• This topic has 24 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • full sus / dropper post – workstand solutions?
  • monkeyboyjc

Ive recently upgraded to a full sus bike, with obligatory dropper post which is great.
    however, due to the frame design, I now have nowhere to clamp the bike in my work stand without clamping around the dropper post, which may or may not damage it.

Does anyone have a solution?
    How do shops get around this?

Superficial
    Free Member

Put the seatpost up in the frame, clamp the workstand to the exposed seatpost.
    Clamp the frame if it’s a nice round profile.
    Use a different seatpost for meching duties.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Here you go http://bit.ly/PhhhDS 🙂

br
    Free Member

Use a different seatpost for meching duties.

For me this, but then I’ve not fitted a remote.

This is likely to damage the frame unless you are very careful.

scotroutes

The seatpost is designed to be clamped

charliemort

Clamp on the shock? (Prob depends where the shock is)

GolfChick
    Free Member

Being a stealth dropper owner I have this issue too, I either clamp the nose of the saddle or more often than not just use my andy stand the OH got me.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I clamp on the frame can’t see the problem I’m hardly applying any force

DrP

This is likely to damage the frame unless you are very careful.

Eh, really?

I always clamp my frame, not the seatpost. Dropper or not.

Am I going to die? Am I already dead?

DrP

fathomer

Drop the saddle, pull the post out and clamp the now exposed section of lower. Bit of a faff but works for me.

BoomBip
    Free Member

This is likely to damage the frame unless you are very careful.[/quote]

Really? It’s a workstand not a vice

IHN

I’ve been clamping the frame, in fact a number of frames, for years. I’m not dead and neither is my wife.

DrP

Or are we?
    I’m thinking of a number.
    If we’re ghosts, you’re bound to know it…

DRP

grum
    Free Member

Another naughty frame clamper here. I really think damaging the frame is extremely unlikely.

spawnofyorkshire

the clamp on my workstand even has channels in the rubber gripperheadthingy so that brakelines and gearcables don’t get squashed when you’re clamping the frame

sam_underhill

Some jobs are slightly more of a PITA but generally my sprint workstand is a good option when droppers are involved

http://feedbacksports.com/shop/Sprint-Work-Stand-P74C1.aspx

spawnofyorkshire

i have this Revolution Tune Up Work Stand

I like it and the clamp is big enough to hold a big down tube if you need it to

IHN

i have this Revolution Tune Up Work Stand

I like it and the clamp is big enough to hold a big down tube if you need it to

This.

wwaswas

I got one of these;

cable runs meant I couldn’t raise the seatpost easily without cuttingzip ties etc, frame tubes on my Maverick didn’t allow clamping due to shape.

I’ve been pleased with this solution

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Prepstand-Race-Work-Stand_34409.htm

chrisdw
    Free Member

I clamp on my frame too with the clamp supporting under the top tube.

It doesnt require much tightening, just enough to stop it moving around.

In my head it makes more sense than clamping on the seatpost which, with the whole bike hanging on it, is probably subjected to a fair chunk of leverage.

Edit: What do you think your seat clamp does to the dropper? It probably exerts more compression forces than the work stand and it still works fine doesnt it? Just don’t clamp the slidey bit as you might scratch it.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Just pop a bit of pipe lagging on your seat post and clamp away.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

In my head it makes more sense than clamping on the seatpost which, with the whole bike hanging on it, is probably subjected to a fair chunk of leverage.

Nowhere near the leverage of an average sized rider sitting on it during a ride.

Northwind

I either clamp on frame- I can see that being an issue with super-light thinly butted frames but mountain bikes aren’t generally delicate- or drop the post to its lower setting then raise it by the same amount (where it’s a top-exit cable).

If it’s a bottom exit or stealth I’d hope I’d remembered to leave enough slack in the cable!

monkeyboyjc

I would clamp on the frame – but have nowhere to do this on my frame (whyte t129).
    Lifting the post up a little and clamping there seems the most usful option. Thanks for the responces.

JoeG
    Free Member

I’d clamp to the top tube if I could, but cable routing prevents this. So I use one of these

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘full sus / dropper post – workstand solutions?’ is closed to new replies.