Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Genesis bikes – new models
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

Really like that Fugio also but as earlier mentioned £800 for chromoly is a bit steep, really liking the new bombtrack hook ext also in steel but what is
    “Columbus Chromo”?

johnnystorm

https://kitesurfbikerambling.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/columbus-536×800.jpeg" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />

ciquta
    Free Member

too much 27,5″ crap

the fugio has a bloody 205mm long headtube in my size

the longitude should have been 29+

Vagabond sticks with bar ends because they sticks with shimano

Cdf sticks with compact cranks and a ridiculous 34-32 as smallest gear

not a single 1x option in gravel area, at least fugio and CDA should have one

prices out of this world

massive no-go for me

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was thinking more along the lines of Surly’s LHT, troll etc. Propper niche long-term touring frames. Which are nothing like the TdF, which is more of an audax/tourer.

What? They sell a bike called the Tour de Fer which is designed for full on touring. I just wish they’d stop speccing stupid gearing on it. I’d be able to sell more of them then.

And lo and behold it has a 24-34 bottom gear (TdF is the exception that proves the rule?)

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adventure/adventure/tour-de-fer/tour-de-fer-20

And as if to prove my point (that you can’t please everybody and that people that want a Genesis aren’t weirdy-beardy-tourer* types) further:

not a single 1x option in gravel area, at least fugio and CDA should have one

*tongue in cheek, you’re not all wierd and some of you may even shave.

ampthill

This is Not a Spoon

Your link proves my point. You get low gears with the flat bar version but not the drop bar version

They sell the bike as expedition ready

“Build-wise, we dressed the frame with durable, no-nonsense components that we knew from personal experience are tour/expedition worthy and should last the sorts of high-mileages for which the bike was intended. The spec list should, by all accounts, read like a cyclo tourist’s wishlist; even going so far as to include an SP dynamo hub with B&M front and rear lights! Expedition-ready straight from the box – just add rider, luggage and a strong sense of adventure.”

Surely Audax bikes don’t come with front racks?

And it weighs 16.6kg!!!!!

wilburt
    Free Member

Equilibrium with Tiagra £1k
    Disc Equilibrium with Tiagra £1.5k + 1 kilo in weight.

simondbarnes

And lo and behold it has a 24-34 bottom gear (TdF is the exception that proves the rule?)

That’s the flat bar version

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adventure/adventure/tour-de-fer/tour-de-fer-10
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adventure/adventure/tour-de-fer/tour-de-fer-30

Gearing – 30/39/50 – that’s a road triple not touring gears.

“Expedition-ready straight from the box – just add rider, luggage and a strong sense of adventure.”

13thfloormonk

Equilibrium with Tiagra £1k
    Disc Equilibrium with Tiagra £1.5k + 1 kilo in weight

Proves the point I was making earlier.

Makes me wonder how much people REALLY need/want discs, and how much they’ve just been convinced by the marketing. Is the apparent* better braking really worth £500 and 1kg in weight (on a road bike as well).

I am however a died in the wool disc-o-phobe so I’ll probably never see the attraction unless it’s an MTB.

*I say apparent, I was out on my CX bike today, lots of wet grass and puddles on the trails, and I wasn’t exactly convinced by the braking prowess of my Spyres when the rotors had been freshly wetted, definitely a few overshot corners!

RustySpanner

New Flat Mount MTB standard anyone?
    🙂

My tourer has standard MTB discs and they’re excellent, but my next roadie will be old school qr/non disc, just for the sake of longevity.

wilburt
    Free Member

Exactly, +50% and you don’t even get hydraulic brakes!

The rim brake model is also a nicer colour and with a set of fulcrum 4’s would make a good BTW all rounder.

Although another groan would be the incomplete groupsets. I thought Genesis were something to do with Madison..even they cant fit a full Shimano groupset to a new bike!!

RustySpanner

That Equilibrium non-disc frame is lovely, reminds me of the very first bikes they did, understated.

Skyline and Day One all look really decent this year.

Have to say that Ridgeback Panorama is the nicest one they’ve ever done – amazing how a paint job can lift a bike.

Pinnacle have a steel tourer in the works, James has mentioned it on the big Arkose thread.
    Sounds great – big tyres, discs, QR’s.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That’s the flat bar version

Yup, but if you look at people (and bikes) who go off to Africa or round the world for a years touring, they do tend to use flat bars (or derivatives of).

My point being the Tour de Fer (especially in it’s drop bar guise) is obviously aimed at touring (and Audax, and bikepacking, and CC touring) in Britain, where even at a leisurely pace you can do LEJOG in a fortnight and never more than a lunch stop away from tea and scones.

It’s not aimed at the kind of people who buy a Surly Troll and go off on an ‘expedition’ with 40kg of Panniers (the chainstays don’t look long enough for a start).

I quite fancy a TdF, because I never intend to do the kind of touring that would need Surly ET tyres rather than Marathons.

simondbarnes

(the chainstays don’t look long enough for a start)

They are.

RustySpanner

The TdF is a lovely bike, but as said, the gearing on the top model is daft.

They sadly don’t fit me either.
    I tried both the flat and drop bar models and as a shortarse found the toe overlap to be particularly poor.

Not looked at the geo but hopefully better now.
    The Spa Tourer, AWOL and Disc Trucker don’t suffer from this.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I love my TDF…

RustySpanner

I really like your TdF too, and Mr Poddy’s, Mr Barnes’ etc.

If they fitted well I’d definitely have given the flat bar a try.
    Managed to find a discontinued red drop bar bike (same year as yours?) but that was just as bad.
    Shame, both great bikes otherwise and crazy value at the time.

I’m sure it’s just an issue with small sizes, it usually is,

ampthill

Oh well if you think a 16kg bike with 2 racks is intended as light tourer and people who tour with more gear use drop bars then that’s all fine

But I don’t see it like that

Oh and I road a drop bar TDF, last years. On the XL the reach is 30mm longer than every other drop bar bike they make and yes it really felt it. The bike w was in the shop as a customer had brought it and was now trying to work out how to reach the bars….

STATO
    Free Member

Oh and I road a drop bar TDF, last years. On the XL the reach is 30mm longer than every other drop bar bike they make and yes it really felt it. The bike w was in the shop as a customer had brought it and was now trying to work out how to reach the bars….

The reach is only 20mm more on the XL than the L (same 20mm jump as between every size). Eff-TT is 30mm longer but thats not reach. Genesis are doing what a lot of brands are doing which is make larger frame actually longer, most used to be the same reach just higher.

The gearing issue has been around as long as modern STI. Shimano STI need matching front mech, front mech specs wont allow anything smaller than a 30t or road spacing. Only approved solution (as on Vagabond) is bar-end shifters, most customers dont like them as they have to take hands off the bars so they fit STI.

STATO
    Free Member

Oh and for everyone excited about the fugio, have you seen where the rear mech outer cable end stop is!?

simondbarnes

The gearing issue has been around as long as modern STI. Shimano STI need matching front mech, front mech specs wont allow anything smaller than a 30t or road spacing. Only approved solution (as on Vagabond) is bar-end shifters, most customers dont like them as they have to take hands off the bars so they fit STI.

Ridgeback seem to manage just fine with a 26/36/48t touring chainset and Shimano STIs. I built mine up with DA bar end shifters and a 22/32/44 chainset and glad I did as I really need those low gears when fully loaded!

RustySpanner

You can a fit a 24 tooth min double/triple from Stronglight etc with 9/most 10 speed STI’s no issue at all, although I prefer bar-ends, as above.

Stick a 9 speed MTB mech and a cheap 36 9/10 speed cassette on and that’s less than 2.5 mph in bottom gear on my loaded 26″ bike.

9 speed Sora works nicely with MTB cassettes and mechs, great value too.

Btw have you seen the colour of the Vagabond frameset?
    Ooof…..
    Apart from the Vagabond full bike itself, oddly, I think they’ve nailed the colours.

ampthill

The reach is only 20mm more on the XL than the L (same 20mm jump as between every size). Eff-TT is 30mm longer but thats not reach. Genesis are doing what a lot of brands are doing which is make larger frame actually longer, most used to be the same reach just higher.

I think you missed my point. At size XL

Every other drop bar bike I’ve looked at on the genesis site has a reach of 406mm or there abouts. The TDF is 435

So the CDF was just fine for me but he TDF way to long. FYI the both come with 100mm stems

Why does a touring bike get 30mm more reach than the Volare?

I’m convinced that last year they made a late swap back to drop bars after they had ordered flat bar frames

moorsey72
    Free Member

I have 3 genesis bikes in my stable. Heres my thoughts…
    Cdf custom build, a lovely looking bike (burnt bronze with carbon forks) was set up as a comfy road bike and did 100+ mile rides no worries(now passed on tonthe missus as rourkie on way). High latitude(2015), again looks cool and comfy springy frame but feels too long for me (shortarse). Vagabond (purple frameset),like riding a cloud, a bloody heavy one mind, ive built mine with an alfine which sort of regret but is still a smile inducing ride. I do love the look and feel of genesis bikes but the vfm is going downhill. That said, the stainless steel volare is my dream bike, stunning.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Genesis bikes – new models’ is closed to new replies.