Road map of Death..

Home Forum Chat Forum Road map of Death..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Road map of Death..
  • Jamie

Well, that’s morbidly fascinating.

ti_pin_man

that is actually quite fascinating in a morbid way. Nobody has died on my commute route on a bike but quite a few around and about, one of which was a 94 year old man on a bike, 94!

barkm

often wondered why this hasn’t been done before by an official organisation (highways agency etc).

In about a 10 mile radius around me there has been 6 times the amount of pedestrian fatalities, than cycle. Kind of puts things into perspective.

dai21t

Only cycling related death near me was an 8 year old pedestrian killed by a cyclist.

bikebouy

Hmmm,
    At home (on the Coast) 1 person killed by bike (about 1/2 a mile away from my home) no pedestrians…
    In Town (Canary Wharf) none kiled by bike where I am until you get to Shorditch area (the other side of Shadwell) 1 pedestrian until, again, you get up towards Shorditch again.

Seems to me I’m in a safe(ish) area either way 8)

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Fascinating indeed.
    A 79 year old female motorcyclist was killed on my commute. That’s gotta be pretty unusual.
    Only 1 cyclist, on a roundabout that I avoid.

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

Literally.. over the last 10 years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15975720

Premier Icon sandwicheater
    Subscriber

No cyclist deaths on my commute. Would seem almost all of the 14 deaths occurred on the weekend in the early hours at junctions.

morbidly fascinating

Couldn’t agree more.

Premier Icon mangoridebike
    Subscriber

6 or 7 on the 10 mile stretch of road I drive into work each day, its only up to 2010 though so you could add another 4 to that total.

Mostly cars, one cyclist (Jason MacIntyre)

Premier Icon pictonroad
    Subscriber

6 pedestrians deaths in my town, all 70-100 yr olds. 😐

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

A total of 36,371 people were killed on Britain’s roads between 1999 and 2010

That is such a huge number, and it’s totally socially acceptable for some reason.

Premier Icon mintimperial
    Subscriber

In about a 10 mile radius around me there has been 6 times the amount of pedestrian fatalities, than cycle. Kind of puts things into perspective.

That depends on your viewpoint. Absolute numbers, i.e. total deaths, don’t tell you everything. Nearly everyone is a pedestrian at some point, but relatively few ride a bike. So there are far, far more pedestrians than cyclists, and you would expect far more of them to die even when they are much less likely to be killed on the roads.

For real perspective, as an individual, you want to know your own personal risk. So you need to know something like deaths per 100k of a given group, or deaths per 100k hours travelling or something like that (even deaths per million kms/miles travelled doesn’t tell you much because motor vehicles move much further than bikes on average, and pedestrians much less). I would be surprised if cyclists aren’t massively over-represented as a proportion of deaths compared to most other user groups. This would basically be because there is so little infrastructure, whereas pedestrians get pavements, dedicated crossings, and greater respect from drivers, who are also pedestrians.

However, if you’re a policy-maker aiming to reduce casualties, logically you would look at total deaths. Perhaps this explains why cyclists get such a relatively shit deal on the roads? Not enough of us are getting KSIed for it to be worth making an effort…

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Wow, that is fascinating.

tinribz

Useful for commute route planning. Worrying pensioner and lorry themes.

bigyinn

1 cyclist in my local authority area in 5 years.

I only did it ‘cos they stole my only KOM.

barkm

6 pedestrians deaths in my town, all 70-100 yr olds.

yeh I noticed this also in my area, almost all peds killed were over 70.

Not a single school aged pedestrian killed.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Just clicked through a few bike ones out in the countryside. Out of half a dozen, two involved no other vehicles, just the bike 😯

Premier Icon 40mpg
    Subscriber

Not sure of the accuracy or how up-to-date their data is – there’s been 2 cyclist deaths near me in the past couple of years which aren’t shown on there.

whatnobeer

Not sure of the accuracy or how up-to-date their data is – there’s been 2 cyclist deaths near me in the past couple of years which aren’t shown on there.

Data is only up to 2010, says at the top of the page.

Scary and a little sad when you remember the accidents in question.

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

Not a single school aged pedestrian killed.

They’re all in cars all the time.

Premier Icon amedias
    Subscriber

Just clicked around on some of the other pages,

For every fatal collision, there is a one in two chance that the driver responsible has a criminal record, according to preliminary research by South Yorkshire police.

The researchers found that van drivers and truckers involved in a crash are amongst the most likely to have either a motoring offence or a criminal record.

Those two statements are quite fascinating…

1 > ~50% of fatal collisions involve someone with a criminal record, there’s got to be some interesting discussions there about propensity of risk taking/disregarding rules.

2 > of those people involved in incidents, Professional drivers* are the ones most likely to have previous record of motoring offence. Must be some more data behind that, as you would expect professional drivers to be the most competent/less likely to have accident, but then they do a great deal more miles so I imagine that probably explains it

*I know it doesn’t say that specifically but vast majority of vans and trucks are driven for business rather than personal use.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

*I know it doesn’t say that specifically but vast majority of vans and trucks are driven for business rather than personal use.

Yes but driving a van for work doens’t make you a professional driver. You could be a professional builder or plumber etc.

Premier Icon amedias
    Subscriber

true, I was think more of the bigger vans and trucks, with test/license extended requirements.

For smaller vans with no extended requirements I have no idea what the split between professional drivers in fleet vehicles and self employed van drivers on the roads is though?

butcher

I don’t suppose it reflects accurately the number of accidents, but it’s interesting the disproportionate number of deaths of motorcyclists in certain areas. They seem to make up roughly 90% of fatalities on one road near me.

Premier Icon irc
    Subscriber

That is such a huge number, and it’s totally socially acceptable for some reason.

It’s not a big number in terms of overall deaths. Look locally to get it in perspective. In my council area there were no cyclist deaths out of 27 total RTA deaths. Roughly 3 a year.

In comparison deaths from all causes were 962 a year. So RTAs are around 1/3 of 1% of all deaths.

As for avoidable deaths. Smoking killed 192 a year. Alcohol killed 73. RTA deaths are trivial compared to other causes.

Tracker1972

For a clearer picture of what is going on on the roads, injuries as well as deaths I “like” the ITO road casualties map. Makes spotting the different classes of road user easier as well…

Pretty sure I found it via STW a while ago anyway…

konabunny

I don’t suppose it reflects accurately the number of accidents, but it’s interesting the disproportionate number of deaths of motorcyclists in certain areas. They seem to make up roughly 90% of fatalities on one road near me.

presumably those are roads where the guys are fanging it on their weekend sports bikes…?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Seems, statistically, that where I live you’re far more likely to die on a bus than a bicycle.

legolam

The majority of the cyclist deaths near me (NE England) seem to be on major dual carriageways eg A19, A69, A1058 (Coast Road), A1231 (Sunderland), A167 (central motorway), A189 (spine road). Makes you think twice about riding on a DC…

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

The difference between smoking and RTAs though is that someone else can kill you in an RTA when you’re doing nothing wrong at all. You could be just driving along carefully, paying attention, and someone can come flying around a blind bend on your side of the road, and it’s curtains.

It’s not always in your hands.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

yeh I noticed this also in my area, almost all peds killed were over 70.

Old people die very quickly from traumatic injuries that younger adults and even kids will survive from. Kids have a great compensatory mechanism but when it reaches it’s limit they go downhill fast. Adults have a reasonably good one and deteriorate a lot slower when to starts to fail. The elderly really don’t have a great compensatory mechanism so go downhill very rapidly.

BillMC

Looks like 2 cyclists killed in 11 years in Rutland and one of those was on the A1. The drivers round here are used to cyclists and generally are pretty good.

Premier Icon amedias
    Subscriber

What is obvious is that most of the fatal incidents are at or near junctions, not unexpected of course.

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

Round Luton it looks like its the big A roads that are danderous for cyclists

Amazing map

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Seem to recall that the RNLI had a campaign recently stating more people died at the beach than were killed cycling. We all know how dangerous it can be, but the chances of being killed are very, very small.

But data like this is great for commute planning for cyclists. I wish planners used it though.

samuri

Indeed. This is a great chart showing the causes of deaths. Puts things in perspective. Cycling is very safe, could be safer.

I read that 4 people a year die putting their trousers on. Go careful now.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/oct/28/mortality-statistics-causes-death-england-wales-2010#zoomed-picture

Premier Icon mintimperial
    Subscriber

I read that 4 people a year die putting their trousers on. Go careful now.

Heh. Meaning that you’re significantly more likely to be killed by your own trousers than by a RLJing/pavement cyclist…

BAN TROUSERS NOW!

Ewan

This was published in 2011…. it’d be interesting to see an updated version.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Nice, someone died on the exact point of my commute that I have the most concern over. I suppose it’s good to be right 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Road map of Death..’ is closed to new replies.