Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • garmin 205 navigation-
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Right i have a fully functioning memory map – i have a garmin edge 205

How do i set up tracks in memory map to give me a track to follow on the screen – i played with this once before when i first got it but decided i didnt like it and went back to a map …..the GPS is just a glorified bikecomputer and training tool.

i intend to ride a C2C next month and would like to use my GPS to keep me on track as i dont want to be looking at a map every 10 mins – i have a timescale to work to. (i will be carrying the bits of the maps i need for the route and a compass also as it is foolish to rely on a gps only….)

i rode an audax with some guys and they mentioned setting 2 waymarks at every turning so that it would alert you – anyone familiar with this ?

abductee
    Free Member

Here's a guide I found

trail_rat
    Free Member

sound – cheeers abductee …..lets hope i dont get lost or ill end up on an end to end not a C2C

Nick

My advice is make/buy a map board (just get a sheet of corrogated plastic board beloved of estate agents everywhere). Print out pages from MM (althogh personally I'd get the 1:25000 scale maps and photocopy the bits you need) and highlight your route on those.

This way you get to know what's coming up, you know where intersting stuff is, even lunch/pub options, following an Edge 205 is awful and should be reserved for emergencies only (i.e. using the breadcrumb to find your way off the side of the Long Mynd in time to get to the pub before it closes…)

brianj
    Free Member
    brianj
    Free Member
    geoffj

IMHO using an Edge 205 for that sort of navigation is not ideal because:
    1. It wont give you an OS grid ref to cross reference the map; and
    2. It runs on a rechargeable battery which may not last a long day in the saddle.
    An eTrex would be a better option.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the battery situation isnt an issue – got a usb connection li ion back up battery.

dont need the pub/lunch options – thats all sorted.

Just need the line to follow – most of the route is on trails where there is only one option to turn off it in 10 miles – i dont really intend to use it for much navigation either – i just want it for a back up really. I have a small board with laminated sheet with directions written on it that imho will be more than enough for me – but to have the GPS to cross ref with will be good.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘garmin 205 navigation-’ is closed to new replies.