Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Full suss or hardtail for Mabie?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Heading down there soon and cant decide whether to take my own bike (hardtail) or rent a full susser when I get down there.

Probably only do the Pheonix trail (red) as the Kona darkside looks way beyond my technical capabilities.

Also anyone know if the bike hire place will let you put your own spuds on?

rj
    Free Member

Hardtail. There's nothing there that warrants full suss. It's not the most challenging of the 7 Stanes, but enjoyable enough for a quick blast.

mikey74
    Free Member

Ride whatever you want.

grumm
    Free Member

I'd just use your own bike if it's a choice between that and hiring one. I don't remember it being very rough – I only did the red though, the Dark Side thing doesn't really appeal to me. The red is quite good fun for a quick blast though, as above.

Johnbot
    Free Member

If you have a hardtail dont bother renting a full suss, you wont need it

organic355
    Free Member

only issue with using our own bikes is that we will be coming down from various places (Inverness, Dundee, Glasgow) and there is 10 of us so getting the bikes there could be an issue. Will just have to hire a minibus and hopefully get the bikes in the back.

Quite fancy giving a full suss a shot though, just wondering what the quality of the bikes are like there. Last time I rented at Glentress I hated the Kona Hard Tail I was on but maybe that just because I was used to my own bike.

rj
    Free Member

I think from memory (although that's not that reliable these days) they had some Commencals for hire.

Johnbot
    Free Member

My mate got a full sus at maybie, it was a Kona of some description. If you have the money go for it, sounds to me like you would rather rent than lug yours anyway

Bernaard
    Free Member

Hardtail. I did it a couple of years ago and wished I had taken my HT. Also wish I took my HT to Glentress and Innerleithen too.
    200 miles is a bit far to travel back to get it though.

ewawoowa
    Free Member

The trail is good fun with either. but hiring would be an easier option considering the amount of people and the distance your travelling.

and the deal is if you get someone in the shop to crack a smile you get the hire for free….. 🙂

organic355
    Free Member

So I am going to rent, is this place the best or only place to rent?

http://www.cycle-centre.com/shed.html

Trekster

Not the only place but that is the shop that runs the Shed @ Mabie. On winter hrs at the moment so need to call the Dumfries shop rather Than Mabie unless you call at weekends. Hardtails at the mo are Genesis with the Alfine hub, some Kona full sus and I think an odd Commencal fs.

Going for a walk into town so will drop in and find out. What size?

Bike hire also available @ Ae, mostly Trek & Speccy ht.

Are you staying @ Marthrown?

My local btw 😀 There are 1or2 local bits 😉

organic355
    Free Member

Thanks trekster, yes we are staying at Marthrown. Its for my stag on 19th – 21st Feb.

There are 10 of us needing rentals and I have emailed them asking if I should reserve.

Think we are just going to chill at Marthrown on the Friday night, and brave Dumfries on the saturday evening. Any recommendations of where 10 lads can get some decent food, then on for some beers without any agro?

I am guessing if we want to head to any of the "fine" clubs I have been reading about, we will probably have to split up or not look like we are on a stag do at least?

organic355
    Free Member

Trekster, I obviously didnt read your other post properly as youve given loads of recommendations in there.

Cheers for that.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Full suss or hardtail for Mabie?’ is closed to new replies.