Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Further car woes – 1.6hdi
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

As you may know i had the turbo replaced last week (360 miles ago) – this pipe is now off. Is this an air induction pipe or into the turbo?

simon430
    Free Member

That pipe feeds the turbo air. Probably fixed on by a jubilee clip, so could be a 10mm and just pop it back on. Haven’t noticed a drop in power?

cynic-al
    Free Member

just clamp it back on.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Simon – if i do the clip up tight it pops off again!!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Al – the question is WHY does it come off? Did this pre turbo cock up. And why does it have oil residue in it?

bigbloke
    Free Member

I had same problem the orange internal fitting has ribs inside and doesnt like refitting off n on a lot. I bought a new part and it fixed it immediately iirc it was around a tenner.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

this is new

bigbloke
    Free Member

Ok try cleaning all oil off the turbo part it fits to and the orange part then do it up tight. You certain it is new though?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

yes – i bought it 2 weeks ago and saw it being fitted

JAG

OK – I think it was fitted wrong or just badly, Sorry 😳

When the engine’s running there is negative pressure inside that pipe so it’s being held in place by atmospheric pressure when the engine’s running. So wouldn’t naturally ‘pop-off’

I’d do it again, make sure it’s fully pushed onto the turbo inlet and line up the clamp properly before tightening it up.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

The jubilee clips supplied with those hoses are made of cheese and the threads strip easily. Check when you do the bolt up, the threads are not slipping on the steps in the clip….I would replace with a high torque band (we uses these on our turbo hoses at work). If it looks to be ok, you can also use a bit of high temp sealant on the protruding pipe, tighten up jubilee clip and leave to set for a bit. The clamp needs to be on pretty tight but if the person fitting in the first place applied too much force, as I said before, threads strip on the clamp and off pops the hose.

As Jag says, hoses popping off are much more common on pressurised side of the turbo, other side is under vacuum (there are thick ridges in the hose to stop it collapsing).
    look at the back of the black intake tube that goes from the air filter to the turbo, you will see a smaller black hose with a sensor on it. This smaller tube is your crankcase ventilation line. You see the oil in the turbo intake because the air vented from the crankcase contains oil mist which pools in the turbo inlet hose – perfectly normal no problem.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Further car woes – 1.6hdi’ is closed to new replies.