Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • fox float rp23-air pressure
  • Jonwilly74
    Free Member

can anyone tell me how much air you need to put in the the rp23 boost valve, i’ve just put 250psi in mine just to get the sag right?? is this right or is there something wrong with the shock?
    Thanks

Jonwilly74
    Free Member

forgot to add I’m about 15 stone

retro83
    Free Member

you mean air chamber, the boost valve is pre-set, and nobody can know without knowing what bike you ride. If the sag looks okay then you’re reet, they’re okay upto 300 ish …

Jonwilly74
    Free Member

thanks for that,

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

Usually a good starting point is your weight in lbs in psi. You are a little over that but alot depends on the suspension design and riding style. Have a look at the manual for your specific RP23 or download it from the fox website. The propedal settings for my 2008 RP23 are:

• (1) PROPEDAL Light
    • (2) PROPEDAL Medium
    • (3) PROPEDAL Firm

Having moved from a shock with a full lockout I found 1 & 2 to be too bouncy pedalling uphill but pp3 is just about right. It is a dream of a shock once bedded in.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

For the boost valve they usually recommend 1xPsi per lb in weight, so the guide for you would be 210psi. Then +/- psi to suit riding style.

Jonwilly74
    Free Member

thanks for that, one other question, there does not seem to be much difference when the pp is on than when its off, again is this right?

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Do you mean ‘not much difference’ when sat on the seat and weighting it or ‘not much difference’ when pedaling up hill? IMO you don’t really see a difference until the pedaling comes in to play.

igm

What bike is it? Manufacturers have different tunes on the propedal to suit the bike. I’m going to get mine tweaked when I get it serviced as the number 3 setting is about where I’d like the number 2 setting to be in terms of amount of platform – TF reckon they can do this.

Jonwilly74
    Free Member

thats a big help, I haven’t actually rode it yet, build it up yesterday and just been “fine tuning” so i’ll let rip tomorrow and see how it goes
    Thanks

WillC9999
    Free Member

All the above advice makes sense to me. I run 150psi rear and 75psi front (F120) and am 13st 9lb. Best bet is just to set your sag right and then try to remember the psi’s! I fine the 1st pp setting does fine on ascents. How you pedal is important too – you can learn not to bounce like a kid on a space hopper eventually.

Jonwilly74
    Free Member

igm -its a scott spark, the previous owner took the scott shock off and put the rp23 on instead

igm

A guy at work has a Spark – I’ll ask him what he’s got air wise.

igm

No good – he has a DT shock.

Jonwilly74
    Free Member

cheers mate, no problem, been out on bike, air is leaking from shock, ordered seal kit. 🙁

MarkyG82

You could try stripping and rebuilding without a new seal. Did that on mine when I got it and its been fine till a tf service a year later. Cleaning out the valve core helped alot too.

Jonwilly74
    Free Member

thanks for that 😀

ian martin
    Free Member

On my Orange 5 I run my RP23 @ 190psi and I only weigh 75kg.
    What pressure do you guys run?

Jonwilly74
    Free Member

I had a RP23 on my yeti asr and ran it at 180psi and I’m over 90kg!!

I think a lot depends on bike style n riding style ❓

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

1kg = 2.2lbs
    75kg = 165lb
    90kg = 198lb
    In our survey of just 2 people we can conclude that:
    With an RP23 on an Orange 5 the nature of the design means you run a little higher psi than your weight in lbs.
    Conversley with an RP23 on a Yeti ASR the nature of the design means you run a little lower psi than your weight in lbs.
    (Depending on riding style)

igm

About right. At just over 100kg I run circa 245lb on my Alpine.

deviant
    Free Member

Same here, single pivot frame and having to run much higher pressure than on the fox website/chart….the shock is good for 300psi though so no drama.

LoCo
    Free Member

As above shock rated for upto 300psi, this may overwhelm the damping though (rebound) so may need a tune to keep it slow enough.
    Have a look at the setup guide here:

http://locotuning.co.uk/tech-info.html

😀

rickon
    Free Member

I’m 11st, and have about 175psi in my Spark RP23. You do need a high amount of PSI for the Spark to pedal properly – what compress tune does the shock have? The Spark needs a medium tune at least.

If Propedal is working properly you should find it harder to push through the travel in the first 10% or so of the shock – although I’m sure LoCo can correct me 😉

stewartc
    Free Member

Have a ASR-5, and for my weight (93kg) the manual puts the figure for the RP23 at around 190psi. If you can find your bikes manual on-line you should be able to get the intiial setup info in that, most people will then adjust this to suit their own riding style.

rickon
    Free Member

The manual for a Spark wont help, as it’s specced with a DTSwiss shock.

You should notice the difference with Propedal on or off….

katko
    Free Member

Hi guys, I just got a new 2012 Fox RP23 shock with Boost Valve and Adaptive logic (Rebound tune M, Velocity tune M, Boost Valve tune 200) and installed it on my Spark. Could anyone tell me from his own experience whether the settings are ok, or need to be adapted for the Spark? Moreover, I used the RS mounting hardware 6*22,2mm but there is still a little side play on the shock with screws fully tightened, is this ok? I reckon not…
    Getting the right air pressure looks to be quite tricky too, I tried 190 psi for my 85 kg, but after some posts here, I will probably end up a bit higher for a 9,5 mm sag…

Jonwilly74
    Free Member

most of what you’ve put is a foreign language to me, but I’ve got the same shock on my spark and had to put 250psi in it for the right sag, i’m about 90kg, with the screws fully tightened the is no play at all,, not sure if this helps???? 8)

katko
    Free Member

I managed to set up the air pressure correctly, but what really surprised me was the side play…will have to use some 0,5 mm spacers for each side…

Jonwilly74
    Free Member

just out of curiosity what psi did you end up putting in

katko
    Free Member

I got to some 220 as far as I remember, but I will adjust that for sure after some proper riding…still too much snow everywhere… 🙂

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Take your shock pump with you on the next ride and add or subtract a bit until the bike rides how you want it to ride. Then note pressure for future. Im 74kg with camelbak etc and use 150 psi in Zesty RP23. If the pro pedal makes the shock locked out your using too much air. It should provide a stiffer ride but still provide full suspension action.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘fox float rp23-air pressure’ is closed to new replies.