• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by aw.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Garmin Forerunner 305 gone wrong – repalce or repair?
  • aw
    Free Member

My Garmin Forerunner (wrist watch type GPS) which I have had about 4 years has gone wrong. I think it is the battery as will not charge from PC or mains. It has done sterling service and I have loads of data from it.

Can I repair it? Is this a common fault?

Should I replace it with another forerunner or is there something better around nowadays?

I used to use the HRM element as well but not the cadence part.

wellhung
    Free Member

It’s not the contacts between charger and watch unit is it seem to rememer this can e an issue?

aw
    Free Member

I dont think s wellhung because I am using two methods to charge; through the USB on the PC and through a mains adapter. I will check however to make sure.

aw
    Free Member

I was wondering if I have to replace it whether its best to stick to the forerunner or is there something better around these days?

I am on garmin connect and so pretty much set up for Garmins

Smuzzy
    Free Member

My 305 lasted about 4 years also, eventualy succumbed to water ingress. I took it apart and all the internal contacts were green and corroded. Same symptoms as yours.

Replaced it with the 310XT which is fantastic if a bit pricey. Its clains to be fully waterproof rather than the shower proof 305. Doing London Triathalon this year so it seemed a sensible buy.

That said, if you don’t get it wet, the 305 on Amazon is a steal

Stoner
    Free Member

aw – this is a well reported problem with early 305s. there is a contact failure inside the body of the watch. Garmin are pretty good about providing a reconditioned replacement for about £60 I think.

Unfortunately its not a warranty thing though. Although Id disagree. Mrs S had one replaced like this and it’s been fine since. Give Garmin UK a call to find out more.

You will also find lots of similar experiences on the running sites

Mrs S still loves hers, and does many miles a week with it. It’s been indispensable for her training as well.

Gooner
    Free Member

Give garmin a call
    they have a standard repair cost and if it can’t be economically repaired they replace with a reconditioned unit (and 12 month warranty) for that price.

Sandwich

Second the ring Garmin approach, had my edge replaced twice (second time free) due to contact problems. Very fast and good service.

aw
    Free Member

Thanks guys…looks like I am giving Garmin a call!

I do like the 305 and cannot afford anything more expensive really.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Forerunner 305 gone wrong – repalce or repair?’ is closed to new replies.