Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Garmin mounts – how secure?
  • DT78
    Free Member

I’ll be off to the alps in 6 weeks or so, want to take the 800 to record rides but a bit concerned about losing it. Anyone use the rubber band mount for DH or I have an ‘upfront’ mount on the road bike which seems pretty secure

Haze

My 500 has withstood a fair bit of ragging around the local woods, no DH though.

Could always shove it in a bag/secure pocket if it’s only recording you’re interested in?

aP
    Free Member

I’ve used mine when I rode the 3 Peaks. 32mm tubs down Whernside. It didn’t budge.

DT78
    Free Member

Hmmm maybe I could stick it in the backpack, would be a faffing turning on and off. I remember getting shaken to pieces last time I was out there and barely being able to hold on, last thing I want is to get to the end of a descent and see an empty space where my 800 was!

headfirst
    Free Member

Sounds daft but maybe put a long zip tie round the whole lot, stem and all? Doesn’t need to be super tight and you could line it up so it’s not too intrusive on the display.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

My mate uses that rubber band mount for DH all the time. I doubt you’ll have any problems with it. Seems flawless tbf.

gary

I’ve ridden in Nepal, Swiss alps and Alpes Maritimes with mine, not lost it yet.

I have noticed the elastic bands seem to get a bit stretched over time, so would be tempted to put new ones on but otherwise I think its a safer option than one of the out front options. I think the silicon covers may have a loop to get you attach a leash but not sure.

cp

They don’t move – mine has just survived a journey on top of the car 🙂

But in loads of MTB, road and CX, the quarter turn mounts as used on the 800’s are brilliant.

TiRed

I leave my 500 on the bike when on the rooftop rack – never give it a moment’s thought. 800 is heavier, but I think it isn’t going anywhere.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Done Cwmcarn uplift with my new 500 on my bars on Saturday. I still have it.

mashiehood
    Free Member

On a recent ride in the Dales a colleague lost his 800, he may have knocked it off the mount when carrying the bike.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I think the Garmin team riders used to put zip ties around the GPS but that was more to try to prevent people nicking them than prevent them falling off.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Never fallen off the mount, even when I have fallen off mine!

geoffj

TiRed – Member
    I leave my 500 on the bike when on the rooftop rack – never give it a moment’s thought. 800 is heavier, but I think it isn’t going anywhere.

POSTED 9 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Dedication to Strava 😉

theblackmount
    Free Member

Doubt they’d come off riding. I’ve thrown myself down some fairly rough terrain with the G500 and never had an issue. However it is easy to strike and unclip them if you have a OTB incident – happened to me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve never had trouble with mine. but I did replace the elastic bands with small zip ties as when I swapped it from one bike to the other after a few months they seemed to have lost their elasticity.

But you can use an in-front mount reversed to hold the garmin just above the stem if you’re worried. Added bonus if you use the k-edge style ones that mount it low down and put in just to one side of the stem it’s below the level of the stem if you crash and the bike rolls over.

TiRed

Dedication to Strava

You would not believe the self control required to maintain those bike-credible speeds 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Garmin mounts – how secure?’ is closed to new replies.