Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)
  • Front lights – 1000 Chinese lumens vs £100+ sets
  • abeach

THe Hope bracket is nice but the easier fix is to put a single wrap of cloth tape round the bar, for grip.

Tried duct tape and that failed so went with the Hope mount, far more secure. P.S. mine were alloy, non smooth bars. Guess it depends.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I’ve never liked the rubber O-ring type mounts for lights of any size. At best the light usually vibrates on uneven ground or even worse changes position.

If possible I’ve always converted to the Hope clamp or the Exposure mount. I won’t buy a light now if it doesn’t come with that type of clamp or can’t be converted easily.

Northwind

Duct tape’s still pretty slippy. I use electician’s cloth tape (loom tape, sometimes called), just because I happen to have it, works a charm. But the clamp is neater.

AlexSimon

forzafkawi – Member

Isn’t it strange how a lot of the popular Chinese lights are no longer available?

Specifically Yinding 900, NiteFighter BT21 and I just did a search for cruzcampo’s Solarstorm XT40 and that’s not available either.

Either they’re too good or too bad.
    Yes, the Nitefighers’s BT21 and BT70 seem to have had issues, so they’ve stuck with the BT40S. My BT21 has just failed (after 14months which is a shame as I loved it).

The Yinding 900 is still available:
    http://www.gearbest.com/yinding-_gear/

Solarstorm XT40 is also called the X6 I think and available here:
    http://www.kaidomain.com/Search/SearchResult.solarstorm/0/2/20/rank?show=grid

AlexSimon

I thought about the XT40 (X6), but thought it might be a little big for the usual mounts, so decided on the Nitefighter BT40S.

Shown side-by-side here:

forzafkawi
    Free Member

The Yinding 900 is still available:
    http://www.gearbest.com/yinding-_gear/

A lot of people have had all sorts of issues with GearBest (including me) so you are really taking a double chance if you choose to buy from them. I bought a BT21 from them and it was sent to totally the wrong address.

I had to pay extra for the courier to re-deliver it to me and GearBest didn’t answer any of my emails. That seems to be about the level of customer service you can expect from them judging by the MTBR forums.

AlexSimon

That seems to be about the level of customer service you can expect from them judging by the MTBR forums.

Do they suggest it’s better with lightmalls/Kaidomain/dx?
    I’ve never had a problem with any of them tbh.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Do they suggest it’s better with lightmalls/Kaidomain/dx?
    I’ve never had a problem with any of them tbh.

I’ve ordered quite a bit from DX and Kaidomain over the years and never had a problem and haven’t really heard of people complaining on other forums about them either. Never ordered from lightmalls or heard anything about them so can’t comment.

EDIT: I just Googled “Lightmalls” and hit all sorts of people complaining about them so maybe they are a bit dicey too.

Northwind

AlexSimon – Member

I thought about the XT40 (X6), but thought it might be a little big for the usual mounts, so decided on the Nitefighter BT40S.

Have you used it yet? Very curious about that one, it’s the direct descendent of my old MJ872s but with 2 generations of LED upgrade in it so if it keeps the same awesome beam but adds power and efficiency, as it bloomin should, it’ll be pretty ace. (depends how they’re driven but the max lumen of the XPG2 isn’t far off twice that of the old XPE)

AlexSimon

Yes, used a friends – it was great. Didn’t really analyse it too much. Quite floody, which is good on a bar-mount imo.
    Seems well made (but then so did my BT21).
    Neutral white is by far my preference.
    I’m not sure it’s much brighter than the MJ872 though. Couldn’t directly compare. Haven’t seen one in a while!

AlexSimon

BTW Nitefighter have renamed to Revtronic

Swayndo
    Free Member

I got a BT40s this time last year (or was it the year before?). Teamed it up with a Torchy battery pack and it’s the best light I’ve seen. Slightly yellow light and so much better definition than typical blue/white LEDs for my eyes. No reason to change but I always keep an eye on what’s new. I team it up with a Joystick for my perfect combo.

Northwind

Cheers guys, might as well order one then! I pick up a couple of cheapies every year just out of curiosity but I keep using the old MJ so it seems like a logical progression. Feels like maybe the XML dominion is finally passing.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

As above this looks like my xt40 but upgraded, may get one to try out

http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S024183.SolarStorm-X6-4-x-Cree-XM-L2-U2-White-4-Mode-3000-Lumens-Bike-Light-Black

I also use a Hope Mount screwed into it underneath, fits perfectly and super secure clamp, with quick point down adjustments if hitting any roads

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Hope-QR-Handlebar-Mount_42115.htm

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I built a quad XP-G a few years back and it’s my go-to light for off-road work.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

PS also very compact, handlebar for scale

AlexSimon

Is 24 X-ML LEDs enough though!?

😯

VanHalen

I’ve never understood the point of a bar light. 90% of the time it’s pointing in the wrong direction? That said I don’t do long xc rides I like corners and jumps.

I’m still using my teapot/trout light I made from a kit off here about 6 or 7 years ago! You don’t need a zillion lumen. I’ve a range of cheap torches but they are all shit. I’d really like a floody head torch without wires for about 50quid and 2 hrs runtime.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I’ve just noticed that Bright Bike Lights are doing the Solarstorm X6 for £49. I just bought an Ituo Wiz20 from there and Trevor is a really helpful bloke as well.

http://www.brightbikelights.com/solarstorm-x6-3000-lumen-light-set

Northwind

Van Halen – Member

I’ve never understood the point of a bar light. 90% of the time it’s pointing in the wrong direction? That said I don’t do long xc rides I like corners and jumps.

Bar light is just backup, fill and shadow really these days. Used to be you used 2 mostly because lights were shit. Now you can easily have a single helmet light which lets you ride pretty much as quick as you want- but you do get weird shadows/depth perception issues sometimes because the light source is almost at your eye line, it flattens things. And it’s tricky in rain and fog

But mostly, if you break it, and it’s your only light, you will regret it.

VanHalen

Don’t you find that with a strong bar light you get a weird strobe effect though the trees and corners and the bars are tuning, correcting line and slides? It hurts my brain! Anyway I have a low light on the bars for flat sections, push up, peripheral vision near the front wheel and getting home (no need for a zillion lumens) and a helmet light to see.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Similar set up here lezyne 600XL set to 250 on the bars and aldi “1000” lumen on the bonce. Pukka.

Wiggle are selling the 400XL for 23 notes

and the aldi is on slae at £20

so you could get a pretty sweet set up for £45 with UK aftersales support. Winner winner chicken dinner.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

forzafkawi – Member
    I’ve just noticed that Bright Bike Lights are doing the Solarstorm X6 for £49. I just bought an Ituo Wiz20 from there and Trevor is a really helpful bloke as well.

http://www.brightbikelights.com/solarstorm-x6-3000-lumen-light-set

Ebay £20 😀

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solarstorm-X6-4X-CREE-XM-L-T6-Front-Head-LED-Bicycle-Lamp-Bike-Light-Headlamp-/201424703729

teamslug
    Free Member

I’ve been a serial bike light collector for a while. Just got a magicshine eagle m2. I’m impressed with it. I run a gloworm X2 on my helmet and on full the magicshine is brighter with a beam pattern. Quality feels good and it comes with a semi permanent bracket in that the lower part stays on the bars and the light unit detaches.( Minor gripe is that although it comes with different length straps none fit 35mm bars). Comes with a wireless remote so can swap beams and brightness with my thumb. As bright and flexible as I’m ever going to need.

kiwijohn

I’ve never understood the point of a bar light. 90% of the time it’s pointing in the wrong direction?

Only if you mount them sideways.

pnik

Aldi one seems to have disappeared, link goes to a 404 error and cant find it on the site, was hoping to get down there todsy and grab one, anyone see one on a shelf? Ideally in hove actually.

Kamakazie

I’d hope the battery pack was better on the Bright Bike Lights version.
    The 6 cell one is at least using Samsung cells.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

cruzcampo – Member

Ebay £20

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solarstorm-X6-4X-CREE-XM-L-T6-Front-Head-LED-Bicycle-Lamp-Bike-Light-Headlamp-/201424703729

@ £20 it makes you wonder:-

a) If this really is a Solarstorm light
    b) Where the UK supplier getting them from if he can afford to sell at that price including paying the eBay fees
    c) How long the battery pack will last before going BOOOM!

Personally I would rather pay the extra and get from trusted supplier like Kaidomain or Bright Bike Lights.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@forza i’d just buy it for the headunit, and still go with torchy cells and battery box. My original XT40 only cost £20 from the bay and still going well.

Toddboy
    Free Member

I like the look of the Solarstorm x8. No separate battery packs, no wires. Not too bothered about the batteries that you get with it, I have good quality spares and a good mains charger. The rubber strap looks a lot better than the rubber bands too.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Toddboy – Member

I like the look of the Solarstorm x8. No separate battery packs, no wires. Not too bothered about the batteries that you get with it, I have good quality spares and a good mains charger. The rubber strap looks a lot better than the rubber bands too.

I can’t find the Solarstorm X8, are you sure you have the right light?

Toddboy
    Free Member

Forza, it’s on Aliexpress.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Cheers Toddboy, that looks like a nice light. I do love the claim for

“Max Output 5000 lumens” From 2 x XM-L U2? – LOL!

I just bought something very similar, the Ituo Wiz20. I had my first ride with it last night and agree that it’s all the light you really need in a great, integrated package.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Isn’t the X6 better with x4 xm-l u2?

Although I can see the attraction of no battery box and it takes 18650!

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2016-Newest-SolarStorm-X8-5000Lm-2X-XM-L-U2-LED-Front-Head-Bicycle-Bike-Light-Headlight/138437_32724785313.html

richardthird

USB charging too, might have to try one of those.

Northwind

Yeah, depends what you’re after, selfcontained is a selling point and replacable batteries are handy too.

TBH it’s going to depend a lot on the beam- oversimplification but XML lights tend to run towards the spotlighty, which isn’t so good on a bar light. Looks quite roadbikey going by the PR shots?

Toddboy
    Free Member

I’m expecting it to perform like the x2, but just in a self contained unit.

CheesybeanZ
    VanHalen

Isn’t the X6 better with x4 xm-l u2?

Although I can see the attraction of no battery box and it takes 18650!

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2016-Newest-SolarStorm-X8-5000Lm-2X-XM-L-U2-LED-Front-Head-Bicycle-Bike-Light-Headlight/138437_32724785313.html

that looks barely any different to my homemade troutlight! i might see if i can shoehorn some batteries in the housing… even down to teh mountain bracket i bodged out of old cateye halogens…

Northwind

Toddboy – Member

I’m expecting it to perform like the x2, but just in a self contained unit.

Aye, that’s probably pretty fair. Not what I want in a mtb bar light tbh but I can see me getting one for the commuter if the price drops a little

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Front lights – 1000 Chinese lumens vs £100+ sets’ is closed to new replies.