Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • I can just feel my fitness ebbing away.
  • oldfart

Well what little I had ! Combination of things time constraints , crap weather , time of year .Lately most rides have been local affairs mostly greenlanes ,got a couple of mates back into riding after many years .Has been good in one respect but need to start trying to ride harder in between .Think I usually get like this towards the end of winter and this years seems to have dragged even more? Roll on a months time ! Maybe I should crack on and book another foreign trip , give me some motivation .

therealhoops
    Free Member

+1

jota180
    Free Member

give me some motivation .

It ebbs and flows, mine’s currently in the ascendency after a terrible January, it’ll be back before you know it.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Don’t think you’ll be the only one with the weather rapidly diminishing whta little motivation we had!

fasthaggis

It’s the time of year init .

I always think Jan/Feb can be the hardest months to drag your Rs out the door.
    Soon be Spring 🙂

brooess
    Free Member

Commute? A great way to get the miles in and keep the legs moving?

emsz
    Free Member

God, I haven’t done any serious running since beginning of Jan. weathers been awful and motivation as been shit. Any way, went for a short run Sunday, and my legs are killing today!!

oldnick

I have cunningly avoided my usual winter slump by tearing ligaments and breaking a bone in my knee. Thus I have a really good excuse not to ride my bike at all!

Looking forward to a hot sweaty dusty Switchbacks holiday when I’m fit again 🙂

oldnick

I have cunningly avoided my usual winter slump by tearing ligaments and breaking a bone in my knee. Thus I have a really good excuse not to ride my bike at all!

Looking forward to a hot sweaty dusty Switchbacks holiday when I’m fit again 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

I was ruined by riding in the South of France over Xmas – all that has now become a distant memory – like school holidays.

This weather is sapping me.

Ive resorted to actually riding my mountain bike on back roads round where I live and commuting to work. Wearing out my new Nobby Nicks !

Apart from today as we had 10cm of snow, which will then make the rest of the week shite 🙁

neilchristie
    Free Member

It’s funny but now that I am a dad, I look out of the window and think “yep- I would go out in that!” even when it’s minging weather! So ‘make the most of it while you can’ is my thought for the day 😉

rocketman
    Free Member

Mine ebbs away until I take a couple of High 5 Xtremes 🙂

Kryton57

I just looked at some long range forecasts in the hope of spreading some good news vibes.

Sorry, similar conditions until end of March, possibly drier in the SE, same temps.

Tomorrow, I shall be mostly scouting a bridleway route to avoid the currently almost unrideable forest singletrack…. never in the past have I had to do that. 😐

andrewh
    Free Member

I usually get like this towards the end of winter and this years seems to have dragged even more

It’s been winter since November 2011, 16 straight months of it, no wonder you are fed up.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Soon be Spring

Yeah would be nice to get one this year.

+1 on the whole feeling crap can’t be arsed. but still managing to get out and about.

jota180
    Free Member

Yeah would be nice to get one this year

We’ve been getting decent Springs IMO
    Was it last year that we had the warmest March for 100 years?

Clover

Weather’s so rubbish that I went *swimming* (in a real pool, this is not a metaphor) last night. Drier and warmer than riding.

Never feel fit this time of year. The only thing for it is…. Hit the North. Kill or cure treatment.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Using a turbo trainer this winter in a fight to stop the glimmer of fitness I have disappearing. Really bloody boring, but my theory is that when the real riding begins, i will have that extra level to make me enjoy it more,

richardk
    Free Member

Have you heard of Strava oldgit? I think this would be great to help with your motivation. Have a look at the KOM sections for your local area and see if you could beat some of them.

ollieT
    Free Member

Road bike, Road bike! go on give in you know you what to? Its all thats keeping me going at the moment.

cakefest
    Free Member

This is what you need.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Think I usually get like this towards the end of winter and this years seems to have dragged even more?

I find this gets worse as you get older. Last winter was particularly bad is it seemed to last until the end of April.

In previous years I’ve found it helps to have a big hairy audacious goal like the Marmotte or Etape to get fit for but I’ve nothing like that this year so motivation is in short supply.

ashfanman
    Free Member

I used to get this during the winter until I bought an ex-gym spin bike. I’m now probably fitter than I’ve been at any point since school.

Set it up in front of the TV and now do 70 minutes a day, six days a week – unless I’m out on the actual bike, obviously. Don’t need to worry about weather, getting kit ready or washing mud off afterwards. Works for me.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Winter Road bike + Commuting + Strava is the only thing keeping me going!

cinnamon_girl

Lol at oldfart and I don’t believe you! How you doing, out on the Q’s much? 🙂

TheSanityAssassin

ollie T – Member

Road bike, Road bike! go on give in you know you what to? Its all thats keeping me going at the moment.

This.
    I managed 114 miles in crappy conditions yesterday, whereas there’d have been very little chance of me hossing myself to go slogging through mud on the mtb.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

Have you heard of Strava oldgit? I think this would be great to help with your motivation. Have a look at the KOM sections for your local area and see if you could beat some of them.

+1 for Strava as a motivational tool. I entered the Base Mile January challenge with a goal of averaging 20 miles a day throughout January. Despite the snow I ended up doing 624 miles with a day to spare!

Although the next challenge may be a little too much so soon in the year! But I’ll give it a go 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I have cunningly avoided my usual winter slump by tearing ligaments and breaking a bone in my knee.

pfft, I throw something like this in every 2 years (torn ankle ligaments 2007, broken knee 2009, broken elbow and torn-off ligament 2011) to really spice it up.

Have bought ‘time crunched cyclist’ and intend to try a programme mar-april-may to get me in some sort of shape for june (bikefest) so having some sort of goal might help with motivation.

+1 for a road bike, my purchase was well timed given the 18 month rainy season we’ve had and Ive ridden it more than my HT, FS and R1 combined. Trimix is just a roadie in denial now… 😀

grum
    Free Member

Doing better this winter than most years TBH.

We’ve been getting decent Springs IMO
    Was it last year that we had the warmest March for 100 years?

Yup last year the only summer we had was in March.

woody2000

I’m giving the MTB a miss quite a bit at the moment, but keeping up the road riding as much as possible (100 miles or so a week). Using Endomondo to log rides has been a good motivational tool, as has entering a couple of events in Mar/April. Seriously though, it’s only weather and riding is riding whether it’s road or mtb. DO IT! 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

thinking of selling my bikes and taking up an indoor sport, like cards or computer games, darts perhaps?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘I can just feel my fitness ebbing away.’ is closed to new replies.