Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fuerteventura info
  • cutsngrazes
    Free Member

Anyone camped there
    Anyone biked there – road or mountain?
    Go time to go?
    know anywhere cheap to stay out of season?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Whent there in 2007 hired a few bikes for a couple of days but we were middle summer season and it was hot. My ex kept moaning about the heat so we didn’t do too much peddling. We stayed in Carrelejo in the north.

cutsngrazes
    Free Member

thanks catflees – were the trails any good?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Been there a few times but only ever on packages.
    Its always hot. Really hot
    there isn’t really an off season, as you get surfers there all year round.
    Its not really an expensive place to go anyway, but you’ll need to find a chalet which might cost a bit.

Its not the island i would choose for riding though. Good Place for sun and Surf

cutsngrazes
    Free Member

hm – cant surf 🙁
    Which Island would you choose to road bike on if you were going in Feb?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Feb, Jun, Sep, Dec its always the same. Really hot!! 🙂

I’ve been to all of them in feb/march and the weather is great, really hot, and very dry.
    I’ve never taken a bike, but i’ve seen many with bikes in their appts, and no-one in the hotels cares.
    If i was road riding i would go tenerife, as Teide is one of the biggest climbs in spain

Mikkel
    Free Member

some nice trails on Gran Canaria.

cutsngrazes
    Free Member

oh no decisions!!
    Which is better for a road bike enthusiast?
    Would anyone rec cyprus over the canaries??

woody2000

It’s windy ‘n’ hot…..

cutsngrazes
    Free Member

average temp in feb for fueteventura says 18 – that;s nice!! not too hot!

donsimon
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have thought it would get too hot, but I’m used to hotter temps.
    I took the road bike a few years ago and just headed out, again it felt nice and safe coming from the crazyness that is Madrid. If you’re there for a week then there is plenty of tarmac to have a bit of variety, downside is that there is only one hill and it’s not really a challenge.
    The trails did look a bit boring, to be honest. Pretty much all driveable but away from the traffic, but you can just head off road and go pretty much where you want without too many traffic problems, except the tourists in the 4X4s. It’s difficult to get lost when you’re surrounded by water.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Tbh the trails were difficult as they were covered in sand, it IS exceptionaly windy. I don’t mean a bit of sand I mean the kind of sand you sink into, have to get off and lift the poorly maintained Scott you spent your euros hiring out. There’s a lot of nothing in the middle of the island a huge hill, sand and sand. Each day was a red flag on the beach that was heavily enforced by the life gaurds, I love snorkeling so was a bit disapointed, overall I wouldn’t rush back. Our resort was a bit tacky, I prefer menorca, more laid back, better trails & snorkeling. Cycled in Cyprus about 10 years ago, seem to remember enjoying that, but that was a beer filled holiday in my youth. Hope you have fun no matter were you go.

donsimon
    Free Member

There’s a lot of nothing in the middle of the island a huge hill,

Huge? Are you from the part of Norfolk that the locals call flat?

cutsngrazes
    Free Member

ok thanks guys – so anyone mountain biked in cyprus?
    Road biked?

kimbers

its hot and windy, well was when i was there in may a few years back

there was some good riding to be found but it did require some improvisation and we were never quite sure of the legality of our trails

fwiw mtbing in cyprus around teh troodos was better

mrmo
    Free Member

went out to Fuerteventura a couple of years ago, i stayed in Caleta de Fustes not a huge number of tracks but what there was was ridable, rocky, rode up a couple of extinct volcanoes. dirt roads etc. I didn’t find much that resembled singletrack, certainly rocky loose decents.

Lots of roads to ride.but the wind is a bit on the strong side for road riding.

donsimon
    Free Member

cutsngrazes – Member

ok thanks guys – so anyone mountain biked in cyprus?
    Road biked?

😆

inkster
    Free Member

Lanzarote for road biking, stayed near playa blanca in the south last xmas, perfect roads cut through a lunar landscape. Did’nt bother doing any mtn biking, roads were great.

Flaperon

Was there last week (albeit for 30 mins) and it wasn’t that warm and was bloody windy. Nicer places to go than the Canaries, believe me. Cyprus?

trailmonkey

have gone there for the last 11 winters, so know it pretty well. the wind is a summer thing really so jan/feb is perfect with temps around 18-24. we go to costa calma in the south and i’ve taken a bike with me a few times. lots of tracks and trails out in the desert. nothing overly technical but it’s winter and 20+ degrees and you’re on your bike when everyone else is at work 😀 there’s a company called volcano bike that do guided rides and bike hire. google them for info.

i’m off on feb 18, can’t wait.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fuerteventura info’ is closed to new replies.