• This topic has 46 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Garmin Edge 800
  • Rip
    Free Member

Just got an email from CRC with an option to pre-order.

Any idea when they’re due for release?

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

My LBS is expecting his by the 13th October.

fbk
    Free Member

Yep – I’d heard mid October

foxyrider
    Free Member

8th October I just heard from a reliable source that will hopefully undercut Handtec for me 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

only has 200 waypoints??? most routes you plot on bike hike are far more than 200 waypoints?? basically means you can only store 1 route of a max of 200 waypoints on the whole system??? seems a bit shite, most peaks rides you would do are at least 250 and even then its more straight sharp angles on the route (not overly accurate)…..i think the dakota has 1000 waypoints….which is at least 4 big rides worth of storage or 2 massively long accurate routes planned…. this means having to delete a route planned everytime you need to put another one on, not much use to anyone who plans alot of new routes/goes new places then is it?!?!?!?

does look nice though…

fbk
    Free Member

Didzy2009 – depends how you store/plan routes.

IME, waypoints are just used for major landmarks/junctions where you need a bit more info than just where to go. I store all my rides as tracks with a pretty much infinite number of track points, and use the occasional waypoint to give extra info.

HTH 🙂

MSP

Didzy2009 – You create it, then save it as trail then you can have as many waypoints as you want. Also you can save as many routes as you want, just copy the gpx file across to it, it only sees the waypoints on the route that is running (thats the way it works on the 705 anyway so I asume its the same).
    But I agree with your point in general, it should have been simple to allow a lot more waypoints and it would have made it simpler for most users.

foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 FBK

geoffj

Surely the correct way to store routes would be as course files (.crs)?

OmarLittle
    Free Member

has the price for the UK been announced yet?

bighendo
    Free Member

.. how much should we be paying??

simondbarnes

has the price for the UK been announced yet?

£350-450 depending on options iirc

Mister-P
    Free Member
    MrOvershoot

Have been saving my pennies & birthday money for this one, better be good!

psychle
    Free Member

worth upgrading to from the 705?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i’m not sure how well that touch screen is going to withstand muddy finger presses during the winter. I’ve got a 705 but i think i’ll wait a while to see how the edge 800 copes with winter.

I like the idea of custom maps and OS mapping though.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ok guys, interesting indeed this – can some one exlpain it to me then 🙂

when you plot a route on bikehike for example, each point you join up is classed as a way point, so sometimes if im being accurate as i can with plotting i have 400 waypoints, i then use the lower waypoints to about 250….and save as a .gpx

so how you can you do this another way, so those 250 waypoints are just a continuous loop without losing the accuracy of the 250 waypoints?

didnt know this was possible, but clearly it is and may sway me into swapping my dakota 20 for one of these….

intruiged indeeed!

geoffj

You need to convert the gpx to a .crs file and then use training centre to upload it. Google .crs converters for more info.

Rip
    Free Member

I just saw that Amazon have it listed for release on November 8.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Garmin are saying 3rd week in October.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I just been informed its now November !!!

BTW on the 705 I use training centre to convert a track log to a course TCX or use GPX converter from std route/track to a course TCX and upload to the course folder on the 705 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cool, does anybody know how to do this on a dakota 20?? doing it this .tcx way seems i would be able to store loads and loads and loads of tracks on mine, rather than keep deleting everyso often to put new one on i want to do??

when i create a course using bike hike, i save it as a .gpx file, then plug in the dakota, open it up and dump the .gpx into the dakotas .gpx folder, then shizzam its on my routes menu on the device after disconnecting….

is it possible to do the same as you guys do with the edge?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

see my problem is i create a pretty indepth course of about 35-40 miles, which usually includes about 300 way points, i dont actually need these waypoints when doing the route, just need a line on the map to tell me where im going…..so is there a way of eradicating these 300 waypoints and just having it as a complete loop with just a start and finish point??

my dakota 20 has 1000way points/markers, which means 3 big routes like that and the waypoint limit is full…guessing if i can get rid of all the markers then i could put tonnes more on there and save me keep deleting etc to put more on…

any help?

again garmin dakota 20 so not the edge….

thered

What’s the benefit of this over the Etrex Vista or the Dakota 550

clubber
    Free Member

Didzy – with memorymap, you the route and way points are separate so you can just delete the waypoint. Or convert to a trail.

Another alternative I just thought of if you don’t have access to mapping software that’ll remove the waypoints, create a GPX file, upload to one of the various mapping sites (eg bikely.com) and then download it again as a GPX and it should have stripped out the WPs.

JustGoRide
    Free Member

If only there was a website where you could plot a route on an OS map, save it to the site and then transfer it directly to an Edge or Dakota without worrying about whether you need a course file or gpx file!

**cough**justgoride.co.uk**cough**

I’m pretty sure I spent the last 18 months solving these issues… or maybe not? 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers guys, but thats what i do at present – plot on bikehike etc it has tonnes of waypoints then download it as a saved .gpx load it onto the dakota 20 and its there – but with all the waypoints i used to plot it?!?!?! does just go ride erradicate those waypoints and just do it as one complete circuit with a waypoint at the start and end??

clubber
    Free Member

IIRC if you upload to bikely with waypoints and then download back it won’t have any waypoints.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahhhhh clubber ill give it a shot! could be perfecto! cheers!

JustGoRide
    Free Member

We don’t use waypoints as they aren’t required for navigation. when you plot using our route creator it plots track points. Once you have finished plotting and save the route it gets saved as a GPX file. If you then download it to your Dakota via the Garmin plugin (via usb) it will save to the Dakota as a GPX file. Do the same with an Edge and it will be saved as a Course file.

Waypoints are generally used for landmarks or points of interest – we generally don’t see a need to include them for what we are trying to achieve at JustGoRide at the moment.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

not sure if we’re on about the same waypoints? i dont mean a way point for a point of interest or something to tell me what part of the ride im on…i just mean when plotting you click on stretch to the next stretch (not sure what these are called but i always thought waypoints?) each time i click to add a new bit of length to a route im plotting it saves them as waypoints according to my dakota, hence on a ride when viewing i have about 200-300 waypoints per ride…..i dont need them, but obviously i needed them in order for me to plot the map? dont know if were on about the same thing JGR?? if yours automatically deletes all the those plots, and just keeps it as a complete route, start to finish then thats what im after 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

CLUBBER – how on earth do you save a route you have created on bikely? or download it?

JustGoRide
    Free Member

Both trackpoints and waypoints, and even routepoints, can all be used in the same way, i.e. to mark out a route. The software/website you use will then interpret this data to show the route as a line on a map.

As has already been identified, some garmins have a waypoint limit, this is why mapping software is better if it produces a route out of trackpoints.

Our site won’t currently do a waypoint to trackpoint conversion unfortunately. Its not something that I’ve bothered with as most mapping software such as memory map and bikely produce tracks rather then a collection of waypoints.

This is another reason why I have added a route creation tool to our website. I find it frustrating that you have to go to countless different sites, converting files and messing around just to get a route on your GPS!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahh right, cool at least i know whats what now, yeah find it a bit frustrating as i could have 20 odd tracks on my dakota easily if they were just tracks even the big rides, but with 200-300 waypoints per bigger ride i can only fit 4/5 rides on and have to keep pratting about connecting it all up etc etc…..

so then this bikely? i can plot a route the same way and instead of having 200 trackpoints (from creating) it will save it as 1 whole route? ie just 2 trackpoints, a start and finish?

if so how do you do it on bikely? been on and cant even see a button to download/save the route at all?? can see an upload button and create button but no actual save route?

clubber
    Free Member

The GPX it’ll create is just a track with no waypoints. The start and finish are just intrinsic to the track and you should be able to ‘navigate to start’ with Garmins.

Create the route on bikely and then once it’s saved, view it (you’ll see it in ’my routes’) and then go to ‘share’ (I know not as obvious as save/download) and ‘save .GPX’.

JustGoRide
    Free Member

Or just create the route on JustGoRide…

http://www.justgoride.co.uk/Content/Articles/ItemView.aspx?id=69

😉

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers clubber, wasnt being blind an odd place to put the download bit 😆

hmmmm though, when i downloaded it as a .gpx from bikely it still had 211 waypoints when i uploaded it to my garmin, ie, i can see the points where i plotted the route??

clubber
    Free Member

You don’t by any chance have any connection to JustGoRide, do you, JGR? 😉

EDIT – OP – sounds like you’d best try JGR…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i think its just the same in JGR too the plot points appear on the garmin device, 212 plot points 🙁 just want a start and finish point 🙁

clubber
    Free Member

LOL – well all I can say is that with ‘proper’ software, you can remove the waypoints…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 800’ is closed to new replies.