• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by zedz.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ayup upgrades
  • lesgrandepotato

Had my ayups since 2008 and still fairly pleased with them, however the upgrade lights are only 120 oz dollars worth a punt? Anyone done it? Noticeably different?

swampi
    Free Member

Yes had some upgraded by trout on here and some from the ayup upgrade. Def worthwhile as you get a brandnew light where originally they upgraded your optics and leds

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I upgraded a 2010 light to a +40% version in 2012, which gave a bigger boost than +40 as the base 2012 light was better anyway. Well worth it. Love the light system and considered another upgrade to a 700 lumen head unit, but with other dual light heads offering 1500 lumen they are not great on the £/lumen scale.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

Are there any other (read dodgy chinese) head units that would work as-is with the ay-up battery?

PrinceJohn

Yup a brilliant idea, my lights are going on for 5yrs old now, did the upgrade at the end of 2012, will probably upgrade again for next years night riding season.

lesgrandepotato

Cheers, I’ll get them ordered up!

zedz
    Free Member

How do you get the upgrades? Is it a page on their website? I had a good smooch about and couldn’t find anything. 🙄

gravity-slave
    Free Member

They used to offer an exchange/upgrade service but not any more. The only option is to buy a new light head, which is 700 lumens.

I’ve got 2 dead batteries and one charger that’s gone pop – just trying to decide if new batteries and charger worth it to keep the system alive.

Northwind

I’m not sure it’s worth it tbh, Ayup are great quality etc but the truth is, they’ve never been bright and the current upgrade takes them up to the level that everyone else was at in about 2010. Lumens aren’t everything but you could get a decent quality (high end magicshine, fluxient etc) and much more powerful light for about the same and keep your ayups as spares.

(I think the Ayups use a 7.4v battery so would be compatible with many brighter head units, but it’s quite likely you’d need to cut and shut the connectors which isn’t ideal.)

RestlessNative
    Free Member

If you have bought from them before then log into your account and the head unit will only be 90 dollars not 120.

I have an old set from 2008 too which I use for hill running now, been thinking about getting the upgraded +40% flood head unit

zedz
    Free Member

Thanks Restless it does appear to be so…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ayup upgrades’ is closed to new replies.