Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Garmin HC GPS
  • spev

I've got an older Etrex Venture(the green one) which is'nt keen on recording info under any kind of tree cover. Are the newer HC models that much better? Anybody upgraded from an older model to the newer HC ones who can give me first hand experience?
    ta

clubber
    Free Member

My Etrex H is brilliant – almost never loses signal even under trees or in valleys. The H really is a set up from earlier versions.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I know a bit OT but what about the 705. I have NEVER knowingly lost any signal anywhere 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

The 705 (and I think all the Edge 205->705) use the H GPS chip so they're all good. Certainly the 205 I've got seems to work well.

Gilles

don't know about 705 but the high resolution of the Etrex works a treat. Very very rare when I get a signal lost now compare to previous model.I really don't know how the soon european equivalent, (Galileo?) is going to compete with the present GPS system.

spev

I'd love a 705 but my bank balance doesnt seem keen. I only use half the features on my venture so I think the basic etrex would be more than enough for me.

fbk
    Free Member

I moved from standard to "HC" vista – the latter is much better at getting signals indoors/under tree cover etc and seems to produce a more accurate track log. It doesn't use the same chipset as the Edge units (garmins own high sensitivity one vs Sirfstar III) but seems to be pretty comparable performance wise.

Geek? Me? How rude 😉

patentlywill
    Free Member

went from Etrex Legend blak and white to HC colour Legend a couple of years ago – makes a huge difference both in maintaining signal under tree cover/inddors and display visibility – well worth the upgrade

jamieandangela
    Free Member

spev

As a member the AA, I get the Garmin employees discount so I got a really good deal on my 705….my email is in my profile if you are interested.

spev

Cheers Jamie I can get the 705 trade and I still cant afford it 🙂

i'll see if I can get an Etrex H trade methinks

sqwheeler

Just to flag up one thing with the 705 as opposed to eTrex – I think 705 won't tell you where you are (i.e. grid ref) – which for me is a fairly fundamental function. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what it says in the review in the latest ST mag?

clubber
    Free Member

IIRC that's the 205/305? Anyway, I think you can get around that by creating a waypoint from current position and then looking at its details.

samuri
    Free Member

I've got the legend HCx and the cover it provides is way better than the previous extrex I had. battery life and screen visibility is also much improved.

tomlevell

Yes as my old ones screen died and it doesn't lose cover in dense steep woodland where the other one did.
    Far quicker to aquire too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Garmin HC GPS’ is closed to new replies.