Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Friday Afternoon Dilemma (involves MIL)
  • TimP
    Free Member

The MIL has invited herself over for a few days and is bringing one of her sisters with her (no I wasn’t consulted!). The dilema involves my 14month old daughter, a stair gate and the in law asses…
    They both live in bungalows so dont really do stairs and moan about the fact we have 2 flights in our house (although the second is up to our room only so why it bothers her I dont know). As well as being ground lovers, they are both partial to the odd (OK lets be honest, regular) snack, and it hasnt done a great deal for their figures over the years.
    We need a stair gate for our 14month old whose favourite thing is to go up and down the stairs, but we have a lindam one with a gap in the middle that opens up. It opens up enough for us to get through without any problems, but there is no way they will get through.

Is it “My house, my rules” and the gate stays in and causes embarrassment or do we whip it out and keep the child on a tight leash for the few days and get it back in when they leave?

I am sure you will all be full of helpful suggestions…

BoardinBob

Your house, your rules

What would upset you more: injured child or grumpy MIL?

binners

staralfur
    Free Member

Keep it and indeed, make it narrower for your own amusement.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Is it “My house, my rules” and the gate stays in and causes embarrassment. or do we whip it out and keep the child on a tight leash for the few days and get it back in when they leave?

FIFY

Cougar

The MIL has invited herself over for a few days … and moan about the fact we have 2 flights in our house

I’ve isolated your problem.

“If yon’t like it, no-one’s forcing you to come.”

SiB
    Free Member

photos needed.

Not of stairgate.

druidh
    Free Member

Your childs safety vs what, exactly?

ourmaninthenorth

Gate stays.

Child doesn’t understand the risks of unprotected stairs.

Fat women (ought to) understand the risks of overeating.

Next!

binners

Simply modify your accomadation so they’ve no need to go upstairs

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Keep the stairgate but install a trampette in the hallway.

Might need a bit of a runup but I’m sure either of the fat lasses will make it onto the stairs.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

This has to be a troll
    😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

far better to inconvenience an adult to protect a child than endanger a child to not annoy a [fat assed] adult.

angryratio
    Free Member

Gets some horse tranquilizers then they’ll sleep in the shed the entire length of ‘visit’ then send them on way after a few days..
    they’ll remember little… probably.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

For some reason mountains and Mohammed came to mind…so, either a huge box of whatever crap they like to eat during the night/all through the day in their room, or camps beds in the garage or a tent outside so they don’t suffer the trauma of having to go through the stairgate.

BlobOnAStick

….thought this was going to be about Men In Lycra.

I don’t really understand why I clicked on the link.

wwaswas

go out and blow £20 on a new stair gate with a wider opening and then everyone’s happy?

this one opens fully;

http://www.johnlewis.com/230767371/Product.aspx?source=63258

TimP
    Free Member

To be fair we have a door at the bottom of the stairs so it is at the top and we are very rarely up there with my daughter loose so it is not essential and only gets used 2-3 times a week.

Fat women (ought to) understand the risks of overeating.

is so very true!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Tell them that they are not welcome.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Anyhoos – if they are that fat and blubbery, won’t it just pass through the gate as such…

ArcticBeast
    Free Member

Leave gate in, and invest in a camera for hilarious youtube clips to be posted up afterwards.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Newgate

TimP
    Free Member

SBZ, the MIL is WELL aware of my feelings towards her, but she feels it is her right to see her grand daughter.

philconsequence
    Free Member

send the other-half and daughter to the elephant-in-law’s for the weekend. get drunk with riding buddies and film yourself bunnyhopping over the gate.

MrNutt
    Free Member

leave a pot of this:

next to the gate?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

What’s a ‘ground lover?’

yossarian
    Free Member

Leave the stairgate and teach your child to make oinking noises whenever they come into the room

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

What’s a ‘ground lover?’

That’s between him and his MILILF

flippinheckler
    Free Member

If she moans about the gate just say to her “don’t you care about your granddaughters safety then”. Nuff said.

retro83
    Free Member

I could do with one of these narrow gates to prevent me gaining access to the fridge

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Make them up a bed in the kitchen. No need for them to use stair gate and they’ll be handy for the fridge. Everyone’s a winner!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Leave the stairgate and teach your child to make oinking noises whenever they come into the room

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

hels
    Free Member

Surely this should be Gategate ??

TimP
    Free Member

She does “mooo” and “woof” but no “oink” yet!
    I do like the idea of her mooing at the MIL though, that really would make the stay more enjoyable

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You lot are slacking on a Friday

Wee in their shoes, own them with bombers then nuke from orbit, its the only way to be sure they wont complain abotu the stairgate.

wwaswas

Surely this should be Gategate

Cow&Gate?

If they can’t last 8 hours without food, I’d be concerned about leaving them alone with a small child.

chakaping
    Free Member

She does “mooo” and “woof” but no “oink” yet!

Get her watching Peppa Pig now then, there’s still time.

Shouldn’t you really be disappearing off with your bike in the car just as she arrives anyway though?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Get her watching Peppa Pig now then, there’s still time.

Yeah, then as MIL just happens to be walking through the room you can shout loudly ‘look at that fat little piggie’ then innocently claim to MIL that you meant Peppa on the telly. 8)

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Back in the days when parents parented and stair gates weren’t invented we’d be more concerned about being hospitable.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Friday Afternoon Dilemma (involves MIL)’ is closed to new replies.