Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)
  • Front lights – 1000 Chinese lumens vs £100+ sets
  • Toddboy
    Free Member

It looks like a copy of the fenix bc30, but that’s double the price!

thepodge
    Free Member

Whats wrong with an x2 as a bar light?

Northwind

Just a bit too narrow beamed for my taste. I got on OK with it on the head though.

AlexSimon

thepodge – Member

Whats wrong with an x2 as a bar light? On the spotty side. Good on the helmet though. It’s fine though really – used mine for ages. It’s just that floodier is better on a bar if available.

CheesybeanZ – Member

Has anyone got one of these from Torchy ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291873209564?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    I have a light from torchy in the same housing. Can’t remember what the LED was though. It was underwhelming compared to most chinese torches with the same LED inside. It was similar but more than twice the price.
    Edit: It’s the Fluxient U2 Mini. So I’m guessing it’s the same. In which case it’s nowhere near 1100lm! Like not even half.

AlexSimon

Rode with my BT40S last night.
    Great beam pattern and plenty bright enough. Grippy to the bars too.
    Only downside is that the low setting isn’t very low. I don’t think it’s programmable. Not a problem for 2-3h rides, but might struggle with more.

Edit: Just bought another for my son as it’s showing as £35 on gearbest as a full package! (with good battery cells according to reports)

AlexSimon

Joystick – what’s the closest you can get from china for light weight and beam? Even better if it fits the Exposure mount.

Can you get high quality velcro battery bags for 6-cell and 8-cell batteries from Hunk Lee?

Northwind

TBH the only thing you really get from China that’s like a joystick is a single-cell torch. They do tend to be heavier, though IMO being able to change batteries is an advantage. Pretty much all of them fit a joystick mount, with teh right amount of electrical tape wrapped round them.

My BL70 arrived- $32USD from Kaidomain for the head unit only, arrived in a week, pretty impressed at that. It’s a lot bulkier than I’d envisioned, bigger than my X6 and 185g, I think that makes it a bar only light personally, I really feel it on my noggin. Just did a really quick test and power wise it’s on par with the X6, it’s a little whiter so doesn’t seem as bright but for me is nicer to ride with. It’s a little bright-spotty but the central beam is pretty wide.

I think it ought to give better battery life- the claimed burn times are similiar but IME the claimed burn time on the X6 is absolute bullshit. But we’ll see. Decent light, anyway, haven’t quite decided where it fits in.

ichabod
    Free Member

SO I bought one of those Aldi lights – seems bright enough but not quite as bright as a friends cheap ebay solarstorm x2 type light.

I’m thinking it will make an ok light for the handlebars as it is fairly heavy for helmet mount. I’m thinking of a solarstorm X2 for the helmet but would like to know where best to get one. There are quite a few for around £20 on amazon with different brands/names which all look the same. Which (if any) of these is any good?

AlexSimon

ichabod – I wouldn’t buy an Solarstorm from ebay personally.
    I would buy from somewhere that only sells brands and sell the full Solarstorm range.
    Maybe Kaidomain.

My BL70 arrived- $32USD from Kaidomain for the head unit only, arrived in a week, pretty impressed at that. It’s a lot bulkier than I’d envisioned, bigger than my X6 and 185g, I think that makes it a bar only light personally, I really feel it on my noggin. Just did a really quick test and power wise it’s on par with the X6, it’s a little whiter so doesn’t seem as bright but for me is nicer to ride with. It’s a little bright-spotty but the central beam is pretty wide.

I think it ought to give better battery life- the claimed burn times are similiar but IME the claimed burn time on the X6 is absolute bullshit. But we’ll see. Decent light, anyway, haven’t quite decided where it fits in. The beamshot on the site looks really spotty. Will be interesting to see how you get on with it.

AlexSimon

ichabod – if you really want piece of mind, I would also be tempted to buy the head unit only and then add a battery pack and charger separately.
    Battery packs:
    KBP-18650B2S2P 7.4V 6800mAh 4 x NCR18650B
    KBP-18650B2S3P 7.4V 10200mAh 6 x NCR18650B
    KBP-18650B2S4P 7.4V 13600mAh 8 x NCR18650B

The charger for your Aldi light might be all you need.

Obviously I realise that this isn’t now a £20 light, but it’s what I would recommend.

ichabod
    Free Member

Thanks thats interesting to know.. if I’m planning to buy a new battery anyway, are the cheapo ebay solarstorm head units ok?

ianpv
    Free Member

I’m thinking of upgrading my bar light to an X6 (currently got an X3 that I’m underwhelmed by). On Kaidomain there are two head units listed (already got a decent battery):

XM-L2 3C and XM-L2 U2 – what is the difference between the 3C and U2 – price is almost identical?

Northwind

AlexSimon – Member

The beamshot on the site looks really spotty. Will be interesting to see how you get on with it.

TBH, I’ve a feeling I’m not going to like it. But then I really like a smooth wide beam, it’s why I keep coming back to my ancient MJ872s. So this new one does feel spotty (and that’s not good, if the weight makes it a bar light) but it could be my personal taste. The comparison with the X6 is probably more important than how I feel about it I think.

Got an updated 4xXPG2 light on the way, that’s more on the lines of the MJ which I’m hoping works out.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

ianpv – Member

I’m thinking of upgrading my bar light to an X6 (currently got an X3 that I’m underwhelmed by). On Kaidomain there are two head units listed (already got a decent battery):

XM-L2 3C and XM-L2 U2 – what is the difference between the 3C and U2 – price is almost identical?

The 3C uses neutral white LEDs whilst the U2 is just white. Neutral White give a better colour rendition of foliage etc. which most people tend to prefer because it makes definition better.

The White LEDs will be slightly brighter but will wash out things a bit and making it harder to see. What you don’t really want to be doing is mixing lights with different colour ratings if you are using a head and a bar mounted light.

Also, if you are used to one type of light, switching may seem a bit strange at first but you should get used to that after a while. Personally I prefer Neutral White but I don’t think there really is a lot in it. The X6 will probably pump out more than enough of both!

Toddboy
    Free Member

Although I likes the look of the Solarstorm X8, I decided to buy a Vicmax A8 instead. Not quite happy with those rubber bands for fixing it though, so I might see if I can get a gopro type of mount for it instead. I will also probably change the battery for something more reputable.

AlexSimon

ichabod – Member

Thanks thats interesting to know.. if I’m planning to buy a new battery anyway, are the cheapo ebay solarstorm head units ok? It depends whether you want to risk it or not. I wouldn’t personally. Too many copies of copies around. Many don’t even have Cree XMLs in them at all.
    They might not be terrible, but spending that little bit more might just give you peace of mind.

dougieb
    Free Member

I’ve got the BT40s and the only complaint I have is that the battery indicator is useless. Basically, cycles through to red very, very quickly. I know the C&B Seen battery back I have is good as it’s works perfectly with the yinding that I use on my helmet.Anybody else find this with the BT40s ? Is it just voltage sag that I need to learn to live with.

benp1

I find my BT40s seems to last for ages

Nearly always used on low. I don’t know how many hours it’s on for, I use it most days for at least 30 minutes while taking the dog out, plus normal MTB rides of anything from 1-3 hours (which happen once a week, sometimes less if I’m busy)

Probably gets charged every few weeks? I use Keeppower 18650s, which are Panasonics, I think they’re 3400mAh, they’re definitely at least 3100mAh

I usually charge it when battery indicator drops to amber/yellow. The batteries get charged in a 4 bay charger

I find the light nicely floody. The main problem is the brightness of the battery indicator, it’s way too bright. I fixed that with a patch of duct tape

AlexSimon

Interesting – will look out for what you describe dougieb – I did think it went through the modes quickly, but I just assumed I’d had it on high a lot. Normally my Hunk Lee Panasonic battery lasts for aaaages.

teamslug
    Free Member

I’ve got two BT40’s packages and they do drop to red quicker than I expected but then stay on for ages afterwards.

craig24
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a floody bar light to pair with a SolarStorm style helmet light? Already have a battery so just want the light unit.

AlexSimon

craig24 – Member

Can anyone recommend a floody bar light to pair with a SolarStorm style helmet light? Already have a battery so just want the light unit. That Nitefighter BT40s we’re talking about has a really nice floody beam.
    http://www.gearbest.com/bicycling-gear/pp_182282.html?wid=21
    http://www.gearbest.com/bicycling-gear/pp_180805.html?wid=21
    (to be honest, judging from the reviews the extra £14 for the battery and charger is really good value).

craig24
    Free Member

Cheers, would you say its better than the Solarstorm? Also would I be OK running it alongside as its neutral white, or would I just be better with a second Solarstorm?

AlexSimon

craig24 – Member

Cheers, would you say its better than the Solarstorm? Also would I be OK running it alongside as its neutral white, or would I just be better with a second Solarstorm? Quite a bit brighter and a lot floodier.
    Now that my BT21 has died, I’m mixing a BT40S and Solarstorm X2 and it’s fine. I’d prefer them both neutral, but it doesn’t cause any complications.

Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Front lights – 1000 Chinese lumens vs £100+ sets’ is closed to new replies.