Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)
  • Full-on anti theft tactics from Preston police
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Sounds retarded tbh…Aye it may catch a few but, it’s also taking targeting and hassling far more innocent people. I paid cash for my bike 4 years ago and have no proof of ownership, are they really going to go back to the shop i bought it expecting the guy to remember ever sale he ever made?

Plus logistically it’d be impossible to impliment.

imnotverygood

that’s the Law.

No it isn’t. You are an idiot.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh I am, am I?

Sez someone calling themselves ‘Imnotverygood’. 😆

Before calling someone else an idiot, it might seve you well to actualy take the time to find out about the thing you think they are being an idiot about.

I’ll help you out a bit:

Reasonable grounds for suspicion

Most stop and search powers can only be exercised where the constable is acting on ‘reasonable suspicion’. This includes the power to search a person for illegal drugs under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 and the power to search for stolen or prohibited items under PACE. The meaning of ‘reasonable suspicion’ is found in Code A.

There must be some basis for the officer’s belief, related to you personally, which can be considered and evaluated by an objective third person. Mere suspicion based on hunch or instinct might justify observation but cannot justify a search.

However, reasonable suspicion can sometimes exist without specific information or intelligence and on the basis of some level of generalisation stemming from the behaviour of a person. For example, if an officer encounters someone on the street at night obviously trying to hide something, this clearly constitutes conduct that might reasonably lead the officer to suspect that stolen or prohibited articles are being carried.

The power must be used fairly, responsibly, with respect for people being searched and without unlawful discrimination. This would include discrimination on grounds of race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality or national origin. Accordingly, reasonable grounds for suspicion cannot be based solely on attitudes or prejudices towards certain types of people, such as membership of a group within which offenders of a certain kind are relatively common – for example, young football fans. Nor can it be based solely on your skin colour, age, hairstyle, mode of dress or previous convictions.

There you go. HTH.

X

I may well be an idiot, but at least I’m right. 😀

imnotverygood

Who said my comment about you was due to what you had just posted? It may just have been a general observation:lol:

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Who said my comment about you was due to what you had just posted?

Erm, you quoted something I’d just posted, then called me an idiot. I’d say that would suggest you were calling me an idiot because of that comment.

At that moment when you realised I was in fact right, did you feel a sudden wave of anger surge through you?
    Then, as that subsided, you then felt the urge to respond with a witty retort?

You did, din’t you?

And you know why you did? Because I made you.

Yes it’s true. I control your thoughts and actions. 🙂

So, you are being controlled by someone on the internet who you consider to be an idiot.

It must be rather frustrating to be controlled by an idiot. How does it feel? Could you perhaps construct a little poem expressing your thoughts and emotions on this?

Go on, give it a go…

Dickyboy

The only time I’ve retrieved a bike was by dealing with matters myself, without involving police

yup me too – seemingly police could only pop round and advise the “keeper” of my bike not to sell it on or otherwise dispose of it & that’s despite me having logged the frame number on crime report just two weeks earlier & still having the receipt for the relatively new bike too!

MrAgreeable

Use decent locks. Lock up in safer places. Consider a cheap bike in a high bike theft area. Get insurance to soften the blow (good for the economy that one). Badger your work for secure bike storage.

Which is classic Blame The Victim stuff.

Insurance? It just feeds bike crime. I’ve heard so many examples of people getting their payout, buying a shiny new bike and then having the thieves pay them a return visit. 😯

I do think a properly carried out campaign against bike crime could be really successful against property crime as a whole. People care for their bikes, they have sentimental attachment to them. You don’t build up a custom electric drill or plasma screen telly, yet I know loads of people who can name every part on their bike.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I haven’t waded through 4 pages of this but surely if a photo of the rider on the bike is proof of ownership then it’s going nowhere – every scally has a cameraphone.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Which is classic Blame The Victim stuff.

No it’s not, it’s just being pragmatic and sensible really. I know that the police are virtually unable to prevent possible theft of my bicycle, and to recover it if it is stolen, so I take appropriate measures to secure it against theft and minimise the economic damage if it is stolen.

People care for their bikes, they have sentimental attachment to them

The more value you place on a material thing, the more value it has to someone else too. The relative average cost of a bike has gone up considerably; once most folk wooduv spent just a couple of hundred quid tops on a bike, now it’s not uncommon to see people riding round on bikes costing over a grand and much more. If something is precious to you and there’s a risk of losing, it, then look after it properly. Don’t go crying when your inadequately locked up expensive bike is nicked; be aware of the possible risks and take appropriate measures to secure your own property.

I do think a properly carried out campaign against bike crime could be really successful against property crime as a whole.

Idealistic at best I’m afraid. Whilst we live in an increasingly materialistic society where status is gained through ownership of things, and there are large numbers of people who cannot afford such things, you will have envy, jealousy and resentment. The driving force behind most property theft.

Wasting money on populist campaigns which involve pulling over random cyclists is not going to solve bike theft.

Stuff like investing in RFID or similar technology might help though….

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

What if I’m in Preston and see a bike I like the look of? Can I make a citizen arrest?
    ” In the name of the law I’m confiscating this rather nice looking bike ” 😀

MrAgreeable

I think saying “well, you brought it on yourself” is a pretty deficient response to criminal behaviour. Try applying the same logic to violent crime or sexual offences. The police round our way have been doing a lot of work to raise awareness of theft and techniques to prevent it, but it’s not really good enough to say “look after your stuff”.

A lot of theft is the easy, obvious targets but people have also had doors smashed in with axes and even had frames cut through to take the parts. Thankfully this is rare but it has got to the point where it is a real deterrent to people riding bikes at all, let alone nice ones.

Building up a bike that looks crap but functions well is a lot of work and expense, and most people without access to a shop spares bin or a hoarder mate’s attic just aren’t going to bother. Crap bikes get stolen all the time too.

I don’t see how a radio tagged bike has significantly less chance of resulting in a wrongful arrest or caution than a random stop and check. There is still a possibility that an innocent person may end up riding it.

A lot of responses on here seem to be yet another example of the community not being prepared to meet the police half way.

scaredypants

I think this policy sounds great. Really should be extended to giving the thief gentle kicking too.

OK, the odd shifty looking geezer like fred might get it too but that’s a price I’m willing to pay 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Full-on anti theft tactics from Preston police’ is closed to new replies.