Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Forks…more air or more compression ?
  • bigdan6
    Free Member

Hi all,

If I run 33% sag on forks it feels ‘wallowy’ on steep/tech stuff, but great on rock gardens etc.
    If I increase low speed compression I get a reverse of the above.

Any advice on what I should be doing to get the best compromise?

(Would it be wrong to run 25% sag and no low speed compression? Would this get round it).
    It’s a Fox Float 140 RLC

Cheers

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is it bottoming out or getting close to?

25% sag is fine

You should get the spring rate ( air pressure) right first and then adjust damping. using compression damping to mask a too soft spring rate gives a harsh unresponsive ride IMO / IME

Locos setup guide is good
    http://locotuning.co.uk/tech-info.html

bigdan6
    Free Member

Thanks TJ. It does seem to blow through its travel.

If I put more air in (25%) do I need to adjust rebound? (I’m thinking it would spring-back quicker than when at 33% sag set at same rebound)

mboy
    Free Member

Fox Floats are very linear for an air fork.

The consequence of this is you want to run less sag than you would normally for other forks, typically 25% max where you might run say 30% fine one the equivalent Rockshox.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If its blowing thru its travel and taking into account what mboy says then more air. there is no right answer – its whats right for you.

check how much travel you get as well

bigdan6
    Free Member

Thanks guys. So set sag at 25% no compression and go for a spin.

I’ll report back in a few days,

Cheers again

(I do love this forum 🙂

MrsToast
    Free Member

Yeah, more air, had exactly the same on mine. Curiously never had it as bad with old open bath Fox forks.

Edit: This is Mr Toast posting on MrsToast account accidentally. 😡 Glad I posted here and not on one of the more controversial threads.

DrP

And yes, more air pressure would require you to increase (slow down) the rebound damping….

DrP

bigdan6
    Free Member

Woo woo!

Set the front and rear to 25% sag & light/no compression. Took it for a spin round the Peak District:

No wollowy mushy suspension! Tis fabulous. Climbs much better too. Only thing, with having 210psi in the rear shock (to acheive 25% sag), even with the rebound fully on it still feels a little to ‘quick.

Does it need tuning? If so, how much?

Cheers guys

lhabitantdepointe
    Free Member

loco is your man

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Forks…more air or more compression ?’ is closed to new replies.