Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Garmin edge
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Got a garmin edge 305, but don’t use it as the mounts break repeatedly, cost about a tenner, and although the unit appears indestructible, I don’t fancy seeing it go down a drain or under a truck.

Looking for something that does the same job, but doesn’t fall apart. Heard another company might make something that works a little differently, but haven’t yet found anything.

wwaswas

I’ve got those mounts on 4 mtbs and a road bike and never had a problem with any of them in 5 years – what do you do to them?

mactheknife

Never had a problem with mine to be honest, sometimes i cant get the bloody thing off though. 😀

vinnyeh

How do they break?

I’ve got a 305 that’s barely readable in light, the screen is so scratched and battered, but despite umpteen crashes I’ve never hurt either of the mounts.
    They work in your jersey pocket too, you know, or the mesh pocket on a pack.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

I also have been using a 705 with the same mount with no problems whatsoever. Got a mount on road bike and one on my Marin and they both get used every week.

RealMan
    Free Member

They work in your jersey pocket too, you know, or the mesh pocket on a pack.

I know, but you can’t read them very well from there.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-bike-mount/

Go on customer reviews, then click on the filter, wears out easily.

Also here

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Reviews.aspx?ModelID=21502

Coleman
    Free Member

Maybe it’s due to you repeatedly ‘slamming that stem’ 😯

DavidB
    Free Member

100% sympathise with OP

I lost my 305 on the Ridgeway due to the mount clip failing. The 705 replacement has nearly gone a couple of times and so I used elastic bands to hold in place.

The mount on the 800 is so much better, more positive hold and also reusable rom bike to bike via the band system.

I have not seen an aftermarket mount for the 305/705’s which I think you are looking for

RealMan
    Free Member

Just about to put an order in for this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Bike-Mount-Edge-705/dp/B000EGGRG6/ref=lh_ni_t

Apparently it’s been beefed up a bit. Looks exactly the same..

That sucks David, and is exactly what I’m worried about. Don’t bother with it off road, for exactly that reason. Just too risky.

Just to let everyone know, I am not ham fisted, I look after my kit, and I never crashed it. The mounts were just useless.

geoffj

The newer mounts for the ’05 series are better than the early ones. No where near as good as on the 500/800, but still and improvement.
    If you still feel nervous, and you mount it on the stem, you can add a zip tie for security.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

What’s stupid is that they didn’t put a little slot for a strap on the Edge. On the old Etrex’s you could stick a wrist lanyard and use it as a safety strap (wrap round the bars and thread through) – I can’t work out any way to do something similar on the Edge.

RichPenny
    Free Member

You could drill a hole in the outer casing I suppose. I’ve broken 2 of those mounts, but only when removing the gps. I’ll happily admit to being hamfisted though.

pdw
    Free Member

I’ve had the same problem, had three mounts break on different bikes. Always just the tab breaking off, and the replacement mount kits are stupidly expensive when all you need is the bit of plastic that keeps breaking. I emailed Garmin to see if they were prepared to sell / goodwill some replacements of just the bit I needed but no joy, which I was unimpressed by.

Eventually I gave in and bought a set of 3 from an ebay seller in the US, for a half reasonable price.

rs
    Free Member

I lost my 305 on the Ridgeway due to the mount clip failing.

just a little lol at losing your gps… yes i know you can’t track the actual unit!

druidh
    Free Member

If only there was a way of attaching a lanyard using the slots in the SD card cover on the 705…

IMAG0266.jpg by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

I did manage to break a 305 bracket once, but the 705 version seems to be much stronger.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

So how have you done that? can’t work out from the pic (and can’t find my edge, worryingly, to look)

druidh
    Free Member

Slide the SD card cover off and you’ll see that it has two slots which allow the locking tab to move. A thin lanyard will slip into these slots. Just pop the cover back on and Robert is your parents male sibling.

aP
    Free Member

I used my 305 for about 5 years on road, mtb and cx bikes. The bracket never broke on any ride – some of which included x2 24hr solo mtb races, x2 Tour of Flanders, the Marmotte, the 3 Peaks and about 20,000 miles of other riding. I must be doing something wrong.
    The new bracket for the 800 appears reasonably robust although I’m not overly convinced by the rubber bands.

DavidB
    Free Member

just a little lol at losing your gps… yes i know you can’t track the actual unit!

In seriousness I always hoped some honest person would find it, charge it then follow the last track back to my house. Some hope, they probably used it to smash a Tescos window.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got those mounts on 4 mtbs and a road bike and never had a problem with any of them in 5 years – what do you do to them?

+1, they’re on my SS, the pitch, and the road bike for over a year with no issues, what do you people do to them!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Garmin edge’ is closed to new replies.