Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fun with free OS mapping
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

This is still work in progress, and no 25000:1 maps yet. Also some bits don't work in Internet Exploder.

Type in a place name to see a map. A floating list of rides enclosing the mouse position can be frozen by pressing ESC or holding down the CTRL key, and then clicking the route title shows the route overlay. If my gazetteer doesn't know the place you can use OS to look it up, or enter a postcode. Map can be dragged and zoomed. It's still very buggy and liable to go wrong as I modify it

Dibbs
    Free Member

That's rubbish, there's no routes on the Quantocks 😉

Seriously, it looks like it could be quite useful.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Very nice, are the route overlays just areas rather than tracks?

ampthill

Potentially great. But I couldn't make it work outside of the lakes

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

But I couldn't make it work outside of the lakes

there are other places ???

are the route overlays just areas rather than tracks?

they are actual tracks, but I've not implemented a link to those yet, you can zoom them too.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The OS name search is limited to the north west to cut down the hits but the postcode search works anywhere… but obviously I have no routes for elsewhere

ebygomm
    Free Member

I meant more how they were stored to display them over OS openspace

retro83
    Free Member

nice one, looks like a good tool

DoctorRad
    Free Member

I reckon anyone will have a long way to go to meet the functionality of http://www.bikehike.co.uk/ since it combines OS and Google / OSMCycle mapping and will also give you height profiles and a route search facility. Largely ad free as well.

I do like your 'floating list of routes' idea though, nice one. Takes me right back to the days of the GoFar MapGrabber(tm)…

foxyrider
    Free Member

having full screen OS maps Is good defo – well done on the PHP – it is obviously still in progress – I know how time consuming something like this is after doing google map API stuff and website designing myself – keep it going dude!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I meant more how they were stored to display them over OS openspace

they're stored in an SQL table, as extracted from the original .gpx file uploaded from my GPS

and will also give you height profiles and a route search facility.

give me time, it's coming 🙂

And kudos to Ordnance Survey for making the mapping free for non profit use, as I've thought they should for years!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I've made the routes pop up automatically as the mouse passes over the map now

taka
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member
    The OS name search is limited to the north west to cut down the hits but the postcode search works anywhere… but obviously I have no routes for elsewhere

Posted 14 hours ago # Report-Post

because everywhere else is rubbish :mrgreen:

clubber
    Free Member

That's great news actually. Now all that needs to be done is for someone techy to write something to allow it to hook up to your mobile gps to show os mapping on your phone…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

because everywhere else is rubbish

well, I only have routes in the north west – and I wanted to keep down the size of the gazetteer so it didn't load too slowly or become sluggish matching names

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Yep i've found the Edenfield / Lee Quarry ride. Looks like a good update to the site.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fun with free OS mapping’ is closed to new replies.