Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Geeks please help… Laptop v DellTablet v IPAD wifes' christmas present…
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

Evening all….

I’ve done some research and still a little confused and need the ‘real world’ experience of this mighty forum…

Our Dell 6 year old laptop is dying, hardrive creaking, fan coming on all the time and battery dead.

We have about £400 MAX to spend.

Torn between

1 – IPAD2 £417.00 from amazon 16gb

2 – Dell standard inspiron laptop

3 – This tidy looking Dell Inspiron Duo.

Seems its a little laptop but you can flip the screen and use it as a tablet, in theory look/sounds good?

DUEO LINK

The thing that put us off the IPAD is although we mainly surf and shop online at home we still do the odd CV/Letter etc.

BUt then again we love our music aswell which will play a big part!

I guess my question is the dell duo ticks more boxes as its windows based, office etc, can be used as a tablet for a quick surf and you can dock it and play music like an ipod via additional docker.

Only worry is the dell duo may be trying too tick too many boxes and is more of a gimmick?

Is there anything else that beats all of the above, like cars im not a badge snob!

Edukator
    Free Member

Bigamist!

(I know nothing about that landfill)

HermanShake
    Free Member

Apple is a bit meh unless you are a graphic designer type. It’s trendy marketing. Other companies make touch screen tablet jobbies, so it’s worth reading up a bit. You can get them on contracts like phones too for not too much per month.

However…..it’s a present. Sometimes you have to go for the thing they’d want a little more than the logical gift. The flippy Dell looks intriguing to me; scratches the padlet itch and will be far easier to upgrade/work on as it’s bound to have ordinary laptoppery inside the case. It’s a laptop with a different screen and an extra hinge, I don’t think it’s so out there as to compromise it’s function.

A flat screen keyboard for proper typing would frustrate me personally! Netbooks also get tiresome for extended typing; I’ve had to do essays on one when this (Dell Vostro laptop) was a bit upset.

fullysussed
    Free Member

unless we know what your requiremetns are any comments are meaningless

mboy
    Free Member

unless we know what your requiremetns are any comments are meaningless

THIS

Cannot begin to make any reccomendation without first understanding the requirements. If just surfing the net and listening to a bit of music, an iPad or tablet will be fine. If editing/creating documents and more advanced computing is required, anything short of a proper laptop will be frustrating to use.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Geeks please help… Laptop v DellTablet v IPAD wifes' christmas present…’ is closed to new replies.