Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garmin GPS refurbishment?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My edge 305 keeps switching off, to the extent I gave up with it in Spain as it never recorded a full DH run! So either the battery’s kaput, or somethings loose.

Heard mention of a £65 refurbishment service from Garmin, is it worthwhile or should I just put the money towards a new, all singing/dancing one with maps etc?

I’d probably get more from one with maps, but the breadcrumb style navigation works reasnobly well.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Have you tried a full reset of your garmin.My edge was doing this about 18 months ago I eventually tried a hard reset and this cured the problem and loaded updated software and this solved the problem of it switching itself off.

ianpv
    Free Member

it’s a physical problem I think – pretty well documented if you look around the web. New ones fnid the satellites better/quicker, so maybe worth the upgrade.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ll try another reset (didn’t have the manual on holliday), but did find a combination of keys that seemed to do a reset.

JimSu
    Free Member

if you phone garmin UK their support guy is superb and will talk you through what to try. failing that he will likley authorise a refurb replacement with a 1 year warrenty which I found to be excellent

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The Edge 205 what I found at Mayhem was playing up in exactly the same way. A quick Google revealed that this is a problem with the 205 and 305 models, and that Garmin were offering a replacement scheme.

I ‘phoned Garmin, and after noting the serial number, they said as it was part of a batch known to be faulty, that I could have it replaced FOC. I think it was six pounds or something to send it insured post.

Got a braynd new one a few days later. 😀

Not only that, but Bullheart even found a mount for it somewhere and gave me it.

How spawney is that?

wwaswas

is it worthwhile

You get an ‘as new’ replacement (I’ve used this service twice having damaged units) so unless you’re unhappy with the unit you have I’d go with the replacement scheme.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ll give ’em a ring then, best that can happen is a new one free, worst; £65 which i’d get back selling it.

Jason
    Free Member

There is a little spring connection inside that can fail and cause it to switch off. My one started to play up, and it was out of warranty so took it apart and hard wired the connection – there is a guide on the web somewhere. It worked fine after that, well until one of the side buttons failed and I decided it was time to update to a 800.

I would try Garmin to start with and see what they say.

DT78
    Free Member

What the others said – Garmin are great, give them a call. Their service centre is based in southampton if you are in the area. I just popped my 800 in when the edge of the screen cracked (one of the first batch) and they replaced with a brand new unit.

timmys

I had the powering off problem with my 205. If you don’t want to pay the £65 for a replacement here’s the other option;

http://blog.mtbguru.com/2008/11/06/surgery-on-the-garmin-edge-305/

EDIT: I didn’t do any soldering, just added a spacer to keep the connection nice and tight.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Garmin GPS refurbishment?’ is closed to new replies.