Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fox Rear shock failure
  • Monster101

Hi folks

Looking for a bit of singletrack wisdom?

Did the Inners, xc run yesterday in glorious sunshine, just completed the top two sections fantastic run, the looked down to see oil pishin out the bottom of the shock and also from behind the pro pedal lever and rebound knob. The propedal lever is just spinning round and I needed to tighten it to keep going.

Rest of the ride the shock is thudding and harsh but still holding air!

Reading about the common issues seems my shock is fecked and needs either a full service or full factory rebuild by mojo or tf tuned. Has this happened to anyone else before? Its a triad off of a spesh stumpy 2008?

My understanding is that it’s going to be around £100 to fix, any alternatives? Replacement shock?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated……

Thanks

Alan

legend
    Free Member

yup sounds like the damper’s shat itself, s repair or replace are your only options.

Loco tuning are my personal favourite for customer service at the moment

coatesy
    Free Member

Probably the shaft seal, a tiny O-ring that costs pennies to buy, but needs a complete strip-down to reach and replace.

Rorschach
    Free Member

What they said. It’s 3 years overdue for a service anyway :0/

SBrock
    Free Member

3 years without a service”…….what did you expect?

Monster101

It has been serviced before, shock mounts etc all replaced and bearings for the full back end done two weeks ago,

Any views in getting it fixed, would standard service do it?

Recommendations?

Loco
    Mojo
    TF tuned

Or Dales up in Glasgow (now mojo/fox accredited)

Thanks for your help guys

Alan

Potdog
    Free Member

RP23 by any chance?

Had 3 of them do this recently on the hire bikes. Apparently the o-ring seal on the propedal / rebound shaft dries out a bit and eventually gives way.

It isn’t a seal that you can replace yourself unless you have the facility to refill the nitrogen cartridge.

Of to TFTuned or Mojo. Luckily mine were under warranty.

EDIT…..Just read the post properly and see it’s a Triad. Probably very similar problem to the RP23’s though 😳

LoCo
    Free Member

As said above the shock requires a full strip and service to replace that seal as well as the other internal seals as it’ll be over due at 3 years old.
    Dales don’t do rear shocks other than a basic ‘service’ which is just replacing the air seals, they’d have to send it away for a damper rebuild.

steveh

J tech are the best I’ve found of late.

garage-dweller

My sympathy!

My 04 Enduro shock stuck down a couple of weeks ago – I just slotted a new Float R in there today (£230 later). Worse than you I’d not ridden it for two years, pumped it up and went out. I somehow suspect it was time up anyhow for that shock!

Mojo were very helpful but also are working on just about a week’s turnaround at the minute + posting. Can’t fault the service when I have used them and the advice given over the phone.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Your stuck down enduro shock probably just needed a new air seal, no damper service necessary (but prob worthwhile).

IIRC The triads have a bit of a rep for doing that.

Monster101

Loco, was thinking of phoning you guys in the morning!

Ill email you

Alan

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fox Rear shock failure’ is closed to new replies.