Colne Valley challenge thingy – roll call…….

Home Forum Bike Forum Colne Valley challenge thingy – roll call…….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Colne Valley challenge thingy – roll call…….
  • marsdenman

Who’s up for it then……
    I’m told i’m doing it, like it or not…….. out with a neighbour the night before, he’s due to give me a lift to the start in the morning…..
    ‘Heavy shower’ is the current BBC forecast, just does not say at what time that shower will be… πŸ™‚
    wind due to drop though – praise be – the trip Wessenden was grim on Tuesday night, and I was on ‘fresh’ legs – don’t fancy hitting it circa 20 miles into the ride in that kind of wind…. 😯

tombell1989

marsdenman,

Its actually more a 30-mile route! I think it could be grim, but I’m really up for it. Coming off the back of some great training and race results, I’m out for a top 10 hopefully. Wind is going to be horrendous too. It’ll be a laugh!

headfirst

Tombell you must be one of those lycra-team-kit-types who zoom round the whole thing just as i’ve finished the first big uphill. I got the form through the post and was put off by the steep ( no pun intended) entry fee of Β£18 on the day. Also my recollection of doing it in previous years is that the geyser who sets the course is a sadistic barsteward – the course takes you up and down the same side of the same hill more than once towards the end, when you’re really starting to feel the burn. Also as you say Marsdenman, I’ll be getting out for a ride tomorrow instead when the forecast is much more promising/drier. Anyway, all the best and enjoy!

paul78

Assuming its not very singlespeed friendly then:)

anybody else bringing one gear??

hp_source

I’m planning on doing it still MM, although I might change my mind on the morning if the weather’s rubbish.

tombell1989

I know, Β£18 is pretty grim! I haven’t done it since 2004/05 but I have a vivid memory of those hills… πŸ™‚

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

I’ll see you there Chris…

wildrnes

i’ll be doing it on the singlespeed, the first hill will be a bit of a nightmare, but the 5 miles up to wesi won’t be too bad

and my number arrived yesterday…

I’ll be there – missed last year due to injury – ss is staying at home I want lots of gears – and lots of travel for a long hard day in the saddle

Mrtrotter

Yep. Should be doing it as usual as it starts from where I grew up. Weather looks iffy but shouldn’t be worse than the odd shower. On a red cotic if anyone wants to say hello.

knott4me

im in no12. last year was a hot muggy day ill take the rain.

those going ss (you have my respect)

tombell1989

Mrtrotter,

Might say hello if I see you. You probably won’t miss me, I’ll be on a neon green Commencal Super 4. And it’s bloody green!

tombell1989

Has everyone pre-registered? I hope it doesn’t fill up!

Speaking as “the sadistic barsteward”, I reckon we’ve managed to make the best of the limited legal riding in the area.

As for the Β£18.00 ‘on the day’ entry fee – you could always get a Β£3.00 discount and pre-book. This makes life so much easier for the organisers and stops you worrying over whether there’ll be enough places left…

Just for the record though, for the entry fee you will get the following: A fully way-marked and marshalled 30 mile bike ride over challenging terrain; 4 refreshment stops en-route, each supplying SIS sports drinks, bananas, juice and biscuits; a support vehicle in case of mis-hap; a tee shirt; a certificate of achievement with your finish time; the usual post-event refreshments at the finish; and a ‘goody bag’ containing a SIS Go bar, gel and drink sachet, worth around Β£3.50 or so at RRP. Can anyone really say that we don’t offer value for money?

Compare that to the Β£50.00 or so to do MM or SITS etc – which are huge commercial operations generating large profits.

We do the event because we enjoy it, but it is primarily a fund-raiser for local causes.

The funds raised are split equally between the local scouts and Leymoor Cricket Club – both of which are helping to keep people active and off the streets.

Sorry if this sounds like I’m ranting mildly, that’s not the intention. I’m just trying to be transparent with the facts as I’d hate anyone to be mislead at all. Also, I’ll be the big ugly bugger that starts you all off, so if anyone would like to speak to me at all then please come and say hello.

pstokes99

I’ve pre registered, however I’m not 100% sure I am going to go – going to see how I feel in the morning (i.e. are my kids going to allow me anything near a good night’s sleep).

Done it the last couple of years – well organised/marshalled event. Fair bit of road, but not sure you can avoid that. Oh, and there is the odd hill πŸ˜‰

This will be the 4th time I’ve done this & it is a well run & well managed event think its good value for what youu get

I’ll be mainly dragging up hill on a yeti 575 weezing away (screaming like a banshee on the down bits )

marsdenman

its official (subject to the weather when i get up, and availability of pay on the day slots..) i’m in.. 😯
    First time attempting this sort of distance….. if i can do 4 hours i’ll be happy πŸ˜€
    Must remember that stopping off at home is not an option!!

Keith and Nick – look forward to catching up with you – i’m getting a lift to the start, i’m told we’ll be arriving there about 8…..

(Keith – Saw Ben in Wheelspin this morning – he and his Mrs will be doing it, subject, i think, to the same preconditions as me!)

edit – tombell – if you can loiter by the finish and put the kettle on a couple of hours after you get back, that would be great πŸ˜†

pstokes99

TBH – with my geberal fitness level, the amount of riding I’ve done this year and with going rounds the Wyre Forest (Worcs) last night and getting nailed on every climb – I’d be happy enough with anything sub 4 hours.

Was certain I’d take my (steel) hardtail, however breakneckspeed has got me thinking of the comfort of the full sus. Any thoughts?

wildrnes

hardtail
    full suss is so not needed round there

tombell1989

Marsdenman,

I’ll see how it goes! Just gonna try to avoid the bonk for as long as possible…

Don’t really think the entry fee is bad, just being a student, I’m used to moaning about any sort of fees πŸ™‚
    It is definitely one of the best marshaled events though. Looking forward to it, haven’t done it in a few years so will be good to get back to it.

pstokes99 – In terms of the terrain you don’t need a full sus – as it not that technical or that lumpy – I just prefer to be cosseted and my hardtail is a single speed and I’m not that brave

marsdenman

speaking of marshalls – must remember to (carefully) cut the corner at the fall lane roundabout – keep said Marshall on their toes …… πŸ˜‰

Mrtrotter

There’s a few yearly mtb challenges round here now (Hudds, Calderdale area). Having done a fair number of them over the years I’ve always been impressed by the Colne Valley one. The support is good and it’s good to have sis drink and bannanas at the feed stations rather than dilute orange drink etc.. It’s also a good intro for anyone who’s not ridden round here before. Pace yourself (there’s some tough climbs) for 30miles and you should enjoy the ride. Personally I’ve given up trying to charge round (best finish was 15th).I just continue doing it to enjoy the ride and have a laugh and leave my watch at home! Hopefully see a few of you tommorow.

DWH

I’ll be there. No. 46.

DWH

Phew! Finished just as the rain started. 2:51 and one puncture.

4ndy B

Didn’t get there this year, bloody car blew up on the way, pi$$ed coolant all over the engine bay due to a burst hose πŸ‘Ώ

Hope everyone had a good event.

marsdenman

4:06 for this challenge virgin…… very happy with that πŸ˜€
    (target 1 was ‘get round’ target 2 was ‘get round in 4 hours)

BIG BIG thanks to all involved in organising and staging the event, well signed, well marshalled (even had to do the Fall Lane roundabout the legal way ….. πŸ˜† ) and a testing route….

Winner – 2:11 – mental!

Well done one and all that took part – i saw (and was mostly beaten by…) every level of rider and bike (who was the guy on the mental d/h rig??)..
    and who was the poor sod who’s seat broke off his post just before the quarry..that must have been a long walk back..?
    and, hats of to my mate Nigel – freehub went about 13 miles from ‘home’ so he ‘scootered’ it and still beat me by half an hour or so……
    Now, if i can stay awake its time for the pub…

hp_source

Excellent day/ride. finished in 3 hours 00 mins, I’m really pleased with that, considering all the climbing.

Nice one Chris, you’ve earned that pub trip, think you should head for the real ales, for post ride nourishment.

Thumbs up for everyone involved in the organisation, marshalling etc. Job well done.

looking forward to seeing how far down the list I was.

pstokes99

was aiming for less than four hours and got round in 4:12 – but I did have puncture (about 7 or 8 miles in); so reasonably content. Marshalls were really good and the event was excellently managed as always – hats off to the sanity assissin and his team of marshalls.

I too saw the guy on the Spesh who broke his seat post – he looked a little glum.

DWH – very impressive time; just hope you’re not related to IWH πŸ˜‰

stucowp

Hi all i was there, Chris didn’t see you today mate. I came in at 2:37 and wish I hadn’t gone riding lady bower yesterday!

Was a good day for an old bloke like me – 3hr 21 mins.

Well done, RolfHarris off here 2 hr 16 mins and 6th – and he was disappointmed with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DWH

DWH – very impressive time; just hope you’re not related to IWH

Please, no – let’s not go there! πŸ™„

big thaks to all the team another great event – did in 3:30 which was my target time – not bad as I felt like barffing for a good two hours of that – need to re-think energy drinks

Mrtrotter

Yes. Nice day out. Hello to hp_source who finnished about 5 mins before me. Didn’t feel as totally wiped as I usually do. Must have been the coolish weather. No flats or mishaps on the route but my chain snapped riding home after and then I discovered my chain tool pin was mangled!

paul78

Managed 2 hours 34 minutes on singlespeed…

Great day, good atmosphere out on course…

That cobbled first climb came straight from hell… was no easier in car on way home 😯

wildrnes

superb ride
    mooched round in 3 hours 7
    i think i broke a few people when they saw me on the singlespeed, πŸ™„ and i hope i amused those who saw me ranting when i got to the top of wessenden

tombell1989

Had a really good race, finished 5th in 2h 18min. Thanks to all, was a great event.

Premier Icon Ben_mw
    Subscriber

Honestly expected to be in around 3h30. However due to a lack of legs, and my inability to inflate a tyre in any less than 10 mins, arrived in at 3h51. Still, pretty pleased as for a first effort I did get in sub 4 hours, and beat a few club mates. Unfortunately, Mrs_mw beat me back by 14 minutes, so I’m going to have to put up with a lot of gloating for the next week or so!
    Whilst I’m very impressed with the times posted by the top lads and some of the ss’ers, I think that Nigel, mentioned above, getting back in 3h38 having scooted from half way up wessenden deserves a round of applause!
    All in, a very friendly and well organised event. Will definately be back.

Premier Icon MoreCheeseGromit
    Subscriber

Very enjoyable event. Excellent route markers, friendly marshals and snack stop people.

3hr 38m for me, although that was due to the aforementioned freehub failure (by marsdenman & Ben_mw ^ – cheers chaps) on the climb up Wessenden, basically reducing my bike to a zerospeed hobby horse.

The last 12 miles I had to scoot, roll or push. Next time I’ll have to check my bike over a little better.

Nigel

marsdenman

evenin all, not long back from some post ride nourishment (Becks – sorry Keith!) πŸ˜€

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Colne Valley challenge thingy – roll call…….’ is closed to new replies.