Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • aaahh can't decide x2 or xt brakes
  • firestarter
    Free Member

Can get xt delivered and in stock for 162 or x2 for 184 ???

honourablegeorge

Nothing to choose in power, XT more immediate power, X2s more feel/lever travel, both reliable, XT cheaper but parts hard to come by, X2s easy to get parts for.

Personally, I hated the horrible plastic chrome of the XTs, and replaced them with X2s

firestarter
    Free Member

Took the plunge ordered x2 plus side I can just bang them on my current pre cut braided hoses and with total after cash back at 178.46 can’t complain 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Good price for the Hopes that. You wouldn’t regret either choice here.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Too late, but I’ve got both.

The hope’s are nicer, the XT’s more powerfull. The hope’s are on my everyday/evening rides/XC rides bike, the XT’s on the Pitch where subtlety isn’t really an issue, you either want to as fast as you are going, or you don’t.

bwaarp
    Free Member

No difference between the X2 evo and the XT in terms of power unless you’ve set the X2 up incorrectly.

Nothing to choose in power, XT more immediate power, X2s more feel/lever travel, both reliable, XT cheaper but parts hard to come by, X2s easy to get parts for.

What he said.

you either want to as fast as you are going, or you don’t.

There’s a very fine line between railing a berm and going wide and over the top of the berm and hitting a tree 6 foot in the air.

Some tips for the X2s.

1) Bleed them exactly how Hope tell you to bleed them

2) The pads take a little longer than most to bed in

3) They come with organic pads, swap these immediately for sintered. As organics are horrible in the wet.

4) Use Hope pads, the brake authority and superstar pads are shite in comparison. Not sure about Goodridge or Clarks.

blisterman1962
    Free Member

mmm, good price, where from?

sheck

Just got a set of x2s in the post today… Oil dots on the inside of the plastic bag they’ve been packed in… Would you send them back?

nickdavies

You can get hope m4 front, x2 rear with braided hoses and 180/160 rotors, and adapters from merlin for £292. Full x2 a bit less, just levers & calipers £202.

I’ve just ordered a set of XT from H&S with icetech rotors for £220 and i’m feeling a tinge of regret I didn’t see the deal on hope’s first, i’d probably have spent the extra – they look cooler, feel nicer and there’s not a lot of difference in power.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Just got a set of x2s in the post today… Oil dots on the inside of the plastic bag they’ve been packed in… Would you send them back?

No, my V2’s have ports on the levers (and I think my old mans X2’s do) that let excess oil from on top of the diaphragm out.

It’s probably excess oil. Check the functioning of the brakes with an old disk or wipe the new ones with brake cleaner after, if the pads are contaminated send the pads back to hope. I guess you could sand the pads down though.

Look for leaks and check lever feel and bleed them as you will have to cut the hoses anyway.

see the deal on hope’s first, i’d probably have spent the extra – they look cooler, feel nicer and there’s not a lot of difference in power.

There’s no difference in terms of power with the Race Evo X2 and definitely not with the Race Evo M4.

rhysw
    Free Member

Xt’s every time. Hope x2 are shit

bwaarp
    Free Member

And that’s why Dirt mag included them in their Top 100 for 2012 and also note a distinct lack of SLX/XT in the top 100 just the XTR. Maybe because the X2’s are the same power as XT’s and almost the same weight as XTR’s all for almost the same price as the XT’s.

nigelb001
    Free Member

as is that statement.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

XT cheaper but parts hard to come by

Parts not available at all

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Thanks for that great in-depth review.

blastit
    Free Member

hope x2 as xt’s are total shit 😀

blastit
    Free Member

just to even it up

Northwind

Most brakes these days are very good. How’s that?

firestarter
    Free Member

Just ordered some sintered pads too 😉 are the tech m4 calipers the same as m4 is it only the levers that are different as they look the same to me , in pics anyway.

I’ve already typed this but it vanished ??

nwill1
    Free Member

I’ve had X2’s and XT, personally I found a big difference in power with XT’s being better, the X2s look much better but I ride my bike not look at it.

Plus I paid £115 for both ends from Rose so nearly 1/2 the price

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member
    Most brakes these days are very good. How’s that?

I’m almost tempted to try a set of Avids to test that theory. Almost.

honourablegeorge

nwill1 – Member
    I’ve had X2’s and XT, personally I found a big difference in power with XT’s being better

I did to initially, but a good fiddle (Tech Evo X2s mind) with the Hopes, and they were every bit as good as XTs

bwaarp
    Free Member

I’ve had X2’s and XT, personally I found a big difference in power with XT’s being better, the X2s look much better but I ride my bike not look at it.

1) Did you have Tech levers as they arn’t as powerful as race levers?

2) Did you have the Evo Race/Tech lever as they are substantially more powerful.

3) If yes to the second, you didn’t set the brake up properly during the bleed, pad alignment and bedding in process. Or you had contaminated discs/pads.

There’s simply no way they’re not as powerful as XT’s, hell they’re not far off my V2 Evos which are second only to Formula R0’s in stopping power.

Northwind

bwaarp – Member

And that’s why Dirt mag included them in their Top 100 for 2012 and also note a distinct lack of SLX/XT in the top 100 just the XTR.

By coincidence I was just reading the Dirt 100, and ya know what? They recommend the XTR (and Saint) but add “if your budget won’t stretch to these then apart from a few frams and a less polished finish the XT version is identical”.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Just ordered some sintered pads too are the tech m4 calipers the same as m4 is it only the levers that are different as they look the same to me , in pics anyway.

I’ve already typed this but it vanished ??

Get the Race brakes don’t bother with the tech levers unless you’re going for the V4 or badly want bite point adjust. You get more power with the race levers but the calipers are the same.

I’m seriously tempted to replace my V2 203/180 setup with a V4 180/160 setup. Lighter weight, insane power and better modulation than my V2’s. Bit of a brake tart. Mmmmm nomnomnom

By coincidence I was just reading the Dirt 100, and ya know what? They recommend the XTR (and Saint) but add “if your budget won’t stretch to these then apart from a few frams and a less polished finish the XT version is identical”.

Spoilsport.

rhysw
    Free Member

I think being blunt is best, there’s noting else to say IMO
    I’ve had both and the XT are way better even if there never going to win any beauty contests. Cheap, reliable and easy to maintain if you need to bleed etc. The power they produce is way better than the weak X2’s.
    Shimano every time for me

bwaarp
    Free Member

So XT’s are as powerful as V2’s then, basic physics and dyno tests disagree with you. Because last time I checked both X2’s and XT’s are about 10 percent off the power of a set of V2’s and that correlates my experiences with them.

Your experience with Hopes is probably what is called….USER ERROR.

Cheap, reliable and easy to maintain if you need to bleed etc

ARRRRRHAHAHA You can’t maintain them as there’s no bloody spare parts and the Hope’s are widely regarded as being the easiest to bleed!

rhysw
    Free Member

Sorry, I don’t recall saying there as powerfull as V2’s. you can’t just make stuff up Bwaarp ( or should I call you Mr Hope?)
    I’m giving my experience with the X2’s and that’s it. No “user error” at all, I just thought they where shit. If you don’t like it, read someone else’s posts.

Good day

rhid

I went from V2s to XT and am very happy. They are a different style of brake. As mentioned above the power comes immediately and I like that. It may not be for everyone though.

The only thing I am struggling with is getting used to the XT lever shape. Coming from my old Tech V2s and the Moto V2s on my DH bike the lever is so short I have not managed to get it in the right position on the bar yet. This is my fault, not the brakes. The brakes are great. the V2s are also great.

deanfbm
    Free Member

My experience of both from being a spanner monkey and customer feedback says xts.

Xts just work and work really well. You cant get spares, but the mineral oil is far gentler on the seals requiring less rebuilds. They also just work and work.

The hopes, yes you can get all the spares, but you will need to use them. I find the x2s just dont produce the same levels of bite and feel. Some people may argue the hopes have more modulation, i just say you have to pull the brakes harder to do anything.

I know it’s user error cooking the brakes, shimanos seem to cope with it, the x2s dont.

firestarter
    Free Member

Funny old site this is 😉 well I’ve got x2 coming with tech levers and they are for a rigid cross country bike so I think they will be ideal as I don’t need eye popping performance anyhow

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

They’ll be fine! I’d rather the race lever but it’s a done deal now. X2’s were up to the task of stopping my 85kg + bike down the megavalance course last year so I doubt you’ll have any issues!

firestarter
    Free Member

Race levers were 54 quid extra so that was a no no 🙂 happy with what I got for the money and it still means I have no shimano on my bike 😉

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘aaahh can't decide x2 or xt brakes’ is closed to new replies.