Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Garage Door security
  • simonm
    Free Member

I think someones had a go at my up and over garage door… looks like someones done a bit of testing to see if it will open before coming back for the bikes.
    Is there anything that I can fit to the door to make it more secure….besides 40,000volts ?

cheers.

RealMan
    Free Member

A rope.

Then on the other end of the rope, a tiger.

simonm
    Free Member

can you get them on ebay ?

RealMan
    Free Member
    Spongebob
    Free Member

Go to Wickes, but some breeze blocks and some mortar and brick up behind your garage door.

Use the internal door for access.

Job done!

zaskar
    Free Member

Or wire 240volts to your metall garage door…

If you look up motor cycle security they have more useful advice.

E.g. steel clamps that bolt into concrete floors etc.

Alarms, insurance and bolts!

FuzzyWuzzy

I recently bought a couple of these http://www.klamp-it.co.uk/Pages/garage.htm not gotten around to fitting them yet though (which probably means my garage will get done over in the next couple of days)

FOG

When my garage was broken into the attending copper gave me a good tip.Apparently a common stunt is to peel the door upwards with a crow bar.
    To avoid this drill a hole in each side of the metal door with a matching hole in the wood door frame near the floor then put a large bolt through and into the hole in the frame.This stops the scrote peeling the door back to crawl underneath.

Lucas
    Free Member

I’ve fitted some of theseGarage door locks. Effectively the same as FOG talks about but you can open from the outside. Easy to fit and pretty cheap too (have a search around and you’ll find then a bit cheaper than that link).

I decided these were the most convienent solution for me as I take the bike in and out of the garage from the front twice a day. Can also unlock from the inside.

Bruce

Roller shutter door

flatfish
    Free Member

second lucas for the door locks. i’ve got two pairs on each door(double garage).
    i fitted about 50 garage doors with two pairs each about 7 years ago and haven’t heard of any being broken into since, they had a real problem with break ins.

i really reccomend them being a locksmith an all.

p.s. add a ground anchor too

simonm
    Free Member

Thanks Fog. At the moment I’ve run a couple of screws in that manner. The “permenant fix” sounds good. cheers.

Bikes already on ground anchor… but cable chained to it.

Still like the high voltage / man killing animal idea.

sturmey
    Free Member

Google pacri bolt I have a lock up in a not very good area and have fitted them. only time I have been broken into was by the police with a locksmith in tow it took them 3/4 of an hour to get in eventually using power tools. If they had rung the council they would have told them who rented it and I would have opened it for them then they could see it was not a drug den.

tinribz
    Free Member

Those pacri bolts look like just what I’m after. Could you fit them to a normal sized reinforced door to make it kick proof? I get the impression you turn the key to wind out the bolts, is that how they work?

takisawa2

Re-Realman’s recomendation…

Despite disorientation and the ’sound barrier shock effect’, no long-term hearing problems would be inflicted upon the intruder.

Shame !!!

sturmey
    Free Member

tinribz thats correct they do wind out and can be fitted vertically or horizontaly to just about any door probably. The foursided key has a dimple on it to indicate which way to put the key in. Only took me about six months to work it out 😳

SweetJumps
    Free Member

I suggest a good alarm and very, very good insurence, if the little b*g*ers want to get in , they WILL get in.
    You bike is probably worth a day’s worth of crack to them.

If you’re car has a bike rack on I would take it off as this lets the scrotes know there is somthing in the house / garage worth nicking. If they are stealing to order then they will know your house has a bike.

project
    Free Member

Simon check your mail have sent you some info.

the_flying_scotsman
    Free Member

Another option worth looking at is a Garage Defender.

JonBurns
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve just fitted a garage door defender (master) the other week. It’s very good but I had to rebate the concrete a fair bit so the door could clear the base plate. I’ve also seen/used one installed which didn’t need any rebating so it’s probably down to how individual doors close. Worth remebering though as it turns from a 30 minute job to a couple of hours 🙂

sherco
    Free Member

Another top tip for you, is to check the runners that hold the door to the frame. They are probably held in with crap 5mm screws. Try and up rating these as the door will easily pop open if kicked/ram raided!
    Happened to mine!!
    Pacri are good, plus pop rivit some normal door bolts onto the inside corner of the door, if you are able to lock the door from the inside!

Algore
    Free Member

I am now using both Pacris and Garage Defender.

Got broken into before Xmas. So got new door on insurance and the thieves tried to come back. But Garage Defender stopped them, they managed to force it a little of the concrete and bend the steel but the more they forced it the more it locked into the garage door.
    They must have given up, as I found snapped end of the crow bar forced under the base plat. Must have been using huge force and a massive crow bar.
    So recomend the Garage Defender, but because I am a chicken I thought I would go extra safe and put in the Pacris door locks and an alarm.

Check your insurance carefully. I thought I was totally covered, but on my policy the garage counts as an ‘out house’ therefore you only get a allowance up to a limit rather than item by item. So when I borrow a bike I keep it in the house. Or park my car super close to garage door.

emac65
    Free Member

If you can get access from the inside you can do as I did.Get 4 pad lock latches, self tapper them to the inside of the garage door at the corners,fix the other end to the wooden frame or better still the brickwork.then either padlock them or use a nut & bolt.It’s dead cheap & short of pulling the door clean off virtually impossible to get in to.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Garage Door security’ is closed to new replies.