Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Getting an idea turned into a picture for a tattoo?
  • MSP

I have an idea for a tattoo, that I want turned into a picture to see what it would look like. I wouldn’t even mind seeing a few different interpretations of the idea.

I am not at all arty myself, and have not had a tattoo done before, and can’t picture in my own mind exactly how it would work. So would it be normal to visit some tattoo parlours and ask them to draw it out first? or should try and get something more pictorial done first and take it too them?

wwaswas

describe what you want and get them to do it.

imo it’s a lot of what you’re paying for – their ability to interpret what you’ve asked for into something that works well as a tattoo.

DezB
    Free Member

Go to this guy, he’ll sort it

Mister-P
    Free Member

A friend of mine is going through a sleeve tattoo at the moment. He told his artist about his lifestyle and interests then she designed the whole thing for him. I am not sure if this is the way it always works but if I was going to get something quite large done I would want it to go through this process. Then there can be no interpretation issues between picture artist and tattooist.

MSP

Thing is I don’t want to just go to a single tattooist, that may or not end how I had hoped. I want to see some different interpretations drawn out first and then choose which I think is best (or not if none turn out as hoped).

Any good websites for finding a good tattooist?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This thread needs Mrs Toast.

And a rainbow. Perhaps a teddy bear as well.

binners

Get some stars. Stars are cool! On your face!

shermer75
    Free Member

Find a friend who can draw and ask the favour. Bear in mind the limitations of a tattoo- some colours work better than others, it’s gonna be done on a lumpy surface, that sort if thing. Failing that there’s this guy
    Jim’ll paint it

bellerophon
    Free Member

So would it be normal to visit some tattoo parlours and ask them to draw it out first?

I would think so. Mainly because that is exactly what I intend to do 🙂

binners

As Sherman says – do you know any of your mates who are good with the crayons? I’m dead dead good at drawin’ an that, and I’ve designed quite a few tattoos for my mates. It helps if you know ’em, so you know how much of a bell end they are, so can do something appropriate 😀

zippykona

If I turned up drunk at a tattoo parlour and asked for a lions face like kiddy face painters what would the reaction be ?
    Are they legally obliged to tell me to come back sober or in 24 hours time?
    If I said I really,really wanted to be a lion right now how many people would do it?

youngrob

I got a custom drawing done at Red Hot and Blue in Edinburgh. It cost £20 that was deducted from the cost if I went ahead. It did, as the drawing was amazing.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Thing is I don’t want to just go to a single tattooist, that may or not end how I had hoped.

As a designer, I get loads of people like you asking me to do a load of unpaid work so they can then compare it to loads of unpaid work by other designers, so they can see which one is their favourite.

I tell them to sling their hook – I don’t do colouring competitions – and I would imaging any decent tattoo artist would tell you the same.

Anyway, tattoos are stupid. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m dead dead good at drawin’ an that, and I’ve designed quite a few tattoos for my mates.

Steak Bake trampstamp?

Junkyard
    Free Member

a good tattooist, or artist, will do this for you but they will expect to get paid for their time

I know an artist who may be able to help if you want to e-mail me

It wont be cheap though as it would take time to do and you will pay a highish hourly rate £10-30 IMHO whether using an artist or a tattooist

binners

You’d get someone to design something that you’ll be sporting on your skin for the rest of your life who charges £10 and hour? 😯

MSP

As a designer, I get loads of people like you asking me to do a load of unpaid work so they can then compare it to loads of unpaid work by other designers, so they can see which one is their favourite.

Who said anything about unpaid? If I am going to get something permanent on my body, I don’t mind paying for a rough up of the concept first.

Besides if you can’t cope with a competitive business environment, you better start voting for a communist regime 😆

wwaswas

You’d get someone to design something that you’ll be sporting on your skin for the rest of your life who charges £10 and hour?

Maybe it’s a pie chart?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

It wont be cheap though as it would take time to do and you will pay a highish hourly rate £10-30 IMHO whether using an artist or a tattooist

If Junkyard thinks £10-30 is a high hourly rate, this probably goes some way to explaining his anger and general dissatisfaction with the world… 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Need to be careful where you put a tattoo.

After all, the skin could become a little pasty.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyway, tattoos are stupid

Or… a nice tribute to someone you love..

kimbers

MSP where are you based, I have a mate that may be able to help and tattoo artists are often happy to help you get what you want, good idea to avoid going on a saturday afternoon though

MSP

Which actually brings me to my next question, how much should I be expecting to pay for a tattoo say covering my upper pec (6×6 inchish). I was thinking a couple of hundred quid. Would that be a ballpark figure, or would that be worryingly cheap.

@kimbers I am actually based in Germany, near Frankfurt, but am thinking of getting it done in the UK when I am back visiting, it may be easier to work with a native English speaker.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

You’d get 20 hours work out of Junky for that… Your money might be better spent finding him a few jobs to do around the house… Just sayin.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Shib neither of us like the other lets take that as a given and not actually try to be an arse about it on every thread we happen to wander on to.

EDIT: For clarity I wrote that before his second post above this but the point still stands. I keep my faith in humanity to do the right thing 8)

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

The going rate for a GOOD tattoo ARTIST is £50-100 per hour both design and ink.

Look at a lot of artists work and find an artists style you like then go and talk to them. A proper tattoo ARTIST and you’ll note I stress the word artist will be happy to work out a design however you’ll likely have to pay for some time. Always look at a artist previous work and avoid scratchers charging £20 for whatever rubbish pre-print flash they have on the walls.
    I know a few good artists I would recommend in the Midlands, Bristol and Manchester depending on the style you are looking for.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Shib neither of us like the other lets take that as a given and not actually try to be an arse about it on every thread we happen to wander on to.

Ooh… Handbags! Where on earth did that come from Junky??

franksinatra

This forum is like a (slightly) more eloquent version of my kids bickering over who sits where in the car. The ability to argue over mundane things never fails to amaze!

Muke
    Free Member

😀

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

A couple of Tattoo parlours here in Glasgow the rate is £80 an hour. Find out your local shops and check out if they have a website, their staff should have a gallery of their work.

tinribz
    Free Member

Sorry can’t resist.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Do you need a teddy bear or a dog?

CountZero

You might get some help here: http://www.inkedmag.com

JoeG
    Free Member

shifter
    Free Member

Tattoo threads on STW – always good for a laugh 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

Where on earth did that come from Junky??

Maybe some snidey little digs, just throwing it out there. Could be right could be wrong

Anyway you may have just prompted the new “What me guv” defence. 😆

Mister-P
    Free Member

This is awesome!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Anyway you may have just prompted the new “What me guv” defence

how was it you described me on the dating thread again?

Junkyard, my advice to you would be to NEVER, under ANY circumstances, try to be yourself…

They’ll just think you’re an irritating, argumentative, obtuse prick and that they’d rather become a lonely old cat lady than date you.
    Have I misinterpreted this – it seems pretty clear what you think of me.
    Perhaps it means you respect and admire me ?

Its a bit pointless doing all this its even more pointless to deny we are both doing it and I have suggested we both stop.
    Its your call obviously on what you do but denying it is rather daft

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Jeez, you try and give a man honest, sound advice and he gets all uppity!

So you can add “uppity” to that list… 😉 x

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its dull for all concerned and I doubt anyone finds it that funny its just rather tragic.

Do we really have to keep doing this ?
    please just stop its clear what we think of each other but surely we can just move on and behave like adults?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Getting an idea turned into a picture for a tattoo?’ is closed to new replies.