Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fox forks. Which ones to avoid?
  • sharkattack

My LBS has a Fox fork hanging in its used section. It’s crying out to be fitted to my Bfe.

I’ve never had a Fox fork before but I know they’ve had their issues. I’ve seen them massively slated on here but all the recent reviews are very favourable. Just not sure where these ones fit in.

The fork in question is a 36, 160mm travel. I think it’s a Float R which makes it pretty basic right? It has a Fit sticker on it. Kashima stanchions, gold decals. As for condition, you can’t tell it’s ever left the shop. It’s been fitted to a bike but it’s immaculate. Price to me is £250.

Could I reduce the travel? 160 is pushing it I think. My current Revelation is 150 and I’ve thought of lowering it. Would I be forever doing oil changes? Would they dive through the travel if I set them up to feel nice, and have to be run rock hard to prevent bottoming?

I could service my Revelation which are notchy and stiff but I’m sucked in by the looks of the fat, gold beast. It would look amazing. There’s nothing wrong with just wanting something is there?

Please talk me into, or out of it.

khani
    Free Member

The Fit dampers the one to have, I think it’s the open bath versions that are not as good,
    Floats were the pick of the bunch imo, non of the stiction of the Talas versions and lighter than Vans, I’m pretty sure you can space em down in 10mm increments too,

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Travel can be reduced, 250 sounds good. It’s at the burly end of things so maybe a bit overkill. Just check it’s not too heavy. Also for that price things like the avalanche damper come into play – awesome custom setup header than box price on a pike

BearBack
    Free Member

For complete info, ask for the 4 digit code on the rear of the lowers. Input to Fox’s website bike>upgrade and it will give you all the info

pigeonthing
    Free Member

…sounds like a good deal, my only query would be lowering them, would that be to 140 or 150?
    a 36 may be a bit beefy for less travel, 32 or 34 may be better option, (although its not available)
    I’ve got a range of fox forks 32float 36 talas and 40S and love them all…never had an issue with them….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Personally wouldn’t want a 32 over 120mm just not stiff enough, great XC fork but not a LT one. Lowering can be done in 10mm increments I think or maybe 20mm, see the mojo site for the spacers, quick and easy job.

sharkattack

Thanks for the info. Was it the ones before these, the CTD that caused all the commotion?

It’s at the burly end of things so maybe a bit overkill

Not for the way I ride 😉 I do ride it all day but I always detour to the DH tracks and big jumps if I can.

I just remembered I had a long term loan of a bike a few years ago that had a 150mm 32 on it. That was a very flexy fork especially when I got it into my preferred terrain. I much prefer the idea of a shorter 36.

Still, what about service intervals? Do you have to drop the lowers off every 8 hours or something?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep that’s what I do on 34s happily.
    36’s never got CTD and that was a year by year and variable issue.
    Service is up there but keep them clean and you can service less often

sharkattack

Yes, I’m sure you do but there’s no 34’s in the shop! I just happened across these ones. If I don’t buy them I won’t be hunting out any others.

I might go back to the shop with my bike and see how they measure up.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fox forks. Which ones to avoid?’ is closed to new replies.