Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Frame decision, 29er yes but Stooge/Dirty Harry/Ritchey/Yeti or alternatives?
  • vondally
    Free Member

Dear all need some decision help on next bike frame, really it is aimed at

completing the Fred Whitton (did 103 miles this year on Rocky Mountain Element full suss 29er and if successful in the entering and being accepted would like to complete)
    Bike touring from overnight to a couple of weeks
    Training on road and off, so a good few 70 to 90 milers
    minimum 70 degree head angle
    complements my Rocky Mountain full suss
    needs to be comfy and enjoyable
    does not cost the earth

So will run rigid carbon forks or 100mm travel or swop between the two needs to be less than 27lbs in weight, owned two on one scandal in 18 and 19.5 and at 6ft/5ft 11 and shrinking felt inbetween

I like the

Stooge
    …looks. made Brant giggle, seen the miles stooge riders have put in, full package in frame fork and bb, it seems to fit after a quick ride in Manchester, ANGLES
    downside….weight, not springy steel

Ritchey….looks, steel springy, angles sizing in 19 seems good, reviews look great

downers…..price, price

Dirty Harry………light, angles, bb is proper, price, light

downers………carbon and weight I am 200 lbs without gear, colour, it is an on one

Yeti….it is a yeti, price at chainreaction, angles,

downers .sizing borderline on a medium, carbon alu mix bonding issues?

Any alternatives?

Come on as a collective help me please!

swanny853

I wouldn’t want to load my dirty harry up, it certainly feels like a race bike rather than a tourer. To be fair to it, I’ve only run it with rigids which may not help the feeling of slight nervousness…

swanny853

Oh, what about a kinesis ff29?

Wally

5’11” with a large dirty harry(19). 100mm rebas.I also like the threaded Bb. One small issue, Px no longer list them. But they do come up in classifieds
    Fast_ but not a load lugger_more a squirt of a bike. Makes you want to ride fast,especially up.

singlesteed
    Free Member

The dirty harry was imo super good ride and I was 230lbs ish, never flinched.
    Decent finish in matt carbon. Nice features as you say proper BB and tapered headtube.

Is positively a bargain at around £400 or so if you can find one.

Couldn’t see any downfalls my self tbh.

Was my first foray into carbon frames and was a revelation.

vondally
    Free Member

HI thanks so far seen all as frame only, now, hence the need to make a decision, the harry is a light frame which is great for riding and training, I realise that it is trying to get the best compromise

thanks so fat really good stuff

not a kinesis fan, angles look 71/73…….really like the scandal and rocky at 69 ish

Gotama
    Free Member

Jones? Same angles and ride theory as the Stooge but in my opinion a much better fork (be it truss or traditional), jiggery pokery with the tubing profile adds a certain something to the ride and if you’re going to use it for touring then the diamond frame has all the right mounts etc on it.

vondally
    Free Member

Jones just a little bit more than I want to pay alas………….. 🙁

takisawa2

Swift / El-Mar ?

If I were buying again the El-Mar would be right up there.

NormalMan

In true ‘recommend what you ride’ STW tradition:

Cotic Solaris.

vondally
    Free Member

Thanks so far any other thoughts

Cheezpleez

Stooge is springier than you’d think and I find it v comfy. It’s not the lightest but it’s incredibly versatile and feels bombproof. FF29 would also be a good call – the angles are near identical to a Scandal IIRC. Swift/El Mar/Karate Monkey/Inbred are all perfect for what you describe. Or a Lurcher if you can put up with the looks and the press fit BB.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

May have a Jones diamond and truss fork up for sale………just a thought at the moment – email is in profile

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Frame decision, 29er yes but Stooge/Dirty Harry/Ritchey/Yeti or alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.