Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Gear Cabling – Opinions please!
  • strangertothelight
    Free Member

I was wondering if I can pick all your brains on gear cabling.
    I have some Shimano Saint M810 shifters that I want to install. They come with the inner cable, but nothing else. So I need to get some outer gear cabling and some of the bits and bobs for the ends to stop crap getting into the system.
    I wasn’t sure about which would be better between Jagwire Ripcord and Goodridge (cut to the metre), or if there are any others that I should consider?
    Also, where to get all the gubbins I need such as ferrules etc.

Thanks!

Wookster

Hi mate I have gore cables on my HT and FS, just amazing well worth it and have been faultless in all weathers over the two years the set have been on the F S. Really good you can get long sets for full sussers.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Shimano SP41 with XTR end caps and rubber boots.

james
    Free Member

the cheapest outer and (open) ends you can find and then add in middleburn cable oilers. Flush out and (slightly) lube the cable in one with WD40/GT85/etc
    Plus if you cut the outer in the right place you can use them as bump stops to sit against the frame (Eg next the headtube)
    (4mm for gear cables, 5mm for brake)

plop_pants
    Free Member

second the cable oilers. Put them on my winter road bike and what a difference! So easy to keep perfect shifting every ride now.
    Can also recommend the gore rideons. Have them on one of my mountain bikes, still perfect shifting for something like 7 years now.

plop_pants
    Free Member

ps some gear cable outers are 5mm, Clarks for instance, whereas Campag is 4mm.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m using the Goodridge sealed ones and they are OK, really stiff outers though and the ferrules seem to be made of cheese so I am onto my second one at the rear mech.

Tnasfil blacksnakes next very cheap and sealed, apparently good.

plop_pants
    Free Member

pps. If using oilers use decent cable cutters. The oilers are a tight fit so need clean cut ends to push onto.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Slightly OT, but once in a while remove cable and blast outer with GT85 using the red pipe to insert into centre hole – amazing what crud gets stuck inside!

strangertothelight
    Free Member

thanks for the info.
    Just had a look at the Gore ones, and it seems that they don’t do just the outer cable?

If I used the goodridge outer cabling along with those middleburn cable oilers would that work nicely do you think?

I have heard that the goodridge outer cabling is pretty stiff, but to me that is a good thing. The ones I have at the moment are cracking and they have only had about a year’s worth of proper use.

Thanks also for the tip about the good cable cutters, I had heard that it would be a neccessity!

@Dibbs – Don’t suppose you could point me towards somewhere I could find the XTR end caps and rubber boots can you?

Cheers!

strangertothelight
    Free Member

Ok, thanks for the tip, Love Tubs!

Just been looking at the Transfil Flying Snake and it sounds good, a bit more deavy duty than the Black Snake ones.
    Seems to have reasonable reviews too.
    Would this set work with the middleburn oilers or would I not need them?
    I think I have gone off the goodridge idea. It seems much easier to find a set with the inner cable included.

sam42
    Free Member

Nah you have to buy gore as a kit, the cables are coated and they come with a sleeve that they run in, they can be a bit faffy to set up and you only get enough in one set to do one full run of outer if you’re running full outers, but once fitted they are smoooooooooooooooooooth for years.
    Verdict, Pricey, a faff but fully worth it!

strangertothelight
    Free Member

hmmm I value your opinions, and I don’t doubt that the gore kits are top notch, but I think it’s a bit too much for me, spending ~£80 on cables… :-s

Dibbs
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29462

They’re not that big in real life. 😀

oxym0r0n

+1 on XTR ferrules – mine have been going strong for 4 years+

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Cable oilers do nothing perpetuate their own need. Oil goes in, it collects crap and also dries up, more oil needed. Do the instructions on these things say to only use snake oil (GT85/WD40 being essentially the same thing)?

Just use a single run of outer cable and make sure that the ends are cut perfectly and the whole set-up is routed without any sharp turns, which, as a result of the friction which will make shifts feel heavier, will also destroy the outer’s lining and eventually leave the inner shifting against worn away plastic and metal.

strangertothelight
    Free Member

ok, thanks for all the additional info, people!

james
    Free Member

“Cable oilers do nothing perpetuate their own need”
    But without them I found full outers would be blocked in 3 months (with sealed ends)

Granted I didn’t fork out for avid flak jacket or gore ride on but they seem mighty pricey

sam42
    Free Member

Don’t blame ya for not wanting to shell out £80 on gore fella, i’m running it on a 1×9 set up so the outlay was just silly rather than plain lunacy. I was gonna add just pop down to your lbs, buy the outer off the roll and they”ll probably throw in the noodles for nowt if you’re nice to my original post, but i thought we were going down the performance before cost road…..
    The xtr ferrules and cable are nice too though, used them for a bit….

i dont know about all that fancy cable I usually just don’t cut it between stops so its a complete run of outer shroud all the way from the shifter to the mech, bit of lube on the end when you insert (ahem) so it coats internally and your away. Its always been fine for me? I usually rip the cable out of the mech before it gets bunged up?

As for where to buy I just go to my local bike shop who sell it you per metre and chuck a few ferrels and gromits, and doodahs etc in!

strangertothelight
    Free Member

I am planning on having something of really decent performance, but at the same time, I find it hard to believe that I can get something of good performance and quality for less than £80. I just think that the cabling is probably something that if a £20 option works fine, then I will be a happy chappy. I think I’d prefer to try the flying snakes before the Ride Ons because if they work, then I would have saved £60.
    Really value everyone’s opinions on all different cables though.

Might check out the LBS and see what they can offer me.
    Thanks again chaps, I appreciate your input!

Onzadog
    Free Member

When did gore get to that price? Mine were forty quid. Forty five if you want extra housing for a full length (which is pointless if your running gore unless a lack of frame stops forces you into it.)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Threefish – GT85 does contain some oil that will remain.

I am for cheap cabling and lube it – I have a gadget to allow you to use spray cans of lube with stock cables

strangertothelight
    Free Member

It will be £80 because they come in packs for £40 that will only do one shifter, and I need to do two shifters.

TandemJeremy – any chance of a link to this said gadget? 😛

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/562160/Workshop/Cable-Oilers/Bike-It

Its not perfect – designed for larger motorcycle cables. When I recable the bike I will put middleburn oilers in

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s not true. If you have cable stops on the frame, one kit will do whole bike. If your mech needs a full run, order the longer pack for a fiver more. It’s not going cost eighty quid.

neilneilorangepeel
    Free Member

Not sure where you got £80 from for the Gore Ride On kits, CRC are selling them for for £40. The kit is enough to do both shifters and includes inners, outers, ferrules, crimps, basically everything you need. I have used them for over four years now and can highly recommend them. They have quite literally been maintenance free. No need for lubrication or adjustment after initial set up.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Threefish – GT85 does contain some oil that will remain.

Where have I said that it doesn’t?

strangertothelight
    Free Member

Ah. from what I gathered, the kits only did one shifter…?
    Some more REALLY detailed product descriptions from CRC…

neilneilorangepeel
    Free Member

Strangertothelight – No mate, the kit will do both.

strangertothelight
    Free Member

Oh, well in that case the Ride Ons are still an option, although still twice the price of the others I was considering.. Hmm…

Thanks for clarifying that for me, Neilneilorangepeel.

neilneilorangepeel
    Free Member

Twice the price = half the hassle? Maybe, maybe not, but I think so in this case. I’d certainly buy another set, without hesitation, should the need arise.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Gear Cabling – Opinions please!’ is closed to new replies.