Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Frozen car door locks.
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Any tips to stop my car door locks from freezing solid. The bloody key won’t go in. Hot water works but it freezes again and makes things worse. WD40 doesn’t generally freeze but it doesn’t work in this case. I guess it needs a penetrating lubricant or coating that won’t freeze. Fire isn’t good for paint work.

tjp1980
    Free Member

And while we’re at it, how to stop the doors freezing shut? Would have thought a Saab should be able to withstand colder than -1…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Piss on it

tjp1980
    Free Member

Would some Teflon based spray work on the locks?

bruneep

put mouth over lock and blow

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

MDFA. Get some MultiFunctional Diesel Fuel Additive, & put some in the locks. (& smear some round the door seals)
    I’ve got about 4ltrs in the shed. 8)

timber

What bruneep said

Daffy

ACF 50 for the door seals and Vaseline for the locks. T’was minus 8 here this morning.

Edric64
    Free Member

Piss on them ,not rocket science is it !?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Gt85 when its not frozen and al9ng the door seals.

My drivers door freezes something chronic.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

ACF 50 for the door seals and Vaseline for the locks. T’was minus 8 here this morning.

Raise you that to minus 14, 4 years ago with no probs. 😆

*May have been longer ago, but not that much*

Drac

Is it the 90s using keys to unlock doors?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

For truly stubborn heat the key with a lighter.

Drac

Or buy one of those heated car keys from a pound shop. If you can still get them.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Get this problem on motorbike with the ignition key and fuel tank. Warm key up with lighter or leave in a cup of boiling water. Then Gt85 or Muc off mo94 and direct the straw into the hole. Do it once or twice a month. Spray the locking mechanism on car doors also.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Gt85 hasn’t worked. Piss freezes. Not thought of ACF.

bruneep

Drac – Moderator
    Or buy one of those heated car keys from a pound shop. If you can still get them.

Yes there are still pound shops available

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Graphite spray in the locks.

Silicon spray on the door seals and the door frame.

Thats what we use where it actually gets cold. And what the locks/deals are treated with in most factories.
    (-19 on Monday morning, my record is -34. That was an interesting drive to work. Learnt a valuable lesson about cleaning windscreens…….. even neat low temperature screen wash can freeze.)

gonefishin
    Free Member

For truly stubborn heat the key with a lighter

This is the trick that my father taught me when I got my first car.

SaxonRider

If you have a bottle of alcohol in the house, like rum or something, that’ll work.

akira

Yeah forget work and just get hammered. Then phone them up and tell them what you really think of them. Problem solved.

jekkyl

buy a car with remote central locking?

honeybadgerx

+1 for silicone spray round the seals. Other products can be too aggressive and will degrade the seal material.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Don’t you have ‘Staff’ to see to that type of thing?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Personally I just put the car in the heated* garage.

*Ok, the garage has got heating in there, but it costs a fortune to run, and it’s only cars in there. So it’s cold in there now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“buy a car with remote central locking?”

Have seen these jam if they still have key holes…. and said keyholes have frozen…….

Makes it fun getting in – and given most folk then just repeatedly press the button and burn out the solenoid – it can be a costly exercise

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for graphite, it’s a solid so by definition can’t freeze. It comes in a can of WD40 like oil anyway, but all evaporates leaving just the graphite powder to lubricate the lock.

Silicon lube on the seal.

I’ve been tempted to put a fan heater in the car and an extension lead/timer switch the last few mornings.

phiiiiil

I’ve been tempted to put a fan heater in the car and an extension lead/timer switch the last few mornings.

My dad used to do that, he swore by it.

We had the opposite problem at the weekend, we could open the door, but then the catch froze open so couldn’t shut it again! It’s apparently a common problem with Ford Focuses.

soobalias
    Free Member

just discussed with my colleague, ford focus, catch froze open.
    he called someone out (!!!) who added wd40

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Frozen car door locks.’ is closed to new replies.