Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 169 total)
  • Friday car thread: Golf Mk4 R32….any thoughts?
  • Premier Icon CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Our MkV never managed over 30mpg. I once did a 100 mile motorway journey in it late on a (cool, but not cold) Friday evening. Virtually no traffic, so ideal conditions; did a steady 65-70mph with nothing beyond a very light throttle application with the deliberate intention of trying to max the mpg. It averaged 30mpg exactly according to the trip computer. There is no way that it would achieve 28mpg if driven ‘briskly’. I wouldn’t class its thirst as ridiculous, but you need to be prepared for the amount of petrol you’ll be putting in it.

Well come round and look at the computer readout if you want. 2 weeks ago did Aberfeldy-Scunthorpe-Huddersfield-Mansfield-Stockport over 2 days and averaged just over 30mpg with some driving in heavy traffic

Premier Icon CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Remember that VW rushed out the MkVI Golf because they couldn’t sort the niggling build quality issues in the MkV

Not true. It wasn’t rushed out, but the main reason for getting it out earlier that anticipated was because the MKV was famously expensive to build, cutting VAG’s margins

Premier Icon Surf-Mat
    Free Member

…and VW nicked Ford’s Focus chassis designer for the mk5 which is partly why it generally handled so much better even as a base model.

Mk5 definitely worse put together than the mk4 though.

Premier Icon martinxyz
    Free Member

“bollocks?”
    1)my car is only 0.6 seconds 0-60 behind the times you just posted if you want to go into silly time comparisons.
    2) its got less than half the bhp of the cars you just posted about.
    3) the cars you mentioned could do possibly do 180mph.. but around the track it doesnt mean shit.

yes surf.. we know how amazing the rs4 is in many ways, but when you get into another car and ask yourself the big question “just how much do you enjoy driving this car compared to the other?”

The fact that you even end up asking yourself that question gets a bit confusing. it sounds on paper (or a forum) a diffrent league.

and it is.

but like i said, its not about power,bhp..

Involving is the word.

One day you will realize that some of the best fun you have had on 4 wheels was hitting 30mph in a go cart. It doesnt have to have power to have fun,surf.

part 1 for surfmat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjwCApxxDRc
    part 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_0QtSdx-6g&feature=related

have a look at the cars,the times and the overall results matt.. then get back to me with your arguement on what is so spectacular about having 240+ hp. If you look at my previous post i mentioned a few things why someone would buy a car. My choice out of that list would be “involving”

whats yours? 😀

Free Member

martinxyz – Member
    “bollocks?”
    1)my car is only 0.6 seconds 0-60 behind the times you just posted

Are you trying to say that your Pug 106 diesel does 0-60 in less than 7 seconds?

Premier Icon Surf-Mat
    Free Member

A 106 GTI does not get to 60 in 6.9s.

Yes they are good cars – I had the Saxo version from new and really enjoyed it but it was still a French tin box.

I find carrying stuff in a go kart a bit tricky.

A 106 GTI is now ancient – very few are still in any condition worth considering. If you want a French tinbox these days, get a Clio Sport 200.

If “involving” means noisy, falls to bits, a chav’s dream, easy to break into/nick, lacking in almost any safety kit, rattly, etc, etc then yes your car is way better than an R32, RS4, whatever.

Personally if I was looking for a mid to late 90s hot hatch, I’d go for a Racing Puma not a 106 or VTS. Even the “cooking” 1.7 is a 106 beater.

Captain – is he talking about a 106 DIESEL?! Ha ha ha ha!!

Premier Icon Zedsdead
    Free Member

My mate had a Puma and I used to laugh at it telling him it were a girls car etc….. until I had a go!

Man that was a great wee car!

Next up for me? I want a Monaro. Anyone driven one of them? How was it?

Premier Icon Shandy
    Free Member

VAG 4WDs and diesel 3 series, the definition of good taste.

Premier Icon Surf-Mat
    Free Member

As are these beauties shandy. I notice you love to step in and offer “advice” on car threads yet run a top heavy mock camper. I suspect you may also have something like an old Passat or similar dullard mobile…

Premier Icon martinxyz
    Free Member

with a few hundred quid spent on a decat,airbox,qep flywheel, it could do 7 seconds dead consistently 0-62 even with my fat ass in it.even hitting the stopwatch just before it hit 65mph on the clock you would get these times.it didnt cost thousands.

A racing puma would be a nice buy these days but i dont like the driving position along with the view out of it.

If “involving” means noisy, falls to bits, a chav’s dream, easy to break into/nick, lacking in almost any safety kit, rattly, etc, etc then yes your car is way better than an R32, RS4, whatever.

No,be nice, thats not the definition of involving and you know it ;O)

Once again, go watch the clips of it up against cars from the same era.

Premier Icon martinxyz
    Free Member

yes its the 1.5 diesel.

Premier Icon Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Martin – I don’t have time TBH. Yes the 106 handles well – I said how much I enjoyed my similar Saxo and still think it’s an all time FWD great. But would I want one again? No I wouldn’t. Same with the 205 GTi – great handler, now too long in the tooth.

And while it’s a tidy FWD car, a similar level/price RWD car like a mk3 MR2 or MX5 is in a different league when it comes to “involvement” and handling.

As for the diesel – WTF? That’s a different kettle of fish. Proper old ladies car. A bit like owning a 1.4 Focus then using an RS as a comparison to another car.

Why?!

It has 58, yes 58bhp (the GTI at least has 120) and the quickest to 60 I can find is 15.2 seconds. How on earth would a few mods double (or more) the power and more than half the 0-60 time?!!!

Come on, you’re being very silly.

Even our 1.3 Suzuki Jimny with 85bhp (60 in 14s) would blast off a 106 1.5 diesel.

Premier Icon martinxyz
    Free Member

no i was kidding. its not the diesel lol.just thought i would spice it up a little. put a grin on peoples faces on a monday. ;O)

how about spending 40k on a 106!..
    http://www.youtube.com/user/bic106#p/a/u/1/JiLSdd9gdmE

Premier Icon Shandy
    Free Member

Mat you’ve a remarkable memory, I did have a Delica about 5 years ago when I was travelling around New Zealand. I have a MkV GTI now but I try not to let it define myself as a person.

Premier Icon Brycey
    Free Member

Economy on the mk5 GTI seems to vary car to car. My Edition 30 is often better than the standard GTI I used to have, although even that is generally high 20s if careful (30mpg at an ansolute push). I change the display if driving harder, as it’s too depressing (low 20s on both cars).

That said, I’ve seen plenty other drivers get better in mags, forums, etc.

Premier Icon Surf-Mat
    Free Member

So then Shandy, a mk5 GTi is a car for those with “good taste” is it? More so than an R32 or 3 series BMW?

Fascinated to see how you came to that conclusion.

I’d only look at an Edition 30 GTi. Standard GTi makes a Ford Focus look rare in comparison.

Premier Icon Shandy
    Free Member

As I said, I try not to get worked up about it. I drove all the cars in the class and picked the one I liked, its a good car for me. It isn’t depreciating much and I can’t really think of anything I’d change it for.

I’ve no interest in debating anything with you, you just come across as a complete know-it-all **** and I’m struggling to think of a car thread in recent times which you haven’t wrecked by turning it into one of your obsessive points-scoring exercises.

Premier Icon Hohum
    Free Member

Brycey – Member
    Economy on the mk5 GTI seems to vary car to car. My Edition 30 is often better than the standard GTI I used to have, although even that is generally high 20s if careful (30mpg at an ansolute push). I change the display if driving harder, as it’s too depressing (low 20s on both cars).

That said, I’ve seen plenty other drivers get better in mags, forums, etc.

Variable economy within a car model is not just restricted to Golfs either.

In my experience it happens a lot with other cars and it always seems to be that I end up with one of the thirstier ones.

Premier Icon Shandy
    Free Member

I have seen mid-30s on long runs but it would tend to be low 20s a lot of the time, most of the miles are in town or around country back roads.

Premier Icon Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nice debating skills there Shandy – clearly you don’t like being faced with facts and so resort to petty little insults. How very clever of you.

Mk5 Gti is a decent enough motor but deciding it is a car for those with “taste” is a bit pompous and TBH utter BS. All sorts of people drive GTIs as with most cars.

Thanks for your input though and sorry you are incapable of joining in without having to resort to running off in a strop. More mature STWers are perfectly happy to share enthusiasm without the red mist of childish stroppyness descending.

Premier Icon -m-
    Free Member

Well come round and look at the computer readout if you want. 2 weeks ago did Aberfeldy-Scunthorpe-Huddersfield-Mansfield-Stockport over 2 days and averaged just over 30mpg with some driving in heavy traffic

I wasn’t questioning what your car is achieving, but wanted to add in another perspective (partly to support my earlier comments about running costs). Ours never achieved more than 30mpg, and if pushed hard would drop below 25mpg.

For the Mk V -> Mk VI quality/cost issue the two are closely related. By simplifying elements of the design it became easier and cheaper to build as well as reducing the number of place where the niggling issues were occurring. It’s my understanding that addressing both these points were seen as critical within VW – hence the relatively short MkV model run.

Premier Icon Shandy
    Free Member

I never mentioned my car, you did. You are the pretentious **** pontificating and passing judgement on everybody and everything else, whilst driving a diesel version of one of the most common cars in its class.

Anyway, must dash, I’ve a blow-by-blow account of my 53rd place performance in the local girls under 14 duathlon that I know the world is waiting to hear.

Premier Icon Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well shandy that hissy fit revealed plenty about you didn’t it?

Bitter than I have a “nicer” car, bitter that I did fairly well in a BTF triathlon, bitter about all sorts of other things too I suspect.

Here’s a tip for you – look at your own life. If it sucks which I suspect it does, try and fix it yourself rather than venting at others. You have contributed NOTHING to this thread apart from whining sniping bleats.

This fits you pretty well:

Premier Icon Shandy
    Free Member

You have convinced yourself that you are superior, to an un-named person, somewhere on the internet, that you know nothing about and who has no interest in being competive about anything.

Hopefully you’ll get banned from this place like you did from the last forum you blighted with your presence.

Premier Icon Surf-Mat
    Free Member

You may be vastly superior in every way but on here you come across as very sad, very bitter and pretty vacuous. But if that suits you, carry on.

As for BikeRadar – many people have stopped posting on it as it’s now overrun by childish losers like yourself and admin’d by some very sad little internet geeks. Took a while to realise but once I did, I hit the “try and get banned” button. It worked a treat against utter pondlife like you.

Premier Icon rkk01
    Free Member

As intoxicating as the sound of a V6 might be – can’t really see any sense with current fuel prices…

… unless it’s a project car with something more economical for the day drive, or you don’t do much mileage.

Not the same car or motor, but looked at the 147GTA when it came out – the garage where I got my car serviced was running one as a demonstrator. They reckoned it was doing somewhere between 15 and 18mpg 🙁 Many manufacturers are going the way of smaller capacity engines with bigger boost pressures to replace the larger capacity motors previously in their line-ups.

Mk 5 GTi on the other hand would normally return mid to high 30s and would edge in to the low 40s on a long motorway run.

Premier Icon Surf-Mat
    Free Member

rkk – yes indeed but I for one am very sad there will never be a V6 Golf. The R is very capable but it just doesn’t have the same appeal.

Regardless of performance, the delivery of the 3.2 engine was flawless – no gaps in power at any revs, easy to control to a fine level, etc.

I don’t see why people compare the R32 to the GTI – they are very different in all but shape.

Premier Icon Gachet
    Free Member

Shandy, I wouldn’t worry about it. I hardly ever come on here, but every thread I see seems to have ‘Awesome’ Matt boasting about his knowledge, driving skills or how everything he owns is better than anyone else’s. His post below particularily amused me:

Mutant – pics of your RS6 or I assume you are a keyboard warrior pretending he has one. They don’t appeal to me to be honest – too heavy. An RS4 is a different matter.

Why should he assume that someone on here couldn’t possibly afford an Audi RS6. Just because he lives in a fantasy world, doesn’t mean others have to BS on forums to make themselves feel better.

Premier Icon Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Gachet – occupation IT.

Current contribution to STW – telling us his mate has a Cooper S. And trying to be a smart ar5e about RWD cars.

Now there’s a surprise.

All boxes ticked – geek stalker nerd with nothing to add but a lot to moan about.

Premier Icon molgrips

Jesus. Car thread involves a personal rant involving Mat. Dear me.

Can we please close this thread as it’s now Monday and the thread specifically says Friday.

Premier Icon flange
    Free Member

I heard an R32 get wound round to the limiter the other day and it sounded immense, on noise alone this is a big bag of win.

My understanding was that having the V6 in it makes it a bit of a dog in the corners, but then I’ve not driven one so wouldn’t know. Either way, its a nice car and won’t loose much money. Oh, and I lost the service book for my BMW – £7 to the customer helpline thing and they sent me a new one all stamped up.

Oh, and Hora, that was me..you do know nowt

Premier Icon Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mol – good idea.

To the stalker geeks – Pardon me for contributing to a thread about R32s seeing as I OWNED one for a year. Pardon me for comparing them to other cars seeing as that’s what the OP wanted. Pardon me for answering to personal rants from people with nothing better to do. I don’t feel the need to do the same (I only respond if yet another muppet has a go for no reason) – me happy, you Stalker Geeks not.

End of.

Flange – after the mk3 VR6, I expected the same but somehow the R32 gets away with it pretty well. It’s a bit understeery and slightly vague in certain situations but overall it’s a great handler. One of the few cars where Haldex AWD actually works pretty well.

Premier Icon Shandy
    Free Member

Boom. Bosh. Done. Yeah.

Premier Icon Tinners

plus1 Gachet and Molgrips
    LOL @SmugMatt, soft lad.
    A few pages back, I dared so suggest that our little egotist might be a bit foolish to be tussling with RS6s on a public road. I’m not against spirited driving, but the fact is that you can’t race against such high powered cars on the public road without reaching frankly ludicrous speeds. I know – I’ve done it on the track and I’d never drive like that on the road. Any way, Cornwall’s answer to Senna came with an euphemisticaly comical description of “out cornering” his RS6 (which was, presumably, driving Miss Daisy at the time to be doing anything other than mental speeds). Anyway, getting to the point, I was recounting his exploits to a few friends at the weekend, one of whom is a professional driver (shall we say) and we came across this little nugget:

The only time you “win” is when some gimp usually in a 2.0TDI Audi or Golf decides to try and prove himself (or more increasingly herself) by driving up your backside when you can’t move out of the way on a dual carriageway or motorway. So as the traffic clears, it can be fun to leave them for dust. Safely.

(Don’t you just love the single word “Safely” at the end? LOL). Now besides being a toe curlingly embarrassing statement, it gives another insight into the mentality. We also wondered what chapter of “Roadcraft” he was referring to with that manouvre.
    So don’t get wound up lads. File under “Internet braggart” and ignore.
    In answer to the original poster, I’m sure you’ll love an R32. I’d be very wary of buying anything without a service history, but at the least I’d get somebody in the know to give it a thorough looking over. Repairs can also be very costly when cars like this reach a certain age – cambelt changes, exhausts etc. But as long as you factor this in to your running cost, then fine. Great cars. If you go for it, I hope you get a good one.
    Now back to a bit of humour…..

Premier Icon molgrips

To the stalker geeks

Do you know what stalking is?

Pardon me for contributing

Contributing? You’re slamming everyone else’s opinion for differing with yours and insulting them in the worst possible terms you can come up with.

It’s not really that nice, Mat. Can’t you just say something like ‘well I’m not sure I agree with that, but whatever’ with a smile?

Premier Icon Zedsdead
    Free Member

hmmmm, well this has gone a bit off the beaten track…

Premier Icon s
    Free Member

rexated – Member

Been driving a mk4 gt tdi for a while, but looking for something a bit more grrr.
    There’s a 03 plate R32 at a local garage, 55k on the clock, tidy, just over £8k….but the catch is no service history. should i steer clear on that basis? wheels and tyres are new so i can’t really check easily to see how if it has been overly ragged or not.
    obviously i’d expect a car of this nature to have been pushed in its life, but i have never bought a car without any service history before….

wotchareckon?

Back to the OP

Rexated – that’s low milage for a car of that age? It would be easy enought as mentioned here to check with VW as to its service record with them?

No records of service history and low milage, would ring alarm bells for me, has it had more than one owner, has someone pranged it & repaired it?

How much would a clean example with the same age/milage go for with a VW service history?

Hang on…………… why am I bothering!

I think Rexated has long gone 😉

Premier Icon Gachet
    Free Member

I think he’s the stalker as he took the time to look at my profile and read through my past posts.

On re-reading the first page this made me laugh:

There’s utter cr4p being spouted here by many who have never driven or owned anything more exciting than a Vauxhall Astra

There he is again assuming that no-one actually owns a decent car.

Back on topic, I owned a Golf VR6 for several years and one thing I would mention is if you look at other higher mileage R32’s it is worth considering that the timing chain and tensioners need changing at 100,000 miles and if it costs a similar amount to my VR6 you’ll be looking at circa £1500. Worth bearing in mind if you are intending on keeping it for a few years.

Free Member

flange – Member
    I heard an R32 get wound round to the limiter the other day and it sounded immense, on noise alone this is a big bag of win.

My understanding was that having the V6 in it makes it a bit of a dog in the corners

Forgive me for getting back to the original topic. The R32 makes a great noise either at idle or at full whack. I love it, but wouldn’t buy it just for the noise.

The R32 handling is both brilliant and fun, as opposed to e.g the S3 which has huge amounts of grip but no feedback and therefore very dull. The trick as with any front wheel drive car is to unsettle it a bit by going in with a slightly trailing throttle and wind some lock on to get a bit of lift-off oversteer. Then power on, and the 4WD system just fires it out of the corner without the normal understeer you get from front wheel drive. Done that way, turn in is brilliant and exit speed phenomenal

Premier Icon Tinners

LOL 🙂
    Has anyone got a picture of that troll spray stuff they could post up around now? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Friday car thread: Golf Mk4 R32….any thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.