Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Getting chain length right
  • oldgit
    Free Member

TBH I've always been a bit random in working out how long to leave my chain. A quick loose fit round a few rings and sprockets until it looks ok then make the final cut and join.
    Thing is if you take out one too many then you're a bit buggered. So there must be a 'proper' way to do this. One were you work it out on a given sprocket or chainring size surely?

mike_check
    Free Member

round the 2 biggest cogs (miss out the mech) and add one full link (inner and outer plates)

westkipper
    Free Member

A useful way to tell whether its right is when in big ring/smallest sprocket, the rear mech jockeywheels should line up vertically

Mister-P
    Free Member

That works for me too Mike.

ddmonkey

Video on this on Dirt site at the moment…

br
    Free Member

same as Mike

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

mike_check – Member
    round the 2 biggest cogs (miss out the mech) and add one full link (inner and outer plates

+1

ChrisF
    Free Member

I use the westkipper method

Coasting
    Free Member

Bear in mind Mikes generally right but there will be some variation needed depending on what length rear derailleur u run and how much rear travel is on the bike

iainc

westkipper +1

westkipper
    Free Member

Thanks for the backup ChrisF, but (coughs modestly), I cant take the credit for that method… it was just a little something that I read on the back of a Shimano cornflake packet. 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Getting chain length right’ is closed to new replies.