Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Found them! Where's the strangest place you've found a lost thing…?
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

After two days of turning the place upside-down, I have found my keys!

They were in the cardboard box with the tools* in the cupboard.

Where’s the strangest place you’ve found a lost thing?

My other record was the tiny top-box key my friend lost in a flooded field campsite we’d been forced to abandon in Wales. I found it in the long grass two days [and much searching by the loser of the keys] later, by approximating the location of the car and then tents, the walking backwards and forwards through the grass until success.

Can you beat that?

*Pulverising devices, according to some

bearnecessities

I once found my wallet in the fridge.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’d keep checking in case another appears!

fasthaggis

I found my heart repair kit in Andorra. 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

In my slob days I’d quite often find the TV remote in the fridge.

I found my car in Glastonbury, which I suppose everyone does eventually, it took a day and a half.

I once ‘found’ an old school mate who I hadn’t seen in 5 years, he walked into the shop I was working in – we were 10k miles from home at the time.

RobHilton
    Free Member

It wasn’t a weird place, but I lost the adjuster off a Fox shock on a mountainside, climbed back up for a while and found it where I somehow thought it would be. No crash or anything, just had a inkling – the people I was with couldn’t believe it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d lost my wedding ring for bloody ages – had pretty much given up on it – found it in tiny pocket in glove compartment when cleaning it out before trading it in. 😯

jekkyl

I have a tale of a nearly lost thing. Once when I cycled helvellyn I was picking my way down dollywaggon and passed some walkers, one shouted after me. It turns out that my saddle bag zip had worked it’s way loose and some of the contents had spilled out…. and my car key was sitting precariously on the lip of the fabric.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

My wife sleepwalks, so we get shoes in the fridge, purses in the washing machine and car keys in a bowl in a kitchen cupboard… The weirdest morning was when i went downstairs to find my bikes stacked on-top of one another in the living room with a blanket draped over them and a helmet carefully balanced like a cherry on top lol!

jekkyl

Another time when I had a golf I took the parcel shelf out on a random street to take my bike out, finished the ride and put the bike back in but forgot the shelf. I went back 3 days later after I had discovered it was missing and there it was leant against a random house on a terraced street.

GeForceJunky

Same as Rob, one main linkage bolt fell off my Canfield DH bike in Morzine. Walked 50m back up the trail and someone riding down stopped and said are you looking for this bolt? He’d picked it up quite far back along the trail! The chance of spotting it was tiny, it was a small black custom bolt!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

fasthaggis – Member

I found my heart repair kit in Andorra.

I suspect that’ll win for the cutest post of the thread award.

scaredypants

My wife sleepwalks, … and car keys in a bowl

Wonder which of the neighbours she’s dreaming about ! 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I lost a little penknife when I was a kid once, found it about 2 years later next to a pond where we used to go. It was well rusty by then.

My mum lost a watch, searched everywhere (obvious) to no avail so she did the usual, told the cops so she could get a reference no for insurance purposes, got paid by the insurance company. All good, then along came jam making season & she found her old watch in the bottom of the big brass jam pan.

tthew

Managed to find my dad’s glasses on a stoney river bed in south of France some years ago. He lost them jumping off a small cliff, first go I came up with them in my hand.

First day or two of a 2 week trip, to say he was relived is a bit of understatement!

I’ve also done the parcelshelf thing, but when buying a Christmas tree.

66deg
    Free Member

I suspect that’ll win for the cutest post of the thread award.

Not even close.

TimP
    Free Member

I too found my wallet in the fridge, a couple of days after a big night out. Sadly I had cancelled all the cards by then which was pretty annoying

toppers3933
    Free Member

Whisky waiting for the boat at lodore on derwent water was wading about in the water and found a pound coin in about 18″ of water. Not particularly amazing I’m aware but I was about 10 and it was a big deal.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Not even close.

His heart man, his heart!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Back on topic:

I’m very impressed with the glasses story. 🙂

CountZero

I lost a silver-mounted shark tooth from a chain I’d been wearing while on a bike ride one day. Thought it might be worth following the same route, and I actually found the damned thing lying in the middle of the Sustrans route out of Chippenham towards Calne! It’s only about 15mm across, so the chances were negligible.
    Pretty chuffed at finding it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I found my heart in a B&B in Minehead

alpin
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/jQFnCU]ring2[/url] by sod_the_taxman, on Flickr

the third ring the GF has given me after carelessly losing the other two (one whilst drunk, the other in the ocean). went for a ride and thought i heard money fall out of my pocket. as i was struggling and having a bad time going up (was kinda ill.. chest infection) thought “sod it.. a few €€s”. when i got to the top i realised the ring was missing. walked back up the trail later that day and found it sitting there in the middle of the path…. yipee!

molgrips
    Free Member

I did the remote in the fridge too.

If anyone sees my bike helmet, let me know 🙁

welshfarmer

The GF lost her car keys while visiting a friend in Brighton. She had them in her hand while jogging on the pebbles along the beach and realised they were no longer there when she got back to her friends flat. She retraced her route and found them in the cobbles. Talk about a needle in a haystack!

I once misplaced my passport for about 18 years (it still had 5 years left to run when lost). I distinctly remember putting it somewhere and thinking that it would be a really safe place. Too safe it seems. I never did remember where it was till my brother found it all those years later in the back of his gun cabinet!

binners

Every week, I used to find my mind, about mid-morning on a Sunday, in all manner of interesting places, from when I’d carelessly misplaced it some 12 hours earlier.

pocketrocket
    Free Member

Recently found my driving licence in the kitchen bin, thoughtfully placed in there by my 18 month old lad.

Bregante

My dad found nearly £1400* in a bin wagon once.

They were takings from our pub/restaurant which hadnt been banked over a bank holiday weekend. He’d “hidden it” it inside his newspaper in the lounge for safekeeping but forgot to share this snippet of info with my Mum, who promptly threw the paper away on bin day.

Cue some frantic driving round the streets and some somewhat confused binmen as my dad dived in the back and started rooting through bags.

*This was over 30 years ago and was a small fortune to him then.

Rich_s

Lost a 2mm grub screw from a radio controlled boat’s propshaft. In a 4ft deep garden pond. Full of very small black snails all of which were 2mm in size. In the evening. As the light faded we drained the pond via a kitchen sieve and once empty I went in and searched through the detritus by hand.

Only bloody found it once it was completely dark, but find it we did! And then off for some slap up fish and chips.

Basil

Didn’t realise I had lost 100 rounds of .223 until we moved and when throwing couch in the skip and 100 rounds scattered all over the street

donks
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    I’d lost my wedding ring for bloody ages – had pretty much given up on it – found it in tiny pocket in glove compartment when cleaning it out before trading it in.

I lost my wedding ring whilst the wife was away on holiday with her sister….. Told her as soon as she got back and she made me go and get another that day. Then I found the lost one in my climbing shoe.

Lost 20 quid at centre parcs one day and it put me in such a mood I insisted on searching the site for it…. And only found it in a hedge on the opposite side of the lake to where I realised I lost it

nasher
    Free Member

Was about to return to the UK and I couldn’t find my passport, so lots of haasle getting replacements, interviews in foreign passports office etc…

When I returned to Italy, I was cleaning the kitchen and when I moved the fridge, my passport was underneath!! no idea how it got there.

maccruiskeen

TV remote in the fridge. More than once. Its now the first place I look for it.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Lost the rebound adjuster from some brand new Boxxers. Spent an hour looking for it.

About 6 weeks later was back in the woods, watching someone ride. Looked down and spotted an oak leaf between my feet with my rebound adjuster cupped in it!

Cougar

Once lost a mobile phone at Leeds festival. Put it down on the grass when I was sat watching a band, forgot and sodded off without it. It was found, completely coincidentally, by a mate of mine who’d happened past a little later. That was a confusing conversation when I rang it and she answered.

just recently, lost a battery charger somewhere in the house. Waited a month before replacing it, looking everywhere. Ordered a replacement, which arrived yesterday. True to form, I found the original this morning.

arcadian
    Free Member

Drove away from the car park at one of the local forests, heard a scrape clunk noise halfway down the lane and thought nothing of it (assumed it was the bike in the back of the car) until I got to the turn off onto the A road and realised I had left my phone on the roof of the car before driving off.

Parked back up and had a quick look around before thinking there was no chance of seeing it until I looked at the puddle at my feet, stuck my hand in and came out with a miraculously undamaged (fallen off a car at 10 or 15 mph into a 2 inch deep puddle) Samsung Galaxy S3 phone. It even started working again after being dried off!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Lost my wallet not an unusual occurence and I knew it was in the flat having done some online shopping so I decided not cancel, eventually gave up a week later and cancelled the cards then grabbed my bike for a ride. got on and started to pedal and reallised it wasn’t right got off to investigate only to find wallet well and truelly wedged between cassette and spokes.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

joshvegas could be in the lead here…

Cougar – can’t resist:
    Did you find the old one when putting the new one away in theplacewherethechargerlives?

Cougar

Hah. No, it was in a rucksack I’d missed unpacking from an earlier holiday.

JohnnyPanic

Back in the 80’s I found an old wage packet of mine stuffed at the back of a drawer with it’s complete contents of £110. I hadn’t even realised it was missing. How on earth I’d not realised I was that much short I don’t know.

Cycling home once 1 mile into a 5 mile commute I heard a ‘ching’ noise but disregarded it. Got home to find I had no keys… Cycled back and found them still in the gutter.

Climbing on Gimmer crag one sunny weekend we were at the half way ledge and I dropped my guidebook. Shouted out and about half a pitch down (and almost out of sight) this hand appeared and plucked it neatly out of the sky. When they got up to us on the ledge it was a bloke I’d done some winter climbing with 18 months previously! I was gobsmacked.

Xylene
    Free Member

I entered the subway station in Seoul with a golf umbrella in my hand. By time I had travelled 100m to the train down some stairs, it had gone.

Sadly I never found it again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Found them! Where's the strangest place you've found a lost thing…?’ is closed to new replies.