Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fox FIT damper has burst – service possible?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I picked up some F150 RLC forks from eBay recently – that ‘could do with a service’, apparently..

Turns out the FIT bladder has burst 🙄

What are the best options for this?

And likely costs..?

scandal42
    Free Member

Best bet is to send them back and demand a refund for goods not being described properly.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

The forks were described as ‘lock-out not working’… took a punt on this probably being fixable by pumping the forks with the rebound on full. Wishful thinking… 🙄

I’ve since taken the damper out – and polished the paint on the lowers and crown, touched up scrapes and made them look really cosmetically nice, I’m not sure I can really return them now. They seller might wonder why he’s got forks returned in better condition than he sold them.. 😆

Just hoping I can fix the bladder issue for a reasonable cost, otherwise I’ve been a bit of a numpty.. 😕

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I’m guessing from the rather muted STW hive-mind response that I’m probably screwed.. Humph.. 😐

Anyone want a set of lovingly polished lowers and CSU from a set of Float 150 RLCs?

thejesmonddingo

I should think TFTuned will do it for you,probs about £300 looking at their site.

sr0093193
    Free Member

Yeah its possible. Around £50 last time one of our group had it done (same as your lockout not working). Took cartridge out, posted it off, they services it as they would do a full fork just without doing the whole dismantle / lowers / seals / rebuild part.

Rockshox include bladders in the full kit as they’re a wear part, sure fox would be the same.

LAT

If you can get a bladder then you can fix them at home if you like doing that kind of thing. I believe there are videos/instructions on the fox website.

You may be able to send the damper to someone for repairs if you don’t want the expense of a full service.

Edit- beaten to it

wiggles
    Free Member

Give mojo a ring and they will tell you how much it will take to sort itm

dirtydog
    Free Member

Just buy a damper service kit, bought one for my 36s as a spare so not fitted yet.

Think it was around 15 quid, came with bladder.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Where about are you?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Cheers – thanks guys… I’m based in Oxford ish.. Don’t much fancy rebuilding it myself – I’ve already lost a tiny retainer ball bearing from the lockout lever – and one that indexes the low speed compression dial. Don’t much fancy my chances with the rest of it!

TF tuned looked to be the cost of a fork service (£120) to service the damper, which presumably only covers labour – not parts..? Hmm..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TF tuned looked to be the cost of a fork service (£120) to service the damper, which presumably only covers labour – not parts..?

It includes the service parts, which the bladder sounds like it is. It only doesn’t include parts if there’s something wrong that isn’t normally serviced, like worn stanchions.

Give them a ring and ask, they might, as said above, just do the damper service for cheaper, although unless you’ve already done the seals etc I’d just get the whole lot done.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Okay.. I’ll give ’em another ring. Perhaps I was being overly pessimistic! Can’t seem to get hold of the great golden ratio nautilus that is LoCo though..

smatkins1
    Free Member

Going back a few years I burst the bladder a couple of times in my fork. Can’t remember it costing much more above a normal service to sort out. I’ve had great service from Sprung at the FOD and South Coast Suspension. It’d be worth getting them on the phone too as they usually work out cheaper and I’ve had fantastic service from both.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

So if you did want to do it yourself you’ll probably need some of the following-

Fox fit cartridge bleed tool 803-00-276 £20
    Fox 36mm dust wipers 803-00-933 £29.60
    Fox 10wt green oil 025-03-008 £17.23
    Fox 10wt red oil 025-02-003 £26.23
    Plus the bladder obviously which used to be available in a service kit for the 36 fork 803-00-685 but I think that p/n has been superseded now and the bladder is also available on its own.

All that assumes a 36 fork, although I think the bladder is common?

To strip the damper side down and replace the bladder will also need a clamp set to hold the damper rod in a vice, this is about £98 from fox.

Mojo and tftuned will do the work, I should think it’d be the service price plus the cartridge rebuild cost? I’ve had better service from mojo recently but previously tftuned have been very good so ymmv.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

A very good financial précis! 😉

… Apart from these are 32mm forks 🙂

Nevertheless servicing the damper myself is not something I’d want to do. I checked out Fox’s very comprehensive online instructions and by the time I reached fine-fiddly-step number 72, I realised that this option was not for me. ‘Ensure you replace each of the 14 shim stack washers in the correct order’. Ha-ha… Lolz.

The amazeballs that is LoCo has got back in touch though. Service cost appears to be more reasonable.. 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fox FIT damper has burst – service possible?’ is closed to new replies.