Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • FOX seal mod on a Joplin courtesy of LOCO TUNING
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

A few weeks ago Simon@LOCO sent me a Fox rear shock “fanny seal” (the one where the shaft enters the body of the shock) to replace the stock seal on the threaded/knurled top cap of the joplin.

Initial fitting was easy – remove post and base nut, remove guide blocks with a torx10, remove old seal and fit new seal, bob it back together.

2 VERY dirty gritty rides and all seams very good so far, the seal appears tighter but stiction is not an issue as i use fork juice on the shaft.

All in i am impressed so far – on the joplin 3 it was a clean and grease after EVERY wet/dirty ride!!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

any thoughts or anyone else done this?

mr_mills
    Free Member

Yep I’ve done mine and it seems better so far then the crappy original one. Only done a few rides with it so far but haven’t needed to take it to bits yet and I was doing it A LOT previously.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I am going to open it up and have a look after 2 more rides (previously it would be dirty and gritty but lets wait and see)

lipseal
    Free Member

Mr loco I’d buy a fanny seal 8)

carlos
    Free Member

Prob not as neat/stealthy as just fitting a different seal, but I’ve cut a short length of old inner tube and zip tied it top and bottom when the post was in its extended position. Doesn’t affect the adjustment action or drop. Alls clean and still looks lubed after a few wet and gritty rides round the Peak

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I did that with my joplin 3 until it broke when the top seal went 🙁

nuke

I’d been interested in doing this on my 2 Joplin 3 seatposts if Loco sells the seal separately. In conjunction with how I’m currently protecting my Jopins it should all work pretty well.

Not a pretty solution, but currently this has been working well for me…

Basically its a shock boot off a pair of old Manitou SX forks. The diameter is almost perfect…it’s zip tied at the top then at the bottom, the ribbed bit forms a nice slot over the twist off nut bit but can easily be but can easily be lifted to check for mud/water (Not that any has got in there). Works a treat…used it doing the SDW in a day in muddy conditions and no mud/water made it through. Might even risk using my Joplins in the Winter months 😯 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

looks like a vibrator

carlos
    Free Member

Ah right, I’m hoping to avoid that but will keep an eye on the seal, mines a 3″ joplin with 5″ of old tube on so everything that moves is covered. I’ll still strip it down at the same time I do my forks and lube/check etc.. only takes 5 mins

Nuke – Mine looks just like that but without the ribs

nuke

looks like a vibrator

Yep but given my Joplins have probably spent more days bust or at 2Pure this year than on the bike, I’m sticking with the Ann Summers look

Nuke – Mine looks just like that but without the ribs

Ribbed is more pleasurable handy as when the saddle is lowered the shock boot compresses in a uniform way unlike with a bit of inner tube which I also tried

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Just to report back 10 weeks in and no issues – clean as a whistle inside despite some sloppy rides (ooo errr)

cynic-al
    Free Member

So this is an upgrade over the newer CB fanny seal?

How come it’s not available from TFT etc?

Has anyone experimented with a valve at the base of the seatpost so when you push the shaft down it expels air (& hopefully crap) through the seal?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

How would that work al??

cynic-al
    Free Member

On my Joppers, a 1 or 2 I think, there was nowhere for the air to go so when you pushed the shaft down air/gunk farted out the fanny seal, when you pulled out it was sucked back in!

Drilling a wee hole in the base this alleviated the above problem…but a one-way air valve would allow air to be sucked in from below when pulling out then expelled through the fanny seal when pushing in – hopefully keeping some of the gunk out.

I may patent this just so I can call it “cynic-al’s fanny-fart mechanism”

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i THINK my joplin (newer style) has air holes in the base

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think the later ones do.

LoCo
    Free Member

Morning! I have another one of the brand new wiper seals spare, whoever mails me first with the answer to the following question gets it,
    Who or what has been alleged to have gone in to orbit on occasion? 😀

EDIT: couldn’t find the latest Joplin mod post hence used this thread

LoCo
    Free Member

Claimed! 😀

rob-jackson
    Free Member

bump

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘FOX seal mod on a Joplin courtesy of LOCO TUNING’ is closed to new replies.