Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • garmin dakota
  • mrmo
    Free Member

had been looking at an edge but just noticed some reviews suggesting that the dakota also does bike functions. Has anyone any experience of how the Dakota series function as bike computers and as navigation aids.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I went from an Edge 205 to a Dakota. No regrets. Once you get to grips with how the Dakota operates, it's very reliable & effective at navigation and route saving. Best bit is that you can download free maps off the web via some free software. I bought my Dakota with basemap only, saved a fortune, and use full OS maps for free 🙂

mr_mills
    Free Member

I've been using a Dakota for a couple of months and it's great apart from it has recently decided to start jumping out of its mounting.

Pedalhead – tell me more about the free OS maps of which you speak 😉

pedalhead
    Free Member

Free mapping using this application… http://mobac.dnsalias.org/

Also, the Garmin mount is terrible in my experience. Try one of these instead… http://www.buybits.com/product.aspx?id=6404

mr_mills
    Free Member

You're a genius. Have you got one of those mounts then? Can it mount on the stem as well as the bars? I've just ordered one anyway.

Aidan
    Free Member

I switched from an Edge 705 to a Dakota and it worked out for me, but it depends what bike functions you want.

Nearly everything about it is positive. The touchscreen is good (even with gloves). The display is readable. It's pretty accurate even in trees. The battery life is good (and easily replaceable with AAs). It's good and weather-resistant.

The main thing I miss from the Edge is the virtual training partner function. Also if you are following a route rather than a track, it displays with lots of pins stuck in the route. On some routes that I've downloaded the pins are all so close together that you can barely read the route. You can, of course, convert it to a track, but it's annoying.

Thanks for the map link pedalhead – I'll have to check that out!

Karinofnine

Thanks for the link to the map ! I have a Dakota, I love it, it has transformed my adventures. Once I actually got so pissed off with a map that I tore it up, threw it in a puddle, and stamped on it. The nice thing about the Dakota and the reason why I bought it over others is that you actually see an OS map with your route on it, not a disembodied line.

Yes, Aidan, the pins are a pain but as you say convert to a track, or map as a track in the first place – I use Mapyx Quo, it was free.

Andituk
    Free Member

I'm pretty happy with mine, the screen is quite small, so don't expect to be using it to plot routes on too much, but its perfectly fine to glance at and follow a route, or to check which way a path goes etc. I also find the altimeter to be very optimistic.

Personally prefer routes to tracks, you don't get the beeps on tracks.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Have you got one of those mounts then? Can it mount on the stem as well as the bars?

Yup, I have one. It's not perfect, particularly in that it can be a bit tricky to remove the main holder from the mount without damaging the little tabs that hold it in place. I was a bit rough with mine and broke the tabs off the first one…RAM replaced it under warranty with just a photograph as evidence.

However, it's way way more solid than the Garmin version, and I definitely wouldn't go back. You could probably mount it to the stem if you cut down the screws a bit (or use shorter ones)…you'll know what I mean when you see it. I've been meaning to do this for a while as the thing I like about the Edge is that it mounts really nicely to the stem.

Aidan…did you use the Dakota on the TD?

carbon
    Free Member

Anyone used the application that pedalhead mentioned to make maps for a Satmap Active 10?

Alex

I have an Edge 205 (well I did but seem to have lost it, some irony eh?) and was looking at a 705 to replace it. But the Dakota looks more like a few generations downstream of my old eTrex. More of a "proper" navigation device, rather than a bike computer on steroids.

I don't see losing the virtual partner function on the edge as a bad thing; that's nearly killed me on a number of commutes.

Assume it all works fine with Tracklogs…

pedalhead
    Free Member

yup works fine with Tracklogs here

Alex

20 worth having over the 10? Looks like it.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Definitely worth going for the 20, even if just for the 3 axis compass.

Aidan
    Free Member

Yes, I did use it for the Divide but some sort of mix-up with downloading the tracks meant that my course ran out after only 4 days. It was great while it lasted, and probably a case of user-error.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Cheers, was the gps track accurate enough to follow for the time you used it…or was it just a backup to the notes?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘garmin dakota’ is closed to new replies.