Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Gary Tompsett and Tim Austin are doing the WHW tomorrow morning….
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

….kicking off at 7am and aiming to complete before midnight- unsupported, just them 2 and their bikes.

Record attempt?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Dont see how it’s be a record attempt when the running record is 14hrs 20 minutes. Needs to be much quicker that 17 hours to be considered a decent record.

matt_outandabout

Weather isn’t going to be great either – rain and ice/snow on high parts still.
    Best of luck.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks WML- I was asking if it was a record attempt, not stating- thanks for the info.

large418
    Free Member

Good luck to the pair of them. Met Gary on the HTR last year and he’s a top bloke.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why would you choose to do it at this time of year?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I was up there yesterday, from Kinloch heading south. Once off the landy track onto the hill proper the sections of snow covering the path made it shite for riding. I turned round at allt a choire odhair mhair because all I could see from there up was more snow. Hope it’s thawed a bit in the last 24 hrs!

rickmeister

That explains Gary’s search for 29″ studded tyres ..

aracer
    Free Member

I remember Gary touting for companions for this on FB, and checking his messages, the whole point is to do it in winter. I was also thinking the same as rick!

Winter record maybe – I think Gary holds at least one of those for a classic mountain walking/running challenge, so he has form.

garytompsett
    Free Member

Yep, all done now! 18hr39mins, with Tim Austin. Unsupported in Winter/Winter Conditions. I love the sometimes-technical-mtb-race-journey that the WHW provides, even with its included combat-biking stages. Having now done it unsupported one-way in 13.5hrs, back-to-back unsupported in 38hr01mins (with Nicola McLeod), and as part of a unsupported WHW+GGW last year, Glasgow to Inverness, I’m now looking for another Long Distant Route to enjoy!

garytompsett
    Free Member

p.s. the record for one-way is 11.5 hrs by Steven McInnes from Isle of Mull.

matt_outandabout

How was it? Much snow plugging or ice slipping?>

Good effort!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Gary Tompsett and Tim Austin are doing the WHW tomorrow morning….’ is closed to new replies.