Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 169 total)
  • Friday car thread: Golf Mk4 R32….any thoughts?
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

So Captain is the only one with actual experience of the car ad well as me. Yet the usually pile in beating about bragging and ego because they have nothing else to say. So come on geeks, what have you guys actually contributed? Nothing. Just spouted a load of abuse and attempts to have a go. Well nice one guys, once again you’ve all spoken volumes about yourselves. Total losers.

Mol – do yourself a favour and cut the sniping. I don’t know why you randomly act fine then suddenly go moany but it really doesn’t suit you.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Captain – you have it right and seem to be the ONLY other one who has actually owned an R32.

The rest would like a decent car but can’t have one. This hurts them so they try and better themselves by trying to put others with a decent car down.

Is it possible to filter out the “noise” created by these bleating halfwits? The rest of the thread is quite interesting.

As for the others here’s what you do before you attempt to post:

Name what car(s) you have.
    Tell us what additional driver training you’ve had.
    Tell us how many points you’ve had on your license and how many crashes you’ve had – this will negate your endless “safety” drivel if anything more than zero.

Tinners – are you completely retarded? Have you any idea why a fairly light non powerful car like a Megane R26.R or an Elise gets astonishing, often supercar beating laps times? Any idea what a mk4 Golf R32 MATCHED an SL55 AMG (faster than an RS6) around the Top Gear track? No, you don’t get it do you? But carry on bleating about your “race driver” mate. See I actually used Roadcraft in my Police driver training. You however have the lamest iteration of the 3.2 VAG engine. A decent car but not a drivers one. Sorry about that.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Something wierd just happened to my post…!

molgrips
    Free Member

Mol – do yourself a favour and cut the sniping. I don’t know why you randomly act fine then suddenly go moany

I start going moaney when you cross the line into some pretty vicious abuse. The fact that you don’t realise that this is what I am doing implies that you don’t know how vicious you are being.

I’m trying to point out why you p*ss people off whenever we talk about cars, that’s all 🙂

You REALLY have to learn how to play nice. People can have opinions, you don’t have to RAM down our throats constantly about how right you always are. It’s really not at all pleasant and it makes EVERY SINGLE car thread you are on degenerate into a load of nastiness. In fact, I didn’t even open this for four days because I knew how bitter and vitriolic it’d be.

Just learn to disagree nicely, for all our sakes.

Shandy
    Free Member

I like the way you try and agree with a minor point in a post that is effectively calling you a ****, like that person agrees with you. Its particularly amusing when the person comes back and clarifies their opinion that you’re a loser, like molgrips did just then.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

So then Mol, how is talking about the car from personal experience a “load of nastiness” then? I don’t do it, a certain “gang” of muppets does it. They don’t have anything to add other than bitter vitriol disguised as trying to be clever.

And for some reason you get all overexcited at times and get swept away by the demonic cyber geeks.

Now if you must, please point out any post where I “started it.”

You’ll struggle.

Back to the OP – if this one doesn’t suit, look for another. You’ll love it!

molgrips
    Free Member

Tinners – are you completely retarded?

That’s not very nice, for a start.

Now if you must, please point out any post where I “started it.”

You don’t have to have started it. You escalate it.

Grown-ups should know when to leave it.

EDIT: and yes, I know I get suckered in sometimes too.

rexated
    Free Member

Hang on…………… why am I bothering!

I think Rexated has long gone

heheh – i’m still hanging on in here!
    This thread has thrown up some really interesting stuff for me, so thanks very much for those of you who commented with opinion – as requested in my thread title – and some with real first hand experience of the cars that have been mentioned.

However, on balance, I’m off to buy a Fireblade 😆 😈

molgrips
    Free Member

This is what Shandy said about Mat which seems to be where it all got ugly.

I’ve no interest in debating anything with you, you just come across as a complete know-it-all **** and I’m struggling to think of a car thread in recent times which you haven’t wrecked by turning it into one of your obsessive points-scoring exercises.

Unfortunately, much as I like Mat in general, this is pretty much on the money for the car threads 🙁

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well in that case Mol, I have no time for you either.

Own goal.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not personal mate.

Just trying to help. I like car discussions, but I don’t like bitter arguments 🙁

You are very abrasive on these threads, I just wish you weren’t.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

You know Rex – way back on the first page I was gonna suggest a motorcycle.

Being a biker myself I find that provides more than enough excitement.

Fireblades are ace! Great predictable handling, plenty of go, comfy and well built.

davidrussell
    Free Member

whats the VED on the r32?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I must say I’m not keen on contributing to car threads anymore. I would have said I didn’t particularly like the R32 as I found it dull, & that was comming from a cooking Leon with a few mods, quite glad I didn’t bother now though 😉

tonyg2003

I’m with you 2unfit2ride

This thread has turned seriously vitriolic and unpleasant

This quote was particularly nasty

The rest would like a decent car but can’t have one. This hurts them so they try and better themselves by trying to put others with a decent car down.

molgrips
    Free Member

FTR I am trying not to be vitriolic.. my posts are meant to be a friendly word of advice.. hope it didn’t come across otherwise.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Tinners – Member
    plus1 Gachet and Molgrips
    LOL @SmugMatt, soft lad.
    A few pages back, I dared so suggest that our little egotist might be a bit foolish to be tussling with RS6s on a public road. I’m not against spirited driving, but the fact is that you can’t race against such high powered cars on the public road without reaching frankly ludicrous speeds. I know – I’ve done it on the track and I’d never drive like that on the road. Any way, Cornwall’s answer to Senna came with an euphemisticaly comical description of “out cornering” his RS6 (which was, presumably, driving Miss Daisy at the time to be doing anything other than mental speeds). Anyway, getting to the point, I was recounting his exploits to a few friends at the weekend, one of whom is a professional driver (shall we say) and we came across this little nugget:

The only time you “win” is when some gimp usually in a 2.0TDI Audi or Golf decides to try and prove himself (or more increasingly herself) by driving up your backside when you can’t move out of the way on a dual carriageway or motorway. So as the traffic clears, it can be fun to leave them for dust. Safely.

(Don’t you just love the single word “Safely” at the end? LOL). Now besides being a toe curlingly embarrassing statement, it gives another insight into the mentality. We also wondered what chapter of “Roadcraft” he was referring to with that manouvre.
    So don’t get wound up lads. File under “Internet braggart” and ignore.
    In answer to the original poster, I’m sure you’ll love an R32. I’d be very wary of buying anything without a service history, but at the least I’d get somebody in the know to give it a thorough looking over. Repairs can also be very costly when cars like this reach a certain age – cambelt changes, exhausts etc. But as long as you factor this in to your running cost, then fine. Great cars. If you go for it, I hope you get a good one.
    Now back to a bit of humour…..

LOL

Go away for a couple of days and come back to find STW has turned into Pistonheads 😕

Never owned a R32 but last but one ‘Associate’ has one (had it for a few months). I had the indeed pleasure to drive it on various roads, including twisty Bs* Nice stiff chassis, plenty enough power, reasonable steering feedback.

*Not of course experienced your driving Surf Mat, more than happy to take you for a drive if you fancy a few pointers 😉 But Safe Driving Rule No 1 (appears in the HC and Roadcraft 6 times) “Always be able to stop within the distance you can see to be clear” – unless you’ve magic x-ray vision that can see through bends, it’s the limit point that dictates your speed, not supposedly how well the car corners 8)

hora
    Free Member

The R32 handling is both brilliant and fun, as opposed to e.g the S3 which has huge amounts of grip but no feedback and therefore very dull.

I’d agree with that comment if you mean the 1.8T S3. I drove a remapped one from Manchester to Edinburgh and back for a long weekend. It was fast, smooth but somehow ‘remote’?

I prefer transmission-whine etc etc. 8)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well thanks for that Andy – and as stated clearly before, you often need to slow down more than expected for some bends and less for others.

I would not corner hard if I couldn’t see properly – there could be anything around any bend. Hence why I’ve never crashed or got near to crashing. Some corners have great sight lines so you can take them quickly.

You’ve just assumed I was taking every corner too fast as has every one of the bitter geeks here that has hung onto that tiny point and banged on and on and on about it.

If I am such a “dangerous” driver, why was I invited to be an IAM trustee last year by the new MD? And why have I been an IAM member for 12 years? And how did I comfortably pass the Police course I did at Portishead?

At least you’re right about the R32 though.

hora
    Free Member

I’d call you Ned Flanders but I actually like the Ned Flanders character.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sigh…

Shandy
    Free Member

Small man syndrome…?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Lame.

Very lame.

Tinners

If it’s any consolation, Mrs T says that he does have a point about me being retarded. She’s said not for me to worry and that she’s retarded too and that we’ve inherited it from our mother.
    I’d also like to point out that my friend who drives “professionally” is a taxi driver. If you’re ever in Cardiff, you’ll spot his well driven black and white Vauxhall Carlton a mile off because of all of the black smoke it belches out the back and the fact that he flicks on the hazards when he slows down (brake lights a little dodgy). However, he can accelerate all the way up to 17mph as smooth as you like on the motorway and were it not for all the honking of the horns behind, you’d struggle to find a more relaxing way of getting from A to B (special rates for STW members – just say you’re one of Tinners’ online buddies)

hora
    Free Member

Slightly OT- whats the VAG 2.0T like tuned/remapped?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Mark, if you spend enough you can do what you like, IHI turbo running 400 bhp is do-able, trouble is you could of bought a proper drivers car by the time you add up the cost, not that i can talk, I spent a fortune on my 1.8T, & i didn’t even have to pay for the labour 😯

Edited to say that I only kept the Leon as a bike run around, in the last year I had it (2008) it only done a few thousand miles, but it was my project, & everyone needs a project 😉

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member
    Well thanks for that Andy – and as stated clearly before, you often need to slow down more than expected for some bends and less for others.

I would not corner hard if I couldn’t see properly – there could be anything around any bend. Hence why I’ve never crashed or got near to crashing. Some corners have great sight lines so you can take them quickly.

You’ve just assumed I was taking every corner too fast as has every one of the bitter geeks here that has hung onto that tiny point and banged on and on and on about it.

If I am such a “dangerous” driver, why was I invited to be an IAM trustee last year by the new MD? And why have I been an IAM member for 12 years? And how did I comfortably pass the Police course I did at Portishead?

At least you’re right about the R32 though.

Aaah, I may wellhave driven with you then.. 😉

Admittedly I didn’t trawl through every 130 posts, but neither did I assume you were “dangerous” or anything else 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I think he’s dangerous 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Jeeesus 400bhp is ASKING for trouble 😆

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Jeeesus 400bhp is ASKING for trouble

Not if you do it right, but that’s where the money comes in as your talking about internals, now getting the power down is asking for trouble 😉

martinxyz
    Free Member

what can the golf r32 do 0-62 in? 1/4 mile? 30-50 in third? ,50-70mph in 3rd and 4th?

just wondering.

tron
    Free Member

Buy a Prius, it’s the only way you’ll be able to sleep at night.

Buy a Monaro, it’s the only real heterosexual man’s car on the market today.

Buy [insert poster’s own car here] it’s [bullshit]…

PS: You can’t drive, you’re dangerous because you like going fast.

You can’t drive, you’re dangerous because you can’t control a car properly.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

lol

only reason I want the Monaro is that I think it looks pretty good, it has a honking great supercharged V8, a manual gearbox and RWD.

Plus I don’t need to worry about fuel costs as I’m hardly ever here to use one. Might as well before I get too old….

Tinners

…..You however have the lamest iteration of the 3.2 VAG engine

I know, I know and don’t think that there isn’t a second of every minute of every hour of every day that those words won’t resonate in my mind. In my defence, it was bought in error. We meant to look at a few Foci, but took a wrong turning at Morrisons and ended up in the Audi garage. As Mrs T and the little Ts sat in the R8 demonstrator to finish off their ice creams, the nervous salesman showed me around the forecourt. When I said that I’d take one of the little 3 door ones, he asked me if I wanted 1.9 diesel, 2.0 diesel, 2.0T, quattro, non quattro, DSG or manual. Decision, decisions. In the end, I plumped for one of the little red shiny ones. Imagine my embarrassment when we got home and I discovered that he’d offloaded one of the 3.2s on me. Still, I managed to avoid ridicule by prising off the tailgate badges and replacing them with an M Power one I’d bought off Ebay.
    You also have me soundly beaten on the issue of crashes. If you disregard minor crashes at less than 20mph, crashes on private property and crashes whilst engaged in reverse gear, I’ve only had about 10 crashes in as many years. The most recent was when I swerved to avoid a man jumping out of a manhole (would you believe it if I told you that a water board employee could outsprint a well driven Audi?) and the most notorious was when I made it onto the local radio travel news. It was on the M5 near Stroud. As I entered the sliproad, I spotted a young whippersnapper driving a lesser marque in my rear view mirror. Naturally, I floored the throttle to teach him a lesson and, before you could say “ARDS”, I was approaching the national speed limit in the fast lane. I decided to powershift into overdrive and moved my left foot onto the clutch. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that I was in Mrs T’s automatic and, instead of pressing the clutch, I slammed on the anchors instead. The first 10 cars to slew past me must have possessed a modicum of your rare driving skills, Matt. It’s no mean feat to deploy the horn and opposite lock, whilst simultaneously discharging enough faecal material to fill a small bucket. When I had stopped I got out to inspect the car for any scuff marks and noticed an ever increasing wedge of twisted metal, wreckage, honking horns and shaking fists behind me, stretching back as far as the eye could see. As the nice policeman checked my vehicle thoroughly for missing offspring (damn those forgotten “Baby on Board” stickers in the window), I explained what had happened. When he’d finished, he patted my head and said “Let that be a lesson to you” before proceeding to reprimand the angry mob who were surrounding my car for not leaving a safe stopping distance in front of them
    So, crushed in defeat and consigned to a lifetime of mockery and impotence, I must depart this thread for good now to catch the early train to London. Mrs T says that I need a big “L” for “Loser” henna’d on to my forehead and I’m inclined to agree.

yunki
    Free Member

You are very abrasive an unbearable pillock on these threads, I just wish you weren’t.

+1

beanum

I ran an R32 for 4 years and have only recently sold it. I loved the car and would highly recommend it if you can afford the fuel economy. I got mine with 14k km on the clock and sold it with 60k km and in that time only had a few minor problems (mainly replacement coil packs when it started running on 5 cylinders). I’m really not sure I’d want one with 55k miles with no history though. I think there’s a major service due at 60k miles / 100k km that might be why it’s for sale now?? I could be wrong though..
    For half of every year I changed to 17″ wheels and winter tyres and I have to say it was really impressive in snow too. Just when the front wheels start to slip, the power shifts to the rear and you can exit roundabouts with a little drift* – and all with that gorgeous exhaust noise too..:-) Happy Days.

* After reading some of the previous comments on here whenever someone admits to actually enjoying driving, I should make it clear this was on clear, well-sighted roads at 40-50km/h with no traffic, no cyclists, dogs or toddlers. The Swiss police were contacted in advance and I was provided with a stamped drift certificate 🙂

datsunman

I had an R32, didn’t do it for me. Whilst the handling was ‘OK’ (again, not brilliant) you could never really forget about the weight of it. I didn’t rate the handling as any better than the S3, the S3 was slightly disconnected (as mentioned above), but my personal opinion is that that is down to weight/weight distribution. The drive wasn’t *that* different between the two cars.

I very rarely got more than 200 miles to a tank (don’t know the mpg, but it wasn’t a lot) and it wasn’t particularly quick.

Made a nice noise though.

As for a 55k example with no history, I wouldn’t bother. Plenty out there with history, must be a reason its not there.

hora
    Free Member

After reading some of the previous comments on here whenever someone admits to actually enjoying driving

😆

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Tinners – fair play to you, your last two posts have been hilarious – nice one!!

br
    Free Member

Fireblades are ace! Great predictable handling, plenty of go, comfy and well built.

http://www.hondanews.com/channels/powersports-heritage/photos/honda-s-1963-you-meet-the-nicest-people-ad

only reason I want the Monaro is that I think it looks pretty good, it has a honking great supercharged V8, a manual gearbox and RWD. Plus I don’t need to worry about fuel costs as I’m hardly ever here to use one. Might as well before I get too old….

At a previous company I worked for I put in for a Monaro – any Vauxhall was allowed at my grade, or big Beemer is what most took. My boss asked me why on earth I wanted one of those little people carrier things (Meriva)?

I nearly got away with it, but a colleague started laughing, and the boss re-checked… Needless to say I had to re-write the form.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Friday car thread: Golf Mk4 R32….any thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.