Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 734 total)
  • Scottish independence- where do you stand?
  • metalheart
    Free Member

I expect it to fly apart into its various political parts

Oh super, the coalition in the UK has worked soooo well. I’m sure it’ll be just as great here too….

gordimhor

A yes vote is a vote for independence and not SNP, the Scottish electorate has already shown sophisticated voting behaviour see the contrast between Holyrood/Westminster elctions. SNP does appear to have taken the left of centre ground that labour used to represent, it could be the dominant party for a few years in independent Scotland. However I have been an SNP supporter for a long time but they can not rely on my vote post independence as I am a care worker and I hope for some political party to effectively address the looming crisis caused by budget cuts in social care. After independence any party that addresses that gets my vote. Except the tories hell will freeze over before I vote tory. 😈

epicyclo

Trekster – Member
    …Would you buy a used car or bike from Wee Eck? Just remember he is a failed UK MP before he set his sights on his current fantasy. Ask yourselves if he has got enough people to back up his “promises/dreams/bribes” etc…. The flagship education policy has failed, Edinburgh trams have become a disaster, the Borders railway will go the same way, roads are degenerating into cart tracks due to his mismanagement and the Forth crossing prject. there is a whole lot more he is presiding over that the issues of the EU, the £ and oil are only a distraction………Typical politician
    He has set up Nic as his fall girl if it all goes t**s up…..

Playing the man and not the ball isn’t working for the Better Together mob or their newspapers.

I don’t know about a used car, but I’m perfectly happy to have him head the party that will deliver an independent democratic country to me.

Who I vote for after independence will depend on their policies. One thing for sure, they won’t have Westminster to blame, so there’ll be no excuses for poor performance.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I keep hearing about “its a chance for Scotland to take control of it’s own destiny rather than being an afterthought at Westminster.” Total bollocks! Scotland has a massive influence at Westminster. If you want to know what it’s like to be ignored politically come up to the North East or down to the South West of England. I think this could end up going very badly wrong and costing both English and Scottish tax payers a shed load of cash for little benefit to both parties. Meanwhile the politicians sitting in parliament with their gold plated pensions and inflation busting pay rises will be p!ssing themselves laughing at us. It’s a win win for them either way and it will end up costing us all more. 😯

athgray
    Free Member

gordimhor, IIRC it was 2007 when our “sophisticated voting behaviour” could not allow us to count up to 6. I am sure though our lack of numeracy skills was the fault of Westminster though.

Northwind

metalheart – Member

Oh super, the coalition in the UK has worked soooo well. I’m sure it’ll be just as great here too….

We’ve had 3 minority scottish governments already, it was such a disaster that… oh. You didn’t notice.

scotroutes

FTFY

gordimhor

The 2007 election was riddled with problems.
    1 There were 2 simultaneous elections that day
    2 Two different ways of filling in the ballot papers, x in the box for the scottish parliament and numerical ranking for the local elections.
    3 Three voting systems were used ,FPTP,AMS,STV
    4 The new elctronic counting system broke down
    5 Postal votes were delayed some till too late to be counted
    6 A man damaged a ballot box destroying some ballot papers at a polling station in Edinburgh
    and you Athgray choose to imply that the biggest problem is that the average Scottish voter cant count to 6 🙄
    edit

scotroutes

A well-informed and balanced piece from this weeks TV coverage…

[video]http://vimeo.com/80579833[/video]

rebel12
    Free Member

A well-informed and balanced piece from this weeks TV coverage…

I wouldn’t say balanced as there was no Scottish pro independence supporter on the panel, but the points raised were very interesting and very valid none the less.

The point about Scotland’s deep seated hurt regarding the Highland clearances and whatever else happened hundreds of years ago still seems to be holding them back. Maybe that’s why Braveheart, despite being a mediocre film, and the FREEEEEEEDOOOOOOOM! it promotes has attained such importance to the Scottish people. 70 years ago Germany did far more terrible things to the UK and the rest of Europe but thankfully grudges seem to have put to one side and and we have moved on. Forgive and forget – why can’t the Scots?

Overall it seems pretty clear that Salmond’s white paper is little more than a wish list of nice to have’s. There seems very little substance there at all. This practicalities of independence doesn’t seem to have been thought through at all. I get the feeling that it would be a very messy divorce, with the rest of the UK holding all of the cards, apart from Oil of course which will run out some point soon anyway, and even with the best predictions possible for the North Sea fields, an independent Scotland is still forecast to be a net importer of oil by around 2016.

konabunny
    Free Member

I don’t buy this centuries of hurt bollocks, if only because it requires people to have more historical knowledge than they actually do.

70 years ago Germany did far more terrible things to the UK

The case the other way around is stronger.

konabunny
    Free Member

What’s the running score then?

East Fife 4…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

..Forfar 4

epicyclo

rebel12 – Member
    The point about Scotland’s deep seated hurt regarding the Highland clearances and whatever else happened hundreds of years ago still seems to be holding them back. Maybe that’s why Braveheart, despite being a mediocre film, and the FREEEEEEEDOOOOOOOM! it promotes has attained such importance to the Scottish people. 70 years ago Germany did far more terrible things to the UK and the rest of Europe but thankfully grudges seem to have put to one side and and we have moved on. Forgive and forget – why can’t the Scots?

It’s not a case of forgive and forget. If you look at the history of the Highlands there’s been a lot of unpleasantness imposed on us by our governments and large landowners, and we all rub along together ok today. It’s a case of making sure it doesn’t happen again.

The important lesson from the past is that if you are not in control of your government, terrible things can happen. The less significant you are to your government, the greater the chances of that happening especially if you are in a reviled group. A democratic government while not perfect is the best solution available.

konabunny – Member
    I don’t buy this centuries of hurt bollocks, if only because it requires people to have more historical knowledge than they actually do.

I don’t know how it is for the current generation, but my grandparents made sure we knew what happened to their families in the Clearances, which in turn I have passed on to my children. It’s not the hurt that’s been passed on, it’s the message to make sure that sort of thing never happens again.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Forgive me, but weren’t the clearances orchestrated in the main by the big Scottish landowners – the clan lairds and such? They were clearing their own extended family members from the land which is pretty reprehensible. It wasn’t an Anglo Scottish thing as such.

winston_dog
    Free Member

The Highland Clearances were a terrible thing. Genocide by any other name. They should not be forgotten and I believe Highland tourists should be educated as to why the Highlands are the wilderness they are today.

However, the blame cannot be put only down to the English. This was more a sectarian thing, with the Protestant landowners, English and Scottish, kicking the Catholic Highlanders off the land. This was just after the Jacobite uprising, which was put down by a combined Scottish and English army.

It’s a case of making sure it doesn’t happen again.

Not very likely now is it?

epicyclo

winston_dog – Member
    …However, the blame cannot be put only down to the English…

I don’t blame the English. It was English outrage that helped stop the Clearances.

winston_dog – Member
    “It’s a case of making sure it doesn’t happen again.”
    Not very likely now is it?

I think the remains of the Scottish fishing industry may disagree. I suspect a few may being hoping for a Spanish veto.

gordimhor

Winston_dog is correct in saying that the Highland Clearances were not an English v Scottish thing more an attempt by government and compliant lairds or aristocracy to exterminate the opposition. However I do think land ownership, security of tenure and access is a major issue not just in the Highlands but all of Scotland away from the urban centres.
    Google Dr Jim Hunter or The Poor had no Lawyers.

winston_dog
    Free Member

@gordimhor _ The Poor had no Lawyers looks very interesting.
    I agree that security of tenure and access is important.
    Not sure that an Independent Scotland will make a difference though?
    Scotland has excellent access laws, way better than the rest of the UK.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

“its a chance for Scotland to take control of it’s own destiny rather than being an afterthought at Westminster.”

yet even during the period of the clearances Scotland had 45 MP’s in Westminster whilst the engine room of the UK and empire The County Palatine of Lancashire had 2, who is the afterthought in a historical context?

The County Palatine has had many of the same issues as Scotland in terms of large landowners, lack of political representation, forceful suppression of the people, and the absence of government investment propping up the economy in the 20th century

anyway in a spirit of ” if you can’t beat them join them” as we have found the largest deposits of shale gas yet found we should go for devolution/ independence for the County Palatine ASAP

gordimhor

Good luck with that big n daft

Trekster

“its a chance for Scotland to take control of it’s own destiny rather than being an afterthought at Westminster.”

How is that going to work?

Inbred456
    Free Member

Was watching an interesting debate about Scottish Independence on the box and it appears that Scottish women voters are far less inclined to vote for it than Scottish male voters. They are looking more into the fine detail and realising that they aren’t getting the answers that they want. Could this be a male testosterone fuelled campaign that is about to fall apart as people start asking more questions.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Inbred456 – Member
    Was watching an interesting debate about Scottish Independence on the box and it appears that Scottish women voters are far less inclined to vote for it than Scottish male voters. They are looking more into the fine detail and realising that they aren’t getting the answers that they want. Could this be a male testosterone fuelled campaign that is about to fall apart as people start asking more questions.

POSTED 9 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

And this is based on what? A hunch? Figures?.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

How is that going to work?

It works like this, John. Right now we are governed by a bunch of politicians that we didn’t vote for. Quite simple, really.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think that in general men are more likely to be idealistic and women pragmatic.. Did I read that somewhere?

piemonster

And this is based on what? A hunch? Figures?.

Some might say this response was a bit aggressive, testosterone driven you might say. 😛

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

8)

julesf7
    Free Member

Came to the party late on rather debate, apologies. What I fail to understand in many of the voices in favour of independence here is the rationale that Scotland will get a more representative government as a result of independence, most particularly in the way in which you say you will no longer have a government for whom you didn’t vote.

It’s worth pointing out that the average number of people in a constituency in Scotland is less than in rUK, so effectively the Scots are over-represented at Westminster. Therefore the question of not getting the government for whom you voted is a question of being in the minority,which wouldn’t be the case under independence…unless you’re in the minority! This becomes a question that can be continued until government ceases to exist and we end up with individuals.

As for whether Salmond’s sums add up…happy to return to that one. Few of them do, in my view, as other have said it’s more of a wish list. It would be good, however, if that came under scrutiny, rather than a spurious argument on lack of representation. Bad representation, perhaps, but that’s a general problem of the current political classes

Inbred456
    Free Member

A reporter in Scotland asked for the views of a cross section of women in Scotland what they thought about devolution / independence what ever you want to call it. The majority wanted more information before they made up their minds. This wasn’t an official mori poll. It was just another interesting view to add to the debate. Tad touchy old chap. Strike a nerve did I ? 🙂

mogrim

As for whether Salmond’s sums add up…happy to return to that one. Few of them do, in my view, as other have said it’s more of a wish list.

He’s a bit stuck on that point, though – the No camp have all the data, anything he says will always be estimates / best guesses.

julesf7
    Free Member

Well, that’s not quite true. Take, for instance, the estimates of UKCS revenues: nobody has quite the same bullishness on recoverable reserves and he has yet to back them up. Multiply these by some curiously optimistic price forecasts and you get the revenue that he touts and shouts about. Problem is that tax revenues are net of costs, which are rising dramatically and will go even further as the region matures further. Therefore I’d argue that these are not best guesses at all; they are as politically driven as most of the horrendous ones emanating from the No camp. That lot are doom- mongering, trying to frighten Scots to vote no. Wee Eck is doing the opposite, hence why an examination of the numbers are so crucial

grantway
    Free Member

Just hope they go for it, and be the end of hate the English crap
    But after seeing Question time I don’t think they’ll go in, as they
    have released they will not have the same deal as England if we was to enter.

On the other hand if it goes tits up as to speak what is the cost to the ENGLISH TAX PAYER
    and finical suffering/burden we got to go through !

molgrips
    Free Member

Right now we are governed by a bunch of politicians that we didn’t vote for

Me too. In fact so do most people in the UK. Fairly common in a democracy. Secession isn’t the answer though.

You are quite likely to have q government you didn’t vote for in an independent Scotland for the same reasons.

Northwind

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

Could this be a male testosterone fuelled campaign

Let’s ask Nicola Sturgeon. (she is quite scary though, let’s not rule out the possibility she’s been injecting testosterone into her eyeballs before debates)

molgrips – Member

You are quite likely to have q government you didn’t vote for in an independent Scotland for the same reasons.

The man did not say “I”, he said “We”. Don’t be obtuse. An independent Scotland will get the government it votes for 100% of the time.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Could this be a male testosterone fuelled campaign

Let’s ask Nicola Sturgeon. (she is quite scary though, let’s not rule out the possibility she’s been injecting testosterone into her eyeballs before debates)

molgrips – Member

The man did not say “I”, he said “We”. Don’t be obtuse. An independent Scotland will get the government it votes for 100% of the time.

POSTED 12 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Oi! Andy! I never said that!.

Northwind

Oops, sorry chief, it was Inbred 456! Too late to edit!

Daffy

gordimhor – Member
    Rebel 12 you’ll find there is sn economic case for independence achieved by not paying for trident,

Yup, that’s a whole £20 per person that you’ll be saving each year. 🙄

grantway
    Free Member

Well that would be an average 94.5 Million saving per annum

gordimhor

Grantway wanting to be independent has nothing to do with hating England.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 734 total)

The topic ‘Scottish independence- where do you stand?’ is closed to new replies.