Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fox Float 36 or 36 Talas?
  • si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

I am thinking of replacing the Fox 32 RLC float on my Chumba XCL with something longer, but not sure what to go with having never used any of the Fox 36 line up. Do i REALLY need travel adjust?

Does any one have crown heights for the 32 and 36 series, so i can see what difference it will make to the XCL? For info, the XCL has a 68 head angle with 140mm fox’s.

Ta,

si

auricgoldfinger

MTBR have the A2C measurements somewhere in the suspension forum.

I run a 36 TALAS on my DW Turner 5 Spot. Having fiddled with the stack height recently it has improved the handling and feel of the fork at 160mm such that I’m able to run it like that more or less the whole time. Other weekend in the Peaks only about 1 climb where I felt the need to wind it down again. I was surprised at how much difference a couple of spacers made to be honest. So, I could probably do without it most of the time, but on a bike that goes up a lot as well as down the TALAS still seems worthwhile and is still a very nice plush fork.

heihei

Si,

The Floats are internally adjustable which as well as reducing travel also reduces a-c. Get the Floats, and if you find too choppy then reduce internally. Thats what I did on my 5-Spot.

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

Thanks for that guys, will prob go for the Float, take out the stem spacers and see how i get on. I do know guys in the US have run their Chumba XCl’s with 36’s so should be OK.

Rickos
    Free Member

Go middle ground and try the 150mm Talas 32’s. I’ve got a set and they’re ace. I used to have Pikes and never used the U-turn as it took way too long with too many winds and twisty turns, but the Talas is just 2 clicks and it’s dropped from 150mm to 110mm. I find I use it quite often, just cos it’s easy.

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

Already have the 32’s and to be honest i fancy something that is stiffer and tracks better, hence the 36’s.

toons
    Free Member

heihei what did you change it too?

heihei

I haven’t yet! I’ve gone from a 70mm stem to a 50mm and have yet to find a situation where I wanted less travel / quicker steering, even on steep climbs. I went from a med HL Spot to a large DW Spot so the shorter stem works well. I may well reduce to 150mm to see if it makes much difference, but only if I’m particularly bored one evening!
    My mate just replaced his Pikes with Float 36’s set at 150mm on his TNT Spot and loves it.

james
    Free Member

“Does any one have crown heights for the 32 and 36 series”

I think its 511mm for a 140mm QR Fox 32 and 545mm for a fox 36

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fox Float 36 or 36 Talas?’ is closed to new replies.