Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Getting bucked OTB ??
  • J273
    Free Member

Thought id take the big bike out today, Not been on the thing for a few months. Only did stile cop and then the main cannock trails.

The bikes a 2010 enduro s-works was loving it but every jump i went off as soon as the rear left the edge of the take off the bike was bucking me over the bars.

I had the RP23 serviced and push’d at the same time only a few months back and this is the first time ive taken it out. I was hoping the push and service would cure the problem but after today im still having the problem.

Can anyone give me any ideas as to what the problem could be? As soon as the rear leaves the ledge of the the take off it seems to try and throw me OTB.

I never had enough time to play with the shock today which im guessing the problem?? Could it be the rebounds set too fast? Or another setup issue?

Thanks

stevomcd
    Free Member

Setup issue in component linking the bars and pedals? 😉

Seriously, does sound like you need a bit more rebound damping.

robhughes
    Free Member

That’s just a classic rebound too fast me thinks.
    Shut it right off then back off 2 clicks then take it from there.

kristoff
    Free Member

As above you need more rebound damping to stop the shock extending so quickly.

grahamt1980

What have you been riding recently other than the big bike.
    It might be that you are not used to the feel of the bike.

JCL
    Free Member

Not enough front spring rate/compression damping, too much rear spring rate/compression damping, too much front rebound damping, too little rear rebound damping, too much rear tyre pressure, weight distribution, stem/reach too long etc, etc.

robhughes
    Free Member

JCL.Don’t complicate it for him.Start with the rebound first…..

Superficial
    Free Member

Not enough skill? Or you’re just used to a different bike? What’s your other bike? Enduros are pretty short in the top tube IIRC.

You can try and adjust the rebound (slower sounds like it might help a bit), but I would be surprised if it made THAT much difference. If it was me, I’d spend 5 mins faffing with shock settings then just go ride. You’ll get used to it again in no time.

J273
    Free Member

haha it could well be me being the problem

I’ve been using my 29er HT for the past 6 months or so and not touched the enduro. Bike felt great on everything else apart from the jumps. I do run a 40mm stem which is a bit short but bikes feels good. The enduros one long ass bike with a big wheelbase and toptube so like the feel of a 40mm stem and 760 bars.

Edit: Re-reading JCL’s post could the front fork cause the bucking?? Running Lyriks RC2DH’s but they are in need of a service

maxtorque

Are you “pushing” too late on the upslope? If the rear suspension is still uncompressing as you leave the lip the bike will tend to rotate forwards around your mass.

JCL
    Free Member

Edit: Re-reading JCL’s post could the front fork cause the bucking?? Running Lyriks RC2DH’s but they are in need of a service

The fork will only cause the bucking if it is collapsing into the face of the jump (lack of spring rate/damping) while the rear suspension isn’t. Put 10psi in the fork and try again. To be honest it’s weird that it is happening on a 26″ Specialized as the chanstays (rear centre) are so short that usually the opposite happens and people go to the moon land on the back wheel all the time. Especially with a short stem (you’ve got the right length IMO).

BTW that fork, with that damper is awesome if well maintained. You ever tried yourself? It’s a very easy fork to tune/maintain.

dantsw13

Or pulling on the bars instead of pushing. That’s what I did in the alps and broke 2 bones.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I’d bet money on it being shock rebounding too fast (ie. not enough damping).
    Majority of people run the rear too fast.

dantsw13

Bad technique would have been hidden on the hardtail with no read shock to load.

If you pull on the bars to get the front wheel airborne, it will really compress the back end. When the back wheel hits the lip, it will then unload, bucking you forward.

Cheezpleez

Your rebound may need tweaking but fundamentally this is to do with technique and weight distribution.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Getting bucked OTB ??’ is closed to new replies.