Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Gear Hanger for Singlespeed
  • andylaightscat
    Free Member

For those occasional alp trips would like to run a 1*9 setup,
    anyone know wh makes a suitable hanger,bike has EBB and vertical drops
    thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

eh?

does it have a replaceable gear hanger/drop out piece?
    if not I dont think theres an aftermarket hanger you can add to a vertical drop out frame

Your best bet is a saint rear mech that bolts onto the hub axle.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Stoner,no its a custom bit of steel so no replaceable hanger,thanks for the heads up on Saint

trail_rat
    Free Member

shame its not horizontal , coulda used a dmr chain tug 🙁

fit an alfine perhaps? thatd give you same as 1:9 ?

Stoner
    Free Member

the DMR one is good. had one on a jackflash. but as trail_rat says only on trackends.

so Saint or gear hub is your only option.
    You’ll also need a cable stop if running a gear hub, but if you run continuous outer to a mech you wont – just zip tie to the frame.

trail_rat
    Free Member

dont forget something to keep it on at the front end though stoner esp for the alps !

paule
    Free Member

You can just use a cheap pressed steel mech hanger – about £2 from most bike shops. They slip over the axle and the QR holds them in place. You might have to file the hanger into shape if you’ve got cowled or otherwise non-flat dropouts but it works fine.

Stoner
    Free Member

paule you mean something like this? DIRT gear buddy (no longer produced unfortunately)

doesnt really look substantial enough to last long in the alps.

trail_rat
    Free Member

no he doesnt

i know what he means ….that man is onto something that would work as long as you dont got cowled drop outs

paule
    Free Member

That’s the one trail_rat. Used one on my ss jump bike for a while and it was fine (on horizontal dropouts) and have used one while waiting for a new mech hanger on another frame.

cynic-al
    Free Member

gonna struggle with that on a vertical dropout

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Depending on quite how the dropout on your SS is designed, the DMR one could easily be modified by removing the “sticky out channel doobry” that slides along trackends and just clamp directly to the outside of the dropout. That way you could use an existing mech.

5mins with the angle grinder, then 15mins with a file and emery cloth to finish I reckon 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Gear Hanger for Singlespeed’ is closed to new replies.