why colour coded bumpers ?

Home Forum Chat Forum why colour coded bumpers ?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • why colour coded bumpers ?
  • trail_rat

whats the point in them …. im not talking about from a bumping cars perspective but the fact taht in carparks people treat your car like a mobile trolly stop or open their doors into your bump strips in the work car park. – leaning the bike against your bumper to stop them lying on the floor out of sight of other cars etc etc.

black does not dink and mark like the colour coded stuff…(based on having black atm)

so i want to buy a pug partner/blingo/doblo with black bumpers – to do so i have to buy the “urban” which comes with a lovely 1.2litre buzzbox gah.

then there are alloy wheels …. GRRR – i just want steels – unless i buy a dacia (logan has too low a roof – unless you have photos to prove it can take a bike with wheels on)i cant get steel wheels on a car.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

black does not dink and mark like the colour coded stuff

buy a black car?

then there are alloy wheels …. GRRR – i just want steels

sell the alloys, buy steelies.

My work here is done.

To match your colour coded, heated (natch) wing mirrors, of course.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Tom Howard wrote:

sell the alloys, buy steelies.

Exactly what I was planning on doing when I bought a s/h car (mainly to get smaller wheels and higher profile tyres though, as most of the ones I was looking at were higher spec with silly big wheels and silly elastic band tyres), though in the event I found a bottom spec one with steelies.

As to the colour coded bumpers I presume it’s because most new car buyers think they look good and don’t think about the issues.

deadlydarcy

Because bumpers are bumpers in name only these days.

Nobody expects to actually bump them anymore.

VanMan

I take it this is a new vehicle? If so why not just talk to the dealership? They will happily spec steels instead of alloys, for the same price, just need to change the build code. As for the bumpers just cover them in helicopter tape, works a treat.

trail_rat

obviously someone doesnt want colour coded bumpers if they do the base spec with rubber bumpers (natch) – although looking at autotrader most of the 1.2s seem to be turned into mobility cars for wheelchairs.

it wasnt a new vehicle – but i ended up looking on their sites in wonderment as to why i couldnt find what i wanted on autotrader.

VanMan

Should add though if you change to Steels, at the time of build, you run the risk of upping the CO2 on the V5. Best to replace after you get the car.

EDIT – Didn’t see your last post before replying 😳

Premier Icon pictonroad
    Subscriber

black bumpers fade and look awful very quickly, I can’t recommend them, Steels are good though, Just spec 4 spares….

ninfan

Because bumpers are bumpers in name only these days.

Nobody expects to actually bump them anymore.

Like bumper cars are now dodgems? It’s ‘elf and safety gone mad, I tells ya!

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Its not Colour Coded . It’s painted.
    Whenever one of sales asked me to colour code something I would tell him to **** off.

trail_rat

“black bumpers fade and look awful very quickly, I can’t recommend them”

what do you do with your bumpers ? mines have not done this – 2006 peugeot partner van and 15 year old vauxhall frontera – its a bit of an 80s thing the fading isnt it.

personally i think chipped , scratched and dinked bumpers and rubbing strips look worse – doors make a right mess of rubbing strips

found what i want i think …. seems the crew van versions come with rubber bumpers and steelies …. seems you pay more for less though(less sound deadening , less carpet , less comfort in the front – and get no side windows in the sliding doors and loose the up and over tailgate) but the sweep out ability of the van after a muddy 24 is much more appealing than dealing with tarps and carpet.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

pictonroad – Member

black bumpers fade and look awful very quickly, I can’t recommend them

Depends tbh, if you look at the plastics on something like a Ka they’re often orrible, but good ones last

Premier Icon amedias
    Subscriber

pictonroad – Member
    black bumpers fade and look awful very quickly, I can’t recommend them

I suppose that depends on what you’re intending them to do, look nice or be bumpers…

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Have you considered not hitting things?

trail_rat

wondered how long it would take for someone not to read the original post and suggest that – behaviour like that from a mod as well … or was it just an excuse to try and look snide ?

maybe if people considered not hitting my car ….

in carpark at the supermarket – even if i park at the furthest away point in an empty part – folks always park up right next to my car for some reason.

i suggest car companys put a decent engine in some plastic bumpered steel wheeled cars and call it the “paris spec”

bencooper

even if i park at the furthest away point in an empty part – folks always park up right next to my car for some reason.

I do this. I think “Look at that sad little car, parked way over there in the corner – it must be so lonely. Maybe I should park next to it so it can have some company. Look, it’s cruel owners haven’t even bought it matching bumpers.”

Occasionally my car might give your car a little tap with its door as well, just to be friendly and affectionate.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

or was it just an excuse to try and look snide ?

It was an attempt at humour, grumpypants.

khani

Our black Doblo came with black bumpers,
    Painted black mind…
    I see national Curmudgeon day is going well.. 😀

retro83

Agree with OP, I want a decent engine with bump strips on the doors, black bumpers and steelies. So tired of parking damage from careless ****.

I really like the Japanese spec GT86 for that reason (though the intention is for car modders to replace those bits):

zippykona – Member

Its not Colour Coded . It’s painted.
    Whenever one of sales asked me to colour code something I would tell him to **** off.

What a strange thing to get annoyed about.

trail_rat

im very grumpy today – i fixed my frontera last night got new wishbone , indicator , wing – bled the brakes

drove out me garage – turned round the corner and split the casting on the steering rack….. one of those laugh or cry moments.

trail_rat

retro – i really like that stock !

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

grumpypants

I will be using this phrase often in the future.

Jamie

Relevant > http://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/curmudgeons-day/

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Retro 83..
    Imagine having to deal with car salesmen everyday. Bandying around their corporate tech speak.
    The smarmiest,lowlife scumbags who know **** all about everything.
    What does colour coding mean? Nothing.
    Its a made up stupid phrase.

retro83

zippykona – Member

Retro 83..
    Imagine having to deal with car salesmen everyday. Bandying around their corporate tech speak.
    The smarmiest,lowlife scumbags who know **** all about everything.
    What does colour coding mean? Nothing.
    Its a made up stupid phrase.

Oh right, fair enough 😆

trail_rat

http://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/peugeot/partner-tepee/1.6-hdi-115-outdoor-5dr/2012-(62)/ref/arneu-u-7275/

bar the rotten wheel trims/colour and those white interior panels thats pretty close to what i want.

konabunny

What does colour coding mean?

They want you to assign some sort of code to the color. You should be more helpful. Next time they ask you to color code something black, I suggest you tell them the code is BLK.

brickyard

only thing that comes with colour coded bumpers now a days is a Transit Van Remember when all car came with black bumpers so you could hide the scratches!

mattsccm

I have yet to work out why cars have plastic bumpers. Long may I keep my Landrover.

nealglover

It’s because that’s what the majority of people want.

You are in the minority.

CountZero

(Sniggers)

allthegear

“colour coded”? Sounds like the colour coding should have some sort of meaning…

How about passing a law that requires removeable bumpers on every car, where the colour indicates the total number of claims & convictions received by the driver in the last five years?

I would get to feel very smug with my white bumpers and know to stay well clear of that car in front with the blue bumpers…

Rachel

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Painted just means painted. Colour coded means painted the same colour as the rest of the car. Good to be sure!

Premier Icon mick_r
    Subscriber

Try also searching for Combis and crew vans (although some don’t have side windows so they can reclaim VAT). I think Kangoo Maxi Crew Van, Doblo, Transit Connect etc can be found with steels, unpainted bumpers, choice of engines and windows in at least the sliding side doors. Also usually up to 25% off list price to be had on new ones.

Our Dispatch Combi has steel wheels and unpainted bumpers but only came in that spec with the 90 1.6 HDI. They also detuned the power and torque curves – I suspect to stop fully laden + trailer popping the old 5spd gearboxes. Guess you could easily get one remapped to 115 and better torque curve (Berlingo spec) if not going to use at max GVW……

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘why colour coded bumpers ?’ is closed to new replies.