Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • gears on a cotic simple
  • Olly
    Free Member

I have a geared trance, and a cotic simple. I fancy a soul frame for the trance, but can’t really justify it on a whim. Anyone used a dmr/roadrat style hanger tug on a simple ? Would have to be 1*9 gears but I could handle that I reckon…

wwaswas

Alfine?

Olly
    Free Member

I already have the geared bike, and was looking to avoid any great spend. I could just buy a soul frame…

wwaswas

ah, sorry you want to transfer stuff from the trance to the simple?

Olly
    Free Member

Yup. Miss having a hardtail, can’t be bothered with ss at the mo (trimming my fleet down)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Olly – Member
    I could just buy a soul frame…

I think you’ve just answered your own question… 😉

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I had a Rohloff on mine:

DSC_0514 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

DSC_0515 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

Impossible without the chaintug due to the hollow qr axle (nutted axle might have been ok), and a right ball-ache to get the wheel out of the horizontal dropouts. Alfine may be a little easier as it uses the dropouts for the torque restriction, and is a solid axle.

Olly
    Free Member

The soul frame is 430 ish, which is an expensive way of adding a mech hanger when I could just get an after market one…

wwaswas

the dmr one’s probably worth a punt.

wwaswas
    tails
    Free Member

Could you not sell the simple and buy a soul both second hand, I recon you might even make some money.

amedias
    Free Member

what size is your simple Olly?

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Have to agree with bandito…I’m running my Rohloff in my Simple frame….it’s anything but ‘Simple’! I’m using a nutted axle which is actually working well with very little slippage without the chain tugs. It’s still a faff to remove the wheel. In fairness I swap my Rohloff wheel between my Simple and my Orange 5 on a regular basis. After speaking with Cy over the last few weeks I’ve just started looking for a large Cotic Soul which I’ll use with a chain tensioner….anyone have a Large Cotic Soul kicking about?

Olly
    Free Member

With the problem solvers backstop, i could even keep my front mech!
    That website/company is a gem for fettlers like me…

Its a large, but im happy to keep the ss option for now. Its a long tale of me not wanting to fork out for a new ss wheel, combined with never riding my trance as i feel “over biked” on local pootles

Haze

Gears on a Simple.

*cries*

ononeorange

Apologies for slight hijack – irbandito, what are those chaintugs, do they work well in the cotic frame (my current ones don’t) and is it a pain to get out due to the rohloff or the tugs?
    Ta!

Kuco

They’re the Surly Tug nut.

thepodge
    Free Member

I have some geared chaintugs if you’re interested

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘gears on a cotic simple’ is closed to new replies.