Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • formula rx hose shortening?
  • renton
    Free Member

Just got my new rx brakes fitted and now need to trim the rear hose.

Is it as easy to do as the newer Shimano brakes?

If so where can I buy just the olive and the insert for the formula hose?

Thanks

Steve

MarkLG
    Free Member

CRC sell olives and inserts individually. If you’re careful you can shorten them without doing a bleed.
    The RX’s I fitted to my hardtail needed bleeding after the 1st ride, and new pads after the first encounter with mud, so it may be worth getting a bleed kit and some spare pads at the same time 😉

onandon
    Free Member

I did a pair last weekend and managed to get away without needing to re-bleed.

cazum
    Free Member

just reminded me that i needed to try and adjust my pad contact on my RX’s but there is no adjustment…..
    bit of googling and it seems just drop the wheels/discs pump the leave a few times then separate the pads just enough for the disc to fit it! now my brakes are perfect!

just in case anyone else reading that is having similar problems

andytherocketeer

My boxed set of K18’s came with spare insert and olive, plus the instructions on how to trim it. Do Formula not include those any more, or were they OEM ones?

renton
    Free Member

They came from crc in the formula packaging but there was no spare olives etc.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

If they are anything like the The Ones, then bleeding is well easy once you get the ‘knack’ You have to let go of all previous experience (hope, hayes etc) and accept that it’s very different. In fact, it’s actually very simple and easy to do. If the brakes a brand new then even easier, if on the bike I recommend using those plastic clips that can easily be removed to position the lever body in a vice to correctly orientate (frees up a hand too).

Then it really is just attach a syringe to each end of the system, with a bit of fluid in each, and push-pul unil all the air is out. I tend to remove the lever body from the vice (or jig) to change it’s orientation, give it a few taps etc, then a few more push-pulling of the fluid to finish off with a little over pressure before replacing the grub screw…not too much, just a very gentle ‘there you go’ 😉

As you put a little pressure into the system (with the bottom now closed) be sure to give the lever a couple of very short (2-4mm) squeezes.

Did mine yonks ago, still bang on just don’t expect the organic pads to last past the car part 😛

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘formula rx hose shortening?’ is closed to new replies.