Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Fox low friction seals…
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

Anyone fitted the “new” low friction fox fork seals? are they any different at all? worth the extra money?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Definitely worth it. Go for them. The performance improvements of the 2012 but without the massive price tags and shiny gold. The seals make far more of a difference than the Kashima coating.

danjthomas
    Free Member

Expect that answer..ill give em a whirl then.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes, definatly.

danjthomas
    Free Member

LoCo can i buy the bits n piece through your website for delivery? Im determined to service my own forks after the weekend coming. I was on Loco earlier and am not sure what oil to buy. fox 32rl 140mm 2009,

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes, orders are by phone, during office hours, the SKF seals are in short supply until mid March, but can spare a set 😉 Motul Factoryline (fully synthetic) 10 wt works best in those. 😀

pjm84
    Free Member

I bought the service items from Loco and went with these seals. For 70hrs use the forks were clean as a whistle however I stripped, cleaned, reoiled and put the low friction seal kit in.

I cycled the forks and thought bloody hell no difference. They feel the same. Loco told me they would bed in within a couple of rides so off I went on my first ride on my “cracking” Giant hardtail and within 20km I had completely forgotten about the front forks. They were so plush and smooth. Well worth it.

danjthomas
    Free Member

Cheers loco. Expect a call soon.

danjthomas
    Free Member

Do i actually need the Float fluid 5ml sachet?

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I was riding at Afan at the weekend and on the first day my Fox F100rl forks started leaking.

So on Saturday morning I popped into Skyline cycles,and got tem to fit the new low friction seal kit.

I`m not sure if my original seals were just a duff set,but the new seals are great.My forks were suffering from stiction on the first part of the stroke,now that has gone and they are just nice and plush.

I will see how they go for long term reliability but I rode Skyline and did Whites level with the new seals and they worked brilliantly.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Loco, out of interest, are these low friction seals the SKF ones?

Also these low friction seals, how good are they at sealing compared to the std fox ones?

foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 🙂

dirtydog
    Free Member

+1 for SKF seals.

Fitted a pair to a set of 36s, they have made a noticeable difference.

I agree with getonyourbike,in terms of stiction there’s no perceivable difference in mine and a friends 2011 Kashima 36s

@danjthomas Fox now advise soaking foam rings in 10wt oil

LoCo
    Free Member

Slightly better sealing apparantly.

pedlad

Was thinking of ordering some of these as only ever done the seal/float fluid service so guessing the seals could do with swapping out.

Whilst at it thought I’d swap the oil, but I’ve found contradictory advice on web – one set of instructions found on here seem very straightforward letting oil drain out of bottom holes, whilst some others on web show/describe removing the top lockout dial and draining from there…I’m confused now!

Taff
    Free Member

Pedlad. Undo the bottom nuts a little, tap the to free the rods then undor completely. Pull the stantions clear and most of the oil will drain out. You will still have to cycle the damper assenbly to get the rest of the oil out,

Bike Magic
    Fox racing guide for mine
    but you’ll find yours HERE

pedlad

relaunched thread – as I’ve just acquired a new bike with almost new 150mm open bath RL’s – how can you tell if they have the low friction SKF seals?

stcolin
    Free Member

If you look at the part of the seal that meets the lowers section, there is a little notch/groove every 10mm or so. Well that’s what the new ones look like on my Vanilla 32’s.

Don’t really notice much of a difference over the older standard seals…apart from not pissing oil everywhere 😀

LoCo
    Free Member

will say skf on seal lip in really small letters

prezet
    Free Member

Are the 12/2013 Fox forks likely to come with these now as standard?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Just serviced my forks (lots of hours overdue 😀 ) and stuck in the low friction kit. The stanchions showed no sign of wear (phew) and there was cock all oil in there!!! However I do turn my bike upside down after every ride and use silicone lube on the stanchions.
    Back OT the service is a piece of wee wee to do! I was gob smacked! The only major drama I had, was being an oaf and kicking over my new bottle of Fox green suspension oil 🙁 The rear shock is the next job 😀

rickon
    Free Member

Monkeychild – if there was no oil in the lowers the oil may have migrated to the air chamber. Easy to check, let all the air out, and undo the air bolt on the top of the leg, if you can see any oil then extract it and top up with 5cc of float fluid… then you need to have the seals replaced at some point.

No oil in the lowers is bad, as that’s what lubricates the stanchions, no oil = worn stanchions.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Fox low friction seals…’ is closed to new replies.