Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Genesis Fortitude anyone?
  • mespv
    Free Member

So after more than a year since the Fortitude’s launch (ish guessing?) and they stopped making it, I finally got round to ordering the SS model, some threads on here with one running Big Apple tyres looked awesome and thought it would be a great additional bike and start out on the 29er thing.

So while I wait for it to be delivered and I consider any immediate additions, anyone that’s been using one have any tips, things to look out for or must have accessories?

I’d be interested to know what full mud guards may fit? Any changes in gearing on the ss? Presuming I can add an Alfine wheel if the need arises?

Or simply some photos to keep me occupied till it gets here for riding and to see what you did with yours…. Cheers

mespv
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/genesis-fortitude-1/page/3

So.. Found a lot of what I was looking for!

po8748850

I have a Fortitude Race. Very happy with it as it is but the only thing I did change were the grips and seat. The grips I swapped to Bontrager Race Lite Plus which are thicker than normal grips and make things a bit more comfy. Nice and grippy too. The seat I swapped over to my Charge Spoon from the old bike, but it looks like the stock seat is pretty much the same as the Spoon. I’ve considered upgrading the bar, stem and seatpost in future, as you do, but not essential.

core

The Madison flux, that they supply with all their MTB’s to my knowledge is the same as a spoon, I have both, only difference is branding/finish.

MSP

I have the fortitude adventure, got some cascadia 29er mudguards from the states on ebay, cost me about 60 notes, but worth it for full coverage of mtb tyres.

I changed the bars and grips, wanted something a little wider and fatter grips. The crank was pretty crappy, so I swapped that out for an xt I already had, which also meantswapping out the BB. I also had to change the seat post clamp, it came with a really cheap crappy thing that kept slipping. I have also had a few rear spokes break, they are not butted, so will be rebuilding the wheel sooner or later.

I think it is fair to say the finishing kit is as cheap as you can get, I paid 700 quid for mine, so still a reasonable bargain. But at the RRP it was rather overpriced.

But the frame itself is quite nice, and the whole concept of the adventure model was exactly what I was looking for.

Does the singlespeed have the mounting points for mudguards?

jamj1974

I can’t believe they stopped making it – can only think they didn’t sell well. Must admit I love mine (SS) gets regular use. Swapping the cranks over for some Silver RF Deus I have knocking around – only because they are doing nothing, the originals are fine and I have changed the grips as the standard ones don’t offer enough shock absorption. Will change the wheels in time to something a bit lighter (I would really like some White Indistries hubs!), but again they are running fine and true. Tyres are probably the next change on the list – that and going tubeless.

po8748850

I think you are right that they didn’t sell enough to make them viable. It’s a niche(ish) market and at list price they were expensive. I got mine on discount too, the spec was good for discounted price and expected to pay a small premium for steel. Agree the finishing kit is nothing special. Also there’s no upgrade path for those that wanted a sus fork (unlike, say a Kona Unit). I hear they are working on a new version with fork upgradeability?

jamj1974

Got mine on C2W – so effectively discounted too! They were a bit pricey at RRP, considering the components.

Alb
    Free Member

Yup, replacement coming…

The new 'Longitude' is shaping up rather nicely. Designated the spirtitual successor to the Fortitude – one extremely…

Posted by Genesis Bikes on Sunday, December 15, 2013

MSP

That is interesting, I have to say the frames weakness is the rear brake placement, mounting them inside the rear triangle has been common on these types of bikes for a few years now, it is a bit of a pain fitting mudguards and racks around the brakes, so that would be an improvement.

Not sure why someone wanted a longer headtube though, in the comments below.

mespv
    Free Member

Can the single speed rear cog be swapped out for another ss unit such as the surley ones using the free hub mounting? I noticed today that it’s a ss specific hub , will this fit ok?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/surly-13t-to-16t-cassette-cogs/

I’m guessing it all comes apart the same as my geared freed hub, same tools etc?

guitarhero
    Free Member

The Fortitude comes with a screw on freewheel like thisone, although the much cheaper Shimano one. I have the surly cog on mine, but I changed my wheels to Hope hoops.
    Enjoy the bike, they’re great.

Here’s a pic of mine.

ratherbeintobago

Also there’s no upgrade path for those that wanted a sus fork (unlike, say a Kona Unit). I hear they are working on a new version with fork upgradeability?

Wasn’t the point that it had rigid-specific geometry?

guitarhero
    Free Member

Yes, that was the point, and in my opinion it’s a better bike for it. I have a Kona Unit as well, and the two bikes feel very different.

I can understand the rigid-specificness putting some people off though, so some sales were probably lost because of it.

mespv
    Free Member

Guitarhero that’s a damn expensive cog! Thanks for the heads up, can I swap the threaded cog onto the standard shimano free hub body or do I need the whole unit? Might be easier to swap the chainring to something bigger. Cheers.

Other than increasing the gear ratio the bike has been great on the first two rides, I’m loving the rigid! Being rigid specific it’ll also ensure it doesn’t morph into a bike similar to the others.

Need softer grips, poss a shorter stem and a carbon bar would be nice. Being all black it looks great…

guitarhero
    Free Member

There’s no freehub body, the hub is threaded, and the freewheel (cheaper ones than the one I linked to are available) screws on. Changing the chainring is probably a cheaper way to experiment with ratios.
    I’ve got an Easton haven carbon bar on mine, and it feels great.

kuman
    Free Member

I’ve had mine for over a month now and absolutely love it. Paid £499. Only changed grips for esi extra chunky and front tyre so far but it’s a great bike straight out the box.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Fortitude Adventure with Big Apples…

…and with offroad tyres:

Built from scratch and constantly changing…

letmetalktomark

Mine.

Built up from a frame only.

Pictures taken yesterday mud plugging 🙂

mespv
    Free Member

So I have a halo clicker to swap out my gear ratio and the four point free hub tool, the standard shimano freehub is crazy tight or I’m missing something because I can not get the damn thing off….?

Any tips?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Fortitude anyone?’ is closed to new replies.