Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Genesis or Ragley?
  • rossburton
    Free Member

I’m looking for a reasonably priced hardtail frame to build a new bike around, and have got a shortlist of the Ragley Piglet or the Genesis Latitude 853. Ignoring the fact that the Piglet isn’t available yet, anyone got any thoughts or suggestions?

I’m aiming for a 120mm fork and probably a 2×10 groupset (unless I just man up and go 1×10), for local riding in rural East Anglia (which means Thetford Forest). For anything more interesting, I’ve also got a Santa Cruz Superlight.

cr500dom
    Free Member

If you want to try a Bluepig round Thetford sometime give me a shout

I was running it 1×9 but gone back to a double set up as I wasnt quite fit enough for 1×9 at the moment.
    I have lyrics on it but wound down to 120 for Thet (Overkill but its what I had available, its a nice ride, Ti Piglet would be my Ideal bike for round here

rossburton
    Free Member

Oh, cool, as the Piglet is just a lighter Blue Pig that would be a very useful thing to do. I intend to be over during the bank holiday at some point, I’ll ping you then.

rainbow
    Free Member

I would Genesis with 853 tubing as it’s lighter and cheaper than the Ragley, Genesis frames are very good imo.

BillOddie

as the Piglet is just a lighter Blue Pig

Not quite, the geo is different…

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Funilly enough that was my choice too except I’d also consider the Dialled Prince albert. I went with the Latitude in the end. Very nice frame. Very comfortable and just feels….right. Had a mmmbop previously which i didn’t get on with. Running 100-140mm uturns. I don’t like it at 100 but 120-140 is perfect.

foxyrider
    Free Member

There is a nice Genesis 2010 altitude for sale on the classifieds:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/genesis-altitude-ht-mint-condition-17-medium

Stevo210
    Free Member

I demo’d a Altitude and I can mirror Pauls words, it just felt right. Soaked up roots and rocks like a full suss. It was a pleasure to ride….looking back not sure why I bought a full suss.
    The demo had a 120mm recon U-Turn, felt super plush.
    If I had the chance again, I would definitely purchase.

rossburton
    Free Member

I’ve just discovered the Cotic Soul. It’s more expensive but the advantage here is that I have a “spare” 100mm fork in the garage already, so I don’t need to buy another.

*And* it comes in orange.

torn…

coticownersclub
    Free Member

I’ve not tried a Ragley but I’ve had both a prince albert and an altitude. I loved the p.a but the genesis edged it for me.

coticownersclub
    Free Member

If you can stretch to it go for the Cotic. Best steel hardtail out there.

damo2576
    Free Member

Why is the Soul better than the Genesis? Seems to be same tubing and geometry.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve just discovered the Cotic Soul. It’s more expensive but the advantage here is that I have a “spare” 100mm fork in the garage already, so I don’t need to buy another.
    *And* it comes in orange.
    torn…

Do not click here.

rossburton
    Free Member

Oh god, it’s lovely.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

been riding my genesis altitude at thetford for the last 3 years hasn’t missed a beat i live in lowestoft if you wanna try it give us a shout mate its 17.5″ though not sure what size you want to try :wink:iv’e riden on ones and ragleys and to be fair nether brand rides like the genesis bikes they just feel right and fit right no gimicks

damo2576
    Free Member

I have to say I bought a Genesis 853 as a donor bike second hand. Was going to look for a nice HT frame. I had one ride on it though and have stuck with it!

stevede
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden either of your original choices but have a Soul and love it. Bought a 2nd hand mk1 as a second bike to my five, the five from then on didn’t get a look in so i sold the five frame and treated myself to a brand new orange Soul, don’t regret it one single bit, the ride of the Soul is really forgiving for a hardtail and the geometry spot on for me. I have u turn pikes on mine and think the sweet spot for trail riding is around 120 – 130mm travel wise.

coticownersclub
    Free Member

Yeah, got the new Soul in orange (medium) with Sektors and have to agree it feels at its best at around 125mm.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Only ridden a soul once and it was very nice indeed. It also wants a 120mm fork, 100 would make it too steep, for me anyway. The soul’s a wee bit lighter than the Genesis but not much in it really. The Genesis is in orange now too. Not a bright one like the Cotic but more classy, it’s really deep and metalicy…v nice.

mountainman123
    Free Member

genesis for me all the way, Ragleys are quit heavy frames and personaly i never felt comfortable on mine. Genesis seems to get great reviews in MBR/MBUK/What Bike.

Northwind

Soul is superb… I didn’t get enough time on the Latitude to form a proper opinion but it just felt like another conventional steel frame, not more than the sum of its parts, while the Soul egged me on and impressed from the first ride. But that’s probably just a personal taste thing.

Blue Pig’s a very different beast, tbh if you’re not sure what you want the answer probably isn’t a Pig, the Soul and Latitude are more middle ground. But I replaced my Soul with an Mmmbop (same geo as the Pig) as I wanted something more hard hitting. I don’t regret it but there’s a lot the Soul did better.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Genesis or Ragley?’ is closed to new replies.